Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question on wiring a plug (not a socket)

Need to replace the plug on a battery charger due to someone breaking off
the grounding prong, and am not absolutely certain on how to hook up the
other two prongs. I know that black is hot and white is neutral, but does
the black go to the left prong (normally a little "wider" than the right,
but not on the replacement I bought) and white to the right, or reverse?
Somebody please enliighten me, before I plug this thing up and damage it.
Many thanks.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/11/2011 7:24 PM, Dave wrote:
Need to replace the plug on a battery charger due to someone breaking off
the grounding prong, and am not absolutely certain on how to hook up the
other two prongs. I know that black is hot and white is neutral, but does
the black go to the left prong (normally a little "wider" than the right,
but not on the replacement I bought) and white to the right, or reverse?
Somebody please enliighten me, before I plug this thing up and damage it.

The wider blade is the neutral, narrower, hot.

On a polarized plug, as well as the wider blade the screw terminals
should show a color change that is discernible as lighter/darker.

Facing a receptacle w/ the ground at the top, the neutral is to your right.

Receptacle 2-pole/3-wire

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 5/11/2011 7:24 PM, Dave wrote:
Need to replace the plug on a battery charger due to someone breaking off
the grounding prong, and am not absolutely certain on how to hook up the
other two prongs. I know that black is hot and white is neutral, but
does
the black go to the left prong (normally a little "wider" than the right,
but not on the replacement I bought) and white to the right, or reverse?
Somebody please enliighten me, before I plug this thing up and damage it.

The wider blade is the neutral, narrower, hot.

On a polarized plug, as well as the wider blade the screw terminals should
show a color change that is discernible as lighter/darker.

Facing a receptacle w/ the ground at the top, the neutral is to your
right.

Receptacle 2-pole/3-wire

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. So, facing the wall socket, with ground on
the botton, hot is left and neutral is right? Sorry, I wasn't too clear at
first. Hope this is better...

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 May 2011 19:49:18 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 5/11/2011 7:24 PM, Dave wrote:
[...]

I don't think what you stated is correct. The best way to get it
right is to always connect the BLACK wire to the *narrow* blade. The
WHITE wire to the *wide* blade and the green wire to the round
"blade".
Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On May 11, 8:49*pm, "Dave" wrote:
"dpb" wrote in ....
On 5/11/2011 7:24 PM, Dave wrote:
Need to replace the plug on a battery charger due to someone breaking off
the grounding prong, and am not absolutely certain on how to hook up the
other two prongs. *I know that black is hot and white is neutral, but
does
the black go to the left prong (normally a little "wider" than the right,
but not on the replacement I bought) and white to the right, or reverse?
Somebody please enliighten me, before I plug this thing up and damage it.

The wider blade is the neutral, narrower, hot.

On a polarized plug, as well as the wider blade the screw terminals should
show a color change that is discernible as lighter/darker.

Facing a receptacle w/ the ground at the top, the neutral is to your
right.

* Receptacle 2-pole/3-wire

* * * * *G

* * * *| * | W
* * * * * *|

--

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. *So, facing the wall socket, with ground on
the botton, hot is left and neutral is right? *Sorry, I wasn't too clear at
first. *Hope this is better...

Dave

I Always look at the outlet. It alwas has small and wide slots, not
always like that on the plug

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave" wrote in
netamerica:

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. So, facing the wall socket, with
ground on the botton, hot is left and neutral is right?

Looking at the receptacle in the wall...

If the ground is at the BOTTOM,
then neutral (the wide slot) is on your LEFT.

If the ground is at the TOP,
then neutral (the wide slot) is on your RIGHT.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 8:04*pm, Tegger wrote:
"Dave" wrote ernetamerica:

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. *So, facing the wall socket, with
ground on the botton, hot is left and neutral is right?

Looking at the receptacle in the wall...

If the ground is at the BOTTOM,
then neutral (the wide slot) is on your LEFT.

If the ground is at the TOP,
then neutral (the wide slot) is on your RIGHT.

--
Tegger

Do what Mr. Crusher said to do, green to round blade, white to wide
blade, and black to narrow blade. It doesn't matter how you hold the
plug if you follow this procedure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave" wrote in message
netamerica...
Need to replace the plug on a battery charger due to someone breaking off
the grounding prong, and am not absolutely certain on how to hook up the
other two prongs. I know that black is hot and white is neutral, but does
the black go to the left prong (normally a little "wider" than the right,
but not on the replacement I bought) and white to the right, or reverse?
Somebody please enliighten me, before I plug this thing up and damage it.
Many thanks.

Dave

Guess you are talking about the US wiring. Hook the black wire to the brass
colored screw and the white wire to the silver colored screw. The green
goes to the green screw which will be the round prong.

You will not damage anything if you do switch the black and white wires. It
just will not be as safe to use. Usually not a problem for someting like a
battery charger.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 5/11/2011 7:24 PM, Dave wrote:
Need to replace the plug on a battery charger due to someone breaking off
the grounding prong, and am not absolutely certain on how to hook up the
other two prongs. I know that black is hot and white is neutral, but
does
the black go to the left prong (normally a little "wider" than the right,
but not on the replacement I bought) and white to the right, or reverse?
Somebody please enliighten me, before I plug this thing up and damage it.

The wider blade is the neutral, narrower, hot.

The way I remember this is that by making the narrow blad thee hot
blade, it means you can't push the wide blade which should not be hot
into the hot slot, so it's safer.

Despite how much sense this makes, 20 years after figuring this out, I
still get confused.

On a polarized plug, as well as the wider blade the screw terminals should
show a color change that is discernible as lighter/darker.

Facing a receptacle w/ the ground at the top, the neutral is to your
right.

Receptacle 2-pole/3-wire

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. So, facing the wall socket, with ground on
the botton, hot is left and neutral is right? Sorry, I wasn't too clear at
first. Hope this is better...

I didnt' read it.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 5/11/2011 7:24 PM, Dave wrote:
Need to replace the plug on a battery charger due to someone breaking off
the grounding prong, and am not absolutely certain on how to hook up the
other two prongs. I know that black is hot and white is neutral, but
does
the black go to the left prong (normally a little "wider" than the right,
but not on the replacement I bought)

And you supposed don't need different width blades on a three-pronged
plug because you can only plug it in one way (unless you plug it into
a narrow cube tap or break off the ground prong).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, all, for your assistance. I didn't even realize that the plug had
different colored screws. shaking head. Simple once you know what you are
doing. Your help is much appreciated.

Dave

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

"Dave" wrote in message
netamerica...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Most after market plugs, the black goes to gold, the white
to silver.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dave" wrote in message
netamerica...
Need to replace the plug on a battery charger due to someone
breaking off
the grounding prong, and am not absolutely certain on how to
hook up the
other two prongs. I know that black is hot and white is
neutral, but does
the black go to the left prong (normally a little "wider"
than the right,
but not on the replacement I bought) and white to the right,
or reverse?
Somebody please enliighten me, before I plug this thing up
and damage it.
Many thanks.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave wrote:

Need to replace the plug on a battery charger due to someone breaking off
the grounding prong, and am not absolutely certain on how to hook up the
other two prongs. I know that black is hot and white is neutral, but does
the black go to the left prong (normally a little "wider" than the right,
but not on the replacement I bought) and white to the right, or reverse?
Somebody please enliighten me, before I plug this thing up and damage it.
Many thanks.

Dave

When I needed to know that (to wirea plug), I looked at the recepticle and
got the answer a lot faster than asking people. You could too.

BTW, looking at recepticle, ground down, neutral on left.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"The Christian religion not only was at first attended with miracles,
but even at this day cannot be believed by any reasonable person without
one." -- David Hume
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 14, 6:44*pm, Mark Lloyd nothing@invalid wrote:

snip

When I needed to know that (to wirea plug), I looked at the recepticle and
got the answer a lot faster than asking people. You could too.

BTW, looking at recepticle, ground down, neutral on left.

snip

And hot (black) wire always goes to SMALL receptacle slot, ground
down, on the right.

Joe