Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Question on wiring a plug (not a socket)

On Wed, 11 May 2011 19:49:18 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 5/11/2011 7:24 PM, Dave wrote:
Need to replace the plug on a battery charger due to someone breaking off
the grounding prong, and am not absolutely certain on how to hook up the
other two prongs. I know that black is hot and white is neutral, but
does
the black go to the left prong (normally a little "wider" than the right,
but not on the replacement I bought) and white to the right, or reverse?
Somebody please enliighten me, before I plug this thing up and damage it.

The wider blade is the neutral, narrower, hot.

On a polarized plug, as well as the wider blade the screw terminals should
show a color change that is discernible as lighter/darker.

Facing a receptacle w/ the ground at the top, the neutral is to your
right.

Receptacle 2-pole/3-wire

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. So, facing the wall socket, with ground on
the botton, hot is left and neutral is right? Sorry, I wasn't too clear at
first. Hope this is better...

Dave

I don't think what you stated is correct. The best way to get it
right is to always connect the BLACK wire to the *narrow* blade. The
WHITE wire to the *wide* blade and the green wire to the round
"blade".