Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are Circuit Breakers of different brands interchangable

I have an electrical panel with Square D breakers.
They are duals, (2 breakers in one) 20 Amps each.
One breaker is tripping from time to time for no reason that I can see and I
want to replace it to see if that solves the problem. (I know I can swap
two identical breakers to see what happens but read on....)

I see Cuttler Hammer dual breakers for sale on Ebay at a low price, makes it
not worth the time to swap them..

Are the mechanical mounting and electrical connections standardized so that
I can use Cutler Hammer breakers in a panel with Square D's?

I know I need to match the electrical ratings...

thanks

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MarkK" wrote in message
I have an electrical panel with Square D breakers.
They are duals, (2 breakers in one) 20 Amps each.
One breaker is tripping from time to time for no reason that I can see and
want to replace it to see if that solves the problem. (I know I can swap
two identical breakers to see what happens but read on....)

I see Cuttler Hammer dual breakers for sale on Ebay at a low price, makes
it
not worth the time to swap them..

Are the mechanical mounting and electrical connections standardized so
that
I can use Cutler Hammer breakers in a panel with Square D's?

I know I need to match the electrical ratings...

thanks

Mark

Well, yes, no, and maybe. If the Square D that you have are "QO", than only
QO will fit. If the Square D that you have are "homeline", than a variety
of other manufacturers will fit. If the Cutler Hammer you're looking to buy
is "CH", with a sort of tan colored handle, it'll only fit in a "CH" panel.
If the Cutler Hammer you're looking to buy is a "BR" with a black handle it
will fit in the Square D, "Homeline" panel. Personally, I'd just go to
Depot and get a Square D breaker , although from your description, I doubt
the breaker is at fault.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 9:27*pm, "MarkK" wrote:
I have an electrical panel with Square D breakers.
They are duals, (2 breakers in one) 20 Amps each.
One breaker is tripping from time to time for no reason that I can see and I
want to replace it to see if that solves the problem. *(I know I can swap
two identical breakers to see what happens but read on....)

I see Cuttler Hammer dual breakers for sale on Ebay at a low price, makes it
not worth the time to swap them..

Are the mechanical mounting and electrical connections standardized so that
I can use Cutler Hammer breakers in a panel with Square D's?

I know *I need to match the electrical ratings...

thanks

Mark

Umm, no they are not, there are very few interchangeable
circuit breakers out there... Circuit breakers are made
to work with certain panels only, the ones they are
listed for... There is much more to it than the amperage
rating of the over current protection on the breaker...

The busbars in different panels are different sizes and
thicknesses and spacings, therefore the socket that
the various breakers have to accommodate the busbars
in the panels they are listed for use in varies depending
on the manufacturer and panel model line type...

Using an incorrect breaker for a panel might not be
obvious as it will "sorta fit" but won't line up properly
with the cutout in the panel cover, won't be in the
proper amount of contact with the busbar and might
not "clamp" into the panel properly...

Some questions for you a

-- How many actual circuits are there in your panel ?

It sounds like you are pushing maximum occupancy
limits if you have double-breakers (two circuits in a
single-pole single space unit) in your panel...

-- Have you verified that the circuit is not in fact
overloaded ?

The breaker might be working perfectly and tripping
because of an overload condition even though you
aren't aware that one is occurring...

-- Is one of the circuits in the double-breaker used
close to its amperage capacity on a regular basis ?

Those neat-o double-breakers can get hot when they
are used under full load constantly, and with twice
the heat from twice the number of circuits inside
the same space normally occupied by one breaker
device, the smaller components of the two breaker
mechanisms are more susceptible to being deformed
under high load high heat conditions...

Your problem could even be from an overloaded
circuit in an adjacent breaker which has malfunctioned
and failed to trip which is causing one of the two circuits
inside the double-breaker to nuisance trip from overheating...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

MarkK wrote:
I have an electrical panel with Square D breakers.
They are duals, (2 breakers in one) 20 Amps each.
One breaker is tripping from time to time for no reason that I can see and I
want to replace it to see if that solves the problem. (I know I can swap
two identical breakers to see what happens but read on....)

I see Cuttler Hammer dual breakers for sale on Ebay at a low price, makes it
not worth the time to swap them..

Are the mechanical mounting and electrical connections standardized so that
I can use Cutler Hammer breakers in a panel with Square D's?

I know I need to match the electrical ratings...

thanks

Mark

Hi,
I don't think breakers trip with no reason unless it is defective.
First thing I'd do is switch the load side wires around to see if
problem changes. Then you can decide what to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 9:27*pm, "MarkK" wrote:
I have an electrical panel with Square D breakers.
They are duals, (2 breakers in one) 20 Amps each.
One breaker is tripping from time to time for no reason that I can see and I
want to replace it to see if that solves the problem. *(I know I can swap
two identical breakers to see what happens but read on....)

I see Cuttler Hammer dual breakers for sale on Ebay at a low price, makes it
not worth the time to swap them..

Are the mechanical mounting and electrical connections standardized so that
I can use Cutler Hammer breakers in a panel with Square D's?

I know *I need to match the electrical ratings...

thanks

Mark

"I see Cuttler Hammer dual breakers for sale on Ebay at a low
price, makes it not worth the time to swap them."

Huh? How long does it take to loosen 2 screws, swap the wires from one
breaker to another and tighten the screws up again?

You could probably do that in less time than it takes to place the
order on eBay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 8:27*pm, "MarkK" wrote:
I have an electrical panel with Square D breakers.
They are duals, (2 breakers in one) 20 Amps each.
One breaker is tripping from time to time for no reason that I can see and I
want to replace it to see if that solves the problem. *(I know I can swap
two identical breakers to see what happens but read on....)

I see Cuttler Hammer dual breakers for sale on Ebay at a low price, makes it
not worth the time to swap them..

Are the mechanical mounting and electrical connections standardized so that
I can use Cutler Hammer breakers in a panel with Square D's?

I know *I need to match the electrical ratings...

thanks

Mark

swap the two wires on two breakers and see if the failure follows the
wire swap or follows the breaker. it is only two screws for heaven's
sake. If you do need a new breaker, take your old one with you to
make sure you get exactly the same shape/mounting,. Every
manufacturer has many various breakers, they change from time to time
due to NEC changes and apparently identical breakers may in fact not
be identical. The store should be able to cross-reference from your
defective breaker to current production if you need a new one. You
don't say how old the breakers are..
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 10 May 2011 21:40:48 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"MarkK" wrote in message
[...]

Is that what CH standa for, colored handle?

If the Cutler Hammer you're looking to buy is a "BR" with a black handle it
will fit in the Square D, "Homeline" panel. Personally, I'd just go to
Depot and get a Square D breaker , although from your description, I doubt
the breaker is at fault.

How come you doubt it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MarkK" wrote in message
[...]

Because it sounds like the panel in question is almost barely not
overloaded... So if the panel is overpopulated it isn't that much of
a stretch of the imagination that an individual circuit in such a
panel is not likewise over capacity or suffering from voltage drop
due to a longer run with a smaller incorrectly sized wire...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Evan wrote:

almost barely not

what the devil does that collection of words mean?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MarkK" wrote in message
[...]

In 40 years as an electrician, I get many calls where the customer has a
tripping circuit breaker. It is very rare when the cause is a defective
breaker. I will say, if the OP has Homeline split circuit breakers (half
size 20-20) type, I've had instances where I've seen those breakers trip
from vibrations near the panel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2011 5:45 AM, RBM wrote:
wrote in message
On Tue, 10 May 2011 21:40:48 -0400, wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

In a business where breakers are being tripped, I go around asking which
desks belong to women and I look under those desks. I'll bet
you know what I find. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 9:27*pm, "MarkK" wrote:
I have an electrical panel with Square D breakers.
They are duals, (2 breakers in one) 20 Amps each.
One breaker is tripping from time to time for no reason that I can see and I
want to replace it to see if that solves the problem. *(I know I can swap
two identical breakers to see what happens but read on....)

I see Cuttler Hammer dual breakers for sale on Ebay at a low price, makes it
not worth the time to swap them..

Are the mechanical mounting and electrical connections standardized so that
I can use Cutler Hammer breakers in a panel with Square D's?

I know *I need to match the electrical ratings...

thanks

Mark

No, you need to get a replacement breaker for your panel. The big box
diy stores have them and they are not expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

High amperage devices.....

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

In a business where breakers are being tripped, I go around
asking which
desks belong to women and I look under those desks. I'll bet
you know what I find. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MarkK" wrote in message
I have an electrical panel with Square D breakers.
They are duals, (2 breakers in one) 20 Amps each.
One breaker is tripping from time to time for no reason that I can see and
want to replace it to see if that solves the problem. (I know I can swap
two identical breakers to see what happens but read on....)

I see Cuttler Hammer dual breakers for sale on Ebay at a low price, makes
it
not worth the time to swap them..

Are the mechanical mounting and electrical connections standardized so
that
I can use Cutler Hammer breakers in a panel with Square D's?

I know I need to match the electrical ratings...

thanks

Mark

In many cases a breaker of a different brand will work just fine.

It will not pass an electrical inspection, at least not here, because the
breakers and the box are rated based on a single brand.

Sometimes the rating standard is exactly the same and it would pass, but the
inspectors take the easy way out. I sorta understand that. Inspecting each
breaker's ratings would be a PITA.

If it looks the same, mounts the same, has the same amperage and fits the
hole in the cover most likely you will be safe using it.

Specific to tandem breakers is the lockout method that prevents too many of
them being in the same box. It might be a hook or nubs on the side. Best
thing is to take the old one with you to the BORG and find an exact match
based on physical size and amps. The local Lowes carries CH breakers, the
Murrys and some of the GE as well as the Homeline are about the same.

There are some really old CH ones that are no longer made. That panel
should be replaced completely as it was recalled.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 3:51*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*Evan wrote:
almost barely not

what the devil does that collection of words mean?

And aside from those words, what sense does the rest of it make?
It's a long leap that because the guy says his panel has half size
breakers it means that it's overloaded and that is causing the
problem. I'd give the OP some credit for having the sense to
rule that out. It's also not clear that all the breakers are half
size, he could just mean the one in question is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote in newsrestwhich-
:

In article
,
Evan wrote:

almost barely not

what the devil does that collection of words mean?

Well, it's close to virtually almost barely not, but not quite.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in
m:

"MarkK" wrote in message
[...]

Happen to have any links to that? Don't have one. More a curiosity thing.
DOn't kill yourself looking gor it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 8:25*am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"MarkK" wrote in message

[...]

Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com

There is one exception to another brand of breaker in a panel failing
electrical inspection. Underwriters Recognized (UR) breakers will
pass inspection if the inspector is competent. The UR mark means that
Underwriters Laboratories has Recognized that breaker as suitable for
use in a panel of another brand and that it will meet the minimum
standards for that size and type of breaker in that use. At one time
Thomas & Betts made several such breakers but I don't believe that
they still do.
--
Tom Horne
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 9:27*pm, "MarkK" wrote:
I have an electrical panel with Square D breakers.
They are duals, (2 breakers in one) 20 Amps each.
One breaker is tripping from time to time for no reason that I can see and I
want to replace it to see if that solves the problem. *(I know I can swap
two identical breakers to see what happens but read on....)

I see Cuttler Hammer dual breakers for sale on Ebay at a low price, makes it
not worth the time to swap them..

Are the mechanical mounting and electrical connections standardized so that
I can use Cutler Hammer breakers in a panel with Square D's?

I know *I need to match the electrical ratings...

thanks

Mark

YES, YOU GOT LUCKY., THOSE TWO ARE COMPATIBLE.
IT's NO BIGGY..I'VE SEEN EM SWAPPED ALL THE TIME.
BUT IT IS ALL TO OBVIOUS YOU HAVE AN OVERLOAD CONDITION TO DEAL WITH.
BEST THAT YOU SOLVE THST FIRST.
TGITM
PAT ECUM

Posted to alt.home.repair

Breakers are designed to trip easier as they age, so a old breaker on
a heavily loaded circuit that trips perodicaly will eventually become
more sensitive and trip more.

I have seen this in my job too.

I used to fix machines at a circuit breaker manufacturer. it was a
fascinating plant, sadly 2/3rds has been torn down only a small
facility remains today... with very few workers
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 8:25*am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"MarkK" wrote in message

[...]

There is an exception to the breaker of a different manufacturer not
passing electrical inspection. If the breaker of a different
manufacturer is Classified for use in that panel board it will pass
inspection if the inspector is competent.

Quote:
98. Classified and Listed Compatibility List - A circuit
breaker that is both Classified and
Listed is marked on the side with the statement:
"This circuit breaker is Listed for use in circuit breaker enclosures
and panelboards intended and
marked for its use. This circuit breaker is Classified for use, where
the available short-circuit current
is 10 kA, 120/240 V ac or less, in the compatible panelboards shown in
Publication No. ______
provided with this circuit breaker. When used as a Classified circuit
breaker, do not use in
equipment connected to circuits having an available system short-
circuit current in excess of 10 kA,
120/240 V ac. If additional information is necessary, contact
[Classified circuit breaker
manufacturer's name]."
As one example many of the Cutler Hammer breakers are Classified for
use in other manufacturers panels.

--
Tom Horne
Posted to alt.home.repair

As one example many of the Cutler Hammer breakers are Classified for
use in other manufacturers panels.

--
Tom Horne- Hide quoted text -

the situation is a home not commercial, it's not MY home.

the breaker in question that trips from time to time feeds the gas
furnace, nothing else

when I go to check things out, I can start and stop the furnace and
blower many times and the breaker doesn't trip. I don't see anything
out of sorts in the furnace. No wires rubbing on sheet metal etc. I
have some experience with things electrical.

A week or so goes by and the breaker will have tripped.

The breaker may be getting old and tripping on the start up surge of
the blower...

The panal has Square D dual style breakers. Its been that way since
the house was built.

Throwing a "new" ebay breaker in there to see what happens is the
easiest as long as its $10 or so.

So I sould have asked two questions?

1) Will a Cuttler Hammer Breaker FIT and WORK in a Sqaure D panal?

2) Is it legal?

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

* It will not fit in a Square D QO panel. A Cutler Hammer CH (Tan handle)
breaker will only fit in a Cutler Hammer CH panel. The other type of Cutler
Hammer breaker (Black handle) may fit in a Square D Homeline panel, but it
is not approved for that. Check the labeling on the panel or cover and it
will tell you what circuit breakers are approved for that panel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 11:57*am, Mark wrote:
[...]

Is it soo difficult to just switch two wires and see if the fault is
with the breaker or the circuit???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 May 2011 04:40:50 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

On May 10, 9:27*pm, "MarkK" wrote:
I have an electrical panel with Square D breakers.
They are duals, (2 breakers in one) 20 Amps each.
One breaker is tripping from time to time for no reason that I can see and I
want to replace it to see if that solves the problem. *(I know I can swap
two identical breakers to see what happens but read on....)

I see Cuttler Hammer dual breakers for sale on Ebay at a low price, makes it
not worth the time to swap them..

Are the mechanical mounting and electrical connections standardized so that
I can use Cutler Hammer breakers in a panel with Square D's?

I know *I need to match the electrical ratings...

thanks

Mark

No, you need to get a replacement breaker for your panel. The big box
diy stores have them and they are not expensive.

If $35 is "not expensive". I'd swap some wires before replacing things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Colbyt" wrote in
m:

"MarkK" wrote in message
[...]

Red,

I don't and that recall was more than 25 years ago for panels made at least
35 years ago. I recall it because we had a store using that panel.

The owner did not want to upgrade the service so we just kept replacing
breakers as they died. The building is still in use so it has not burnt
down since then.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to MarkK, Power Electric - Orange County CA. wrote:
makolber wrote:

I have an electrical panel with Square D breakers.
They are duals, (2 breakers in one) 20 Amps each.
One breaker is tripping from time to time for no reason that I can see and

want to replace it to see if that solves the problem. (I know I can swap
two identical breakers to see what happens but read on....)
I see Cuttler Hammer dual breakers for sale on Ebay at a low price, makes

it
not worth the time to swap them..
Are the mechanical mounting and electrical connections standardized so that
I can use Cutler Hammer breakers in a panel with Square D's?
I know I need to match the electrical ratings...
thanks
Mark

No.
Just swap the two wires and see if the other breaker trips.
If it does, you do not need a breaker, you need an electrician to
determine and correct the fault.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the reply....but the house in question has been sold for about 4 years now.

Mark

Two breakers, one circuit drhender Home Repair 11 October 31st 08 10:07 PM
circuit breakers frank Home Repair 14 December 28th 06 11:58 PM
Do circuit breakers die of old age? [email protected] UK diy 12 November 10th 06 01:16 PM
Circuit Breakers Weatherlawyer UK diy 1 October 6th 06 08:38 AM
New circuit breakers Scott Smith Home Ownership 11 October 21st 04 12:56 PM