Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are Circuit Breakers of different brands interchangable

On May 10, 8:27*pm, "MarkK" wrote:
I have an electrical panel with Square D breakers.
They are duals, (2 breakers in one) 20 Amps each.
One breaker is tripping from time to time for no reason that I can see and I
want to replace it to see if that solves the problem. *(I know I can swap
two identical breakers to see what happens but read on....)

I see Cuttler Hammer dual breakers for sale on Ebay at a low price, makes it
not worth the time to swap them..

Are the mechanical mounting and electrical connections standardized so that
I can use Cutler Hammer breakers in a panel with Square D's?

I know *I need to match the electrical ratings...

thanks

Mark

swap the two wires on two breakers and see if the failure follows the
wire swap or follows the breaker. it is only two screws for heaven's
sake. If you do need a new breaker, take your old one with you to
make sure you get exactly the same shape/mounting,. Every
manufacturer has many various breakers, they change from time to time
due to NEC changes and apparently identical breakers may in fact not
be identical. The store should be able to cross-reference from your
defective breaker to current production if you need a new one. You
don't say how old the breakers are..