Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Are Circuit Breakers of different brands interchangable

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Colbyt" wrote in
m:

"MarkK" wrote in message
I have an electrical panel with Square D breakers.
They are duals, (2 breakers in one) 20 Amps each.
One breaker is tripping from time to time for no reason that I can
see and I
want to replace it to see if that solves the problem. (I know I can
swap two identical breakers to see what happens but read on....)

I see Cuttler Hammer dual breakers for sale on Ebay at a low price,
makes it
not worth the time to swap them..

Are the mechanical mounting and electrical connections standardized
so that
I can use Cutler Hammer breakers in a panel with Square D's?

I know I need to match the electrical ratings...

thanks

Mark

In many cases a breaker of a different brand will work just fine.

It will not pass an electrical inspection, at least not here, because
the breakers and the box are rated based on a single brand.

Sometimes the rating standard is exactly the same and it would pass,
but the inspectors take the easy way out. I sorta understand that.
Inspecting each breaker's ratings would be a PITA.

If it looks the same, mounts the same, has the same amperage and fits
the hole in the cover most likely you will be safe using it.

Specific to tandem breakers is the lockout method that prevents too
many of them being in the same box. It might be a hook or nubs on the
side. Best thing is to take the old one with you to the BORG and find
an exact match based on physical size and amps. The local Lowes
carries CH breakers, the Murrys and some of the GE as well as the
Homeline are about the same.

There are some really old CH ones that are no longer made. That panel
should be replaced completely as it was recalled.

That panel should be replaced completely as it was recalled.

Happen to have any links to that? Don't have one. More a curiosity thing.
DOn't kill yourself looking gor it.

Red,

I don't and that recall was more than 25 years ago for panels made at least
35 years ago. I recall it because we had a store using that panel.

The owner did not want to upgrade the service so we just kept replacing
breakers as they died. The building is still in use so it has not burnt
down since then.

Colbyt