Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Mark is offline

Default Are Circuit Breakers of different brands interchangable

As one example many of the Cutler Hammer breakers are Classified for
use in other manufacturers panels.

--
Tom Horne- Hide quoted text -

the situation is a home not commercial, it's not MY home.

the breaker in question that trips from time to time feeds the gas
furnace, nothing else

when I go to check things out, I can start and stop the furnace and
blower many times and the breaker doesn't trip. I don't see anything
out of sorts in the furnace. No wires rubbing on sheet metal etc. I
have some experience with things electrical.

A week or so goes by and the breaker will have tripped.

The breaker may be getting old and tripping on the start up surge of
the blower...

The panal has Square D dual style breakers. Its been that way since
the house was built.

Throwing a "new" ebay breaker in there to see what happens is the
easiest as long as its $10 or so.

So I sould have asked two questions?

1) Will a Cuttler Hammer Breaker FIT and WORK in a Sqaure D panal?

2) Is it legal?

Mark