Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dimmer on grinder

I am building a billiard ball polisher. All it takes is some type of motor
that will turn a turntable covered with carpet. Google how to build a
billiard ball polisher. I have an old right angle 7" grinder I never use
that would work. Can I safely put a dimmer on this to vary the speed and
slow it down?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I am building a billiard ball polisher. All it takes is some type of
motor that will turn a turntable covered with carpet. Google how to
build a billiard ball polisher. I have an old right angle 7" grinder
I never use that would work. Can I safely put a dimmer on this to
vary the speed and slow it down?

Steve

no. it most probably has a universal motor and this will burn it up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2011 11:42 AM, Steve B wrote:
I am building a billiard ball polisher. All it takes is some type of motor
that will turn a turntable covered with carpet. Google how to build a
billiard ball polisher. I have an old right angle 7" grinder I never use
that would work. Can I safely put a dimmer on this to vary the speed and
slow it down?

Steve

You really need an AC motor speed control. Here are three sold by W.W.
Grainger:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6dlzhxf

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6kupsdx

http://preview.tinyurl.com/5wr8ott

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2011 10:04 AM chaniarts spake thus:

Steve B wrote:

I am building a billiard ball polisher. All it takes is some type
of motor that will turn a turntable covered with carpet. Google
how to build a billiard ball polisher. I have an old right angle
7" grinder I never use that would work. Can I safely put a dimmer
on this to vary the speed and slow it down?

no. it most probably has a universal motor and this will burn it up.

Wrong. If it *does* have a "universal" (i.e., shunt-wired AC/DC motor
w/brushes), then a dimmer *will* work as a speed control. That's
essentially what variable-speed power tools use.

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang
where
here
l8tr
by

- from Usenet (what's *that*?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 May 2011 09:42:33 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I am building a billiard ball polisher. All it takes is some type of motor
that will turn a turntable covered with carpet. Google how to build a
billiard ball polisher. I have an old right angle 7" grinder I never use
that would work. Can I safely put a dimmer on this to vary the speed and
slow it down?

I think you'd be better off buying a $20 orbital polisher from HF. [or
a $35 one from Amazon or Walmart]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNPdZJXbpyc

There is a bit of randomness to its orbit that prevents it just
grooving a ball if a speck of crud gets in your polisher. Plus you
don't need to mess with the speed. [And what kind of welder are you
that you have a grinder you don't *need*.g ]

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 12:04*pm, "chaniarts" wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I am building a billiard ball polisher. *All it takes is some type of
motor that will turn a turntable covered with carpet. *Google how to
build a billiard ball polisher. *I have an old right angle 7" grinder
I never use that would work. *Can I safely put a dimmer on this to
vary the speed and slow it down?

Steve

no. it most probably has a universal motor and this will burn it up.

Wrong. David Nebenzahl is 100% right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Steve B wrote:
I am building a billiard ball polisher. All it takes is some type of motor
that will turn a turntable covered with carpet. Google how to build a
billiard ball polisher. I have an old right angle 7" grinder I never use
that would work. Can I safely put a dimmer on this to vary the speed and
slow it down?

Steve

Safely, probably yes; vary the speed, no.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Larry W" wrote in message
In article ,
Steve B wrote:
I am building a billiard ball polisher. All it takes is some type of
motor
that will turn a turntable covered with carpet. Google how to build a
billiard ball polisher. I have an old right angle 7" grinder I never use
that would work. Can I safely put a dimmer on this to vary the speed and
slow it down?

Steve

Safely, probably yes; vary the speed, no.

I have since found a brand new 1/3 hp electric motor in my shop that will
work perfectly with a little reduction.

hmmmmmmm. I wonder what else is out there ....................

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2011 4:29 PM Steve B spake thus:

"Larry W" wrote in message

In article , Steve B
wrote:

I am building a billiard ball polisher. All it takes is some
type of motor that will turn a turntable covered with carpet.
Google how to build a billiard ball polisher. I have an old
right angle 7" grinder I never use that would work. Can I safely
put a dimmer on this to vary the speed and slow it down?

Safely, probably yes; vary the speed, no.

I have since found a brand new 1/3 hp electric motor in my shop that will
work perfectly with a little reduction.

Well, whoa, wait a minute there, pal. You mean a regular induction
motor, like you'd find on a bench grinder, jig saw, that type of
stationary power tool? Sorry, you can't vary its speed with a dimmer.
That only works on "universal"-type motors (electric drills, etc.). You
know, the kind of motor that has brushes, sparks and all that.

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang
where
here
l8tr
by

- from Usenet (what's *that*?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 5/9/2011 4:29 PM Steve B spake thus:

"Larry W" wrote in message

In article , Steve B
wrote:

I am building a billiard ball polisher. All it takes is some
type of motor that will turn a turntable covered with carpet.
Google how to build a billiard ball polisher. I have an old
right angle 7" grinder I never use that would work. Can I safely
put a dimmer on this to vary the speed and slow it down?

Safely, probably yes; vary the speed, no.

I have since found a brand new 1/3 hp electric motor in my shop that will
work perfectly with a little reduction.

Well, whoa, wait a minute there, pal. You mean a regular induction
motor, like you'd find on a bench grinder, jig saw, that type of
stationary power tool? Sorry, you can't vary its speed with a dimmer.
That only works on "universal"-type motors (electric drills, etc.). You
know, the kind of motor that has brushes, sparks and all that.

"Reduction" usually means via mechanical means: gears, pulleys, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2011 6:52 PM Smitty Two spake thus:

In article , David
Nebenzahl wrote:

On 5/9/2011 4:29 PM Steve B spake thus:

I have since found a brand new 1/3 hp electric motor in my shop
that will work perfectly with a little reduction.

Well, whoa, wait a minute there, pal. You mean a regular induction
motor, like you'd find on a bench grinder, jig saw, that type of
stationary power tool? Sorry, you can't vary its speed with a dimmer.
That only works on "universal"-type motors (electric drills, etc.). You
know, the kind of motor that has brushes, sparks and all that.

"Reduction" usually means via mechanical means: gears, pulleys, etc.

Ah, so. That'll work fer sure.

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang
where
here
l8tr
by

- from Usenet (what's *that*?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 11:42*am, "Steve B" wrote:
I am building a billiard ball polisher. *All it takes is some type of motor
that will turn a turntable covered with carpet. *Google how to build a
billiard ball polisher. *I have an old right angle 7" grinder I never use
that would work. *Can I safely put a dimmer on this to vary the speed and
slow it down?

Steve

I would try it with a 2000 w dimmer, I don know if a regular dimmer
will work or even last with the startup surge but maybe it will. If it
doesnt work you know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 12:42*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I am building a billiard ball polisher. *All it takes is some type of motor
that will turn a turntable covered with carpet. *Google how to build a
billiard ball polisher. *I have an old right angle 7" grinder I never use
that would work. *Can I safely put a dimmer on this to vary the speed and
slow it down?

Steve

Why would you need to polish billard balls? You run a pool hall?
Fwiw, I use a vibrating bullet casing polisher to polish pinballs and
small pinball parts. It was pretty cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 May 2011 16:29:36 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Larry W" wrote in message
In article ,
Steve B wrote:
I am building a billiard ball polisher. All it takes is some type of
motor
that will turn a turntable covered with carpet. Google how to build a
billiard ball polisher. I have an old right angle 7" grinder I never use
that would work. Can I safely put a dimmer on this to vary the speed and
slow it down?

Steve

Safely, probably yes; vary the speed, no.

I have since found a brand new 1/3 hp electric motor in my shop that will
work perfectly with a little reduction.

hmmmmmmm. I wonder what else is out there ....................

Steve

It WILL slow it down. Some dimmers will take the counter EMF from the
brushed motor, some won't - so the "safely" part is a mabee. Won't
hurt the grinder, either way