Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need Help Re Pipe Connection

I have plastic water piping. I have an outside freeze-proof faucet
connected to this piping that I want to replace. Wouldn't you know
that the male end of the metal faucet threads into the female plastic
pipe such that the result has my faucet bib pointing straight up. When
I back off the connection in order to get the faucet to point
downward, the connection leaks.

I have heard I think that there is a glue or some such that one can
put on the threads in a case like this - let it set (set up) a while -
which will harden and be leak proof. Is there something? Should I
use it?

Thanks

Duke
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
I have plastic water piping. I have an outside freeze-proof faucet
connected to this piping that I want to replace. Wouldn't you know
that the male end of the metal faucet threads into the female
plastic
pipe such that the result has my faucet bib pointing straight up.
When
I back off the connection in order to get the faucet to point
downward, the connection leaks.

I have heard I think that there is a glue or some such that one can
put on the threads in a case like this - let it set (set up) a
while -
which will harden and be leak proof. Is there something? Should I
use it?

Thanks

Duke

Try teflon tape, then pipe joint compound on top of that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 May 2011 09:15:59 -0700, "Bill"
wrote:

Try teflon tape, then pipe joint compound on top of that.

Teflon I tried - twice. The compound I did not use.

Duke
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Try teflon tape, then pipe joint compound on top of that.

Teflon I tried - twice. *The compound I did not use.

Duke

Get a Shark Bite connector. A bit more expensive, but since they
swivel, you can point the spigot in any direction you want. Great for
connecting "plastic" (PEX?) to copper.

http://www.sharkbite.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 9:12*am, wrote:
I have plastic water piping. *I have an outside freeze-proof faucet
connected to this piping that I want to replace. *Wouldn't you know
that the male end of the metal faucet threads into the female plastic
pipe such that the result has my faucet bib pointing straight up. When
I back off the connection in order to get the faucet to point
downward, the connection leaks.

I have heard I think that there is a glue or some such that one can
put on the threads in a case like this - let it set (set up) a while -
which will harden and be leak proof. *Is there something? *Should I
use it?

Thanks

Duke

IME, overtightening causes most problems with plastic/metal
connectors. Undo it, clean off anything you have applied, 2 or 3
layers of teflon tape and snug it up but don't overtighten.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 5:12*pm, wrote:
I have plastic water piping. *I have an outside freeze-proof faucet
connected to this piping that I want to replace. *Wouldn't you know
that the male end of the metal faucet threads into the female plastic
pipe such that the result has my faucet bib pointing straight up. When
I back off the connection in order to get the faucet to point
downward, the connection leaks.

I have heard I think that there is a glue or some such that one can
put on the threads in a case like this - let it set (set up) a while -
which will harden and be leak proof. *Is there something? *Should I
use it?

Thanks

Duke

You need a fibre washer to make up the thickness.

Or, more old fashioned, hemp and jointing paste.

Or, if you can get one an, O ring if the pressure is not too great.

Or wind a pile of PTFE tape on to the pipe thread.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 2:28*am, harry wrote:
On May 8, 5:12*pm, wrote:

[...]

Or cut the plastic pipe. Thread it on the faucet. Then glue the
plastic back together with a union and the faucet pointed down.

I do prefer to only use plastic male and not plastic female. Plastic
female do crack sometimes when over tightened. You could add a metal
threaded union to the mix and switch the platsic end to male.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 May 2011 05:13:16 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

Or cut the plastic pipe. Thread it on the faucet. Then glue the
plastic back together with a union and the faucet pointed down.

That sounds good to me!

Thanks

Duke
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 2:28*am, harry wrote:
On May 8, 5:12*pm, wrote:

I have plastic water piping. *I have an outside freeze-proof faucet
connected to this piping that I want to replace. *Wouldn't you know
that the male end of the metal faucet threads into the female plastic
pipe such that the result has my faucet bib pointing straight up. When
I back off the connection in order to get the faucet to point
downward, the connection leaks.

I have heard I think that there is a glue or some such that one can
put on the threads in a case like this - let it set (set up) a while -
which will harden and be leak proof. *Is there something? *Should I
use it?

Thanks

Duke

You need a fibre washer to make up the thickness.

You don't use fibre washers on tapered threaded pipe fittings.

Or, more old fashioned, hemp and jointing paste.

Hemp is for smoking.

Or, if you can get one an, O ring if the pressure is not too great.

You don't use O rings on tapered threaded pipe fittings.

I'd try getting another half turn on the fitting. If that doesn't
work
then just cut out the existing PVC and start with a new piece
of PVC and female adaptor. Or you could end the new piece
with threads and use a metal coupling to join the sill cock
to it..

Or wind a pile of PTFE tape on to the pipe thread.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 4:24*pm, "
wrote:
On May 9, 2:28*am, harry wrote:

On May 8, 5:12*pm, wrote:

[...]

Or wind a pile of PTFE tape on to the pipe thread.- Hide quoted text -

Who says it's tapered?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 10:53*am, harry wrote:
On May 9, 4:24*pm, "
wrote:

On May 9, 2:28*am, harry wrote:

On May 8, 5:12*pm, wrote:

[...]

Who says it's tapered?- Hide quoted text -

Pipe, unless very unusual plumbing, = pipe thread = tapered.

Your suggestions got exactly respect they deserved, i.e., none.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 May 2011 13:18:39 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Another possibility I have occasionally had luck with. Unscrew the fitting into
the plastic female thread. Tighten a hose clamp tightly around the female
fitting. Then, with proper pipe dope, screw the male fitting back in.

Sounds plausible too. I will try the prior suggestion first, and if
that fails then maybe yours. But then again, if I do that, I probably
cannot do it your way,

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Another possibility I have occasionally had luck with. Unscrew the fitting into
the plastic female thread. Tighten a hose clamp tightly around the female
fitting. Then, with proper pipe dope, screw the male fitting back in.

Sounds plausible too. *I will try the prior suggestion first, and if
that fails then maybe yours. *But then again, if I do that, I probably
cannot do it your way,

Thanks

Just remember _don't overtighten_ I have the entire house done in PVC/
CPVC plus all underground feeds to standpipes. There isn't one
connection anywhere in it where I wouldn't be able to force anohter
1/2 turn. None of them have ever leaked excepted on female PVC/iron
adapter that cracked - I learned there never, ever use a female
plastic/iron adapter.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Another possibility I have occasionally had luck with. Unscrew the fitting into
the plastic female thread. Tighten a hose clamp tightly around the female
fitting. Then, with proper pipe dope, screw the male fitting back in.

Sounds plausible too. *I will try the prior suggestion first, and if
that fails then maybe yours. *But then again, if I do that, I probably
cannot do it your way,

Thanks

Just remember _don't overtighten_ *I have the entire house done in PVC/
CPVC plus all underground feeds to standpipes. *There isn't one
connection anywhere in it where I wouldn't be able to force anohter
1/2 turn. *None of them have ever leaked excepted on female PVC/iron
adapter that cracked - I learned there never, ever use a female
plastic/iron adapter.

Harry K

That's good advice. I've cracked female platsic fittings myself. My
lake house is plumbed with all cpvc/pvc. It has been fine as well.
When I have a threaded connection to make I use teflon pipe dope and
make the threaded connection first. Then glue the plastic.