Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Need Help Re Pipe Connection

On May 9, 10:53*am, harry wrote:
On May 9, 4:24*pm, "
wrote:

On May 9, 2:28*am, harry wrote:

On May 8, 5:12*pm, wrote:

I have plastic water piping. *I have an outside freeze-proof faucet
connected to this piping that I want to replace. *Wouldn't you know
that the male end of the metal faucet threads into the female plastic
pipe such that the result has my faucet bib pointing straight up. When
I back off the connection in order to get the faucet to point
downward, the connection leaks.

I have heard I think that there is a glue or some such that one can
put on the threads in a case like this - let it set (set up) a while -
which will harden and be leak proof. *Is there something? *Should I
use it?

Thanks

Duke

You need a fibre washer to make up the thickness.

You don't use fibre washers on tapered threaded pipe fittings.

Or, more old fashioned, hemp and jointing paste.

Hemp is for smoking.

Or, if you can get one an, O ring if the pressure is not too great.

You don't use O rings on tapered *threaded pipe fittings.

I'd try getting another half turn on the fitting. *If that doesn't
work
then just cut out the existing PVC and start with a new piece
of PVC and female adaptor. *Or you could end the new piece
with threads and use a metal coupling to join the sill cock
to it..

Or wind a pile of PTFE tape on to the pipe thread.- Hide quoted text -

Who says it's tapered?- Hide quoted text -

Pipe, unless very unusual plumbing, = pipe thread = tapered.

Your suggestions got exactly respect they deserved, i.e., none.

Harry K