Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof Hatch

I want to build a roof hatch using exterior grade plywood.What can I
use to cover the hatch besides roofing paper? What kind of paint can I
use?
Thanx.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 8:41*am, Joe Sanchez wrote:
I want to build a roof hatch using exterior grade plywood.What can I
use to cover the hatch besides roofing paper? What kind of paint can I
use?
Thanx.

Most of these are usually covered with metal or roof shingles. Paint
won't hold up and you'd be repainting it way more than you will like.

You might want to look for a prefabricated one. While it might seem
more expensive than building one from scratch it will save you in the
long run.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 7:58*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On May 4, 8:41*am, Joe Sanchez wrote:

I want to build a roof hatch using exterior grade plywood.What can I
use to cover the hatch besides roofing paper? What kind of paint can I
use?
Thanx.

Most of these are usually covered with metal or roof shingles. *Paint
won't hold up and you'd be repainting it way more than you will like.

You might want to look for a prefabricated one. *While it might seem
more expensive than building one from scratch it will save you in the
long run.

Is this in the house or a shed? If house water damage is a concern
you might also look at one of the openable skylights. I believe some
of those will allow a full open.

If building one, you might try a local sheet metal or HVAC
contractor. Either might bend up a galvanized cap similar to that
used on top of framed fireplace caps.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 11:04*am, RonB wrote:
[...]

Or even better, metal one that you can just buy already made.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 8:41*am, Joe Sanchez wrote:
I want to build a roof hatch using exterior grade plywood.What can I
use to cover the hatch besides roofing paper? What kind of paint can I
use?
Thanx.

Paint is fine for most applications -- but not a roof hatch that would
be
exposed to the weather 24/7...

Consider wrapping the parts of the hatch that will be exposed to the
weather with rubber roofing membrane -- that will remain water proof
MUCH longer than painted plywood anything could ever hope...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Evan wrote the following:
On May 4, 8:41 am, Joe Sanchez wrote:

I want to build a roof hatch using exterior grade plywood.What can I
use to cover the hatch besides roofing paper? What kind of paint can I
use?
Thanx.

Paint is fine for most applications -- but not a roof hatch that would
be
exposed to the weather 24/7...

Consider wrapping the parts of the hatch that will be exposed to the
weather with rubber roofing membrane -- that will remain water proof
MUCH longer than painted plywood anything could ever hope...

~~ Evan

No one has asked, is this to be built on a flat rood or a sloped roof?
Where is this roof located, Arizona, New England, Florida?
A lot of rain, snow, what?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2011 9:44 PM, Evan wrote:
On May 4, 8:41 am, Joe wrote:
I want to build a roof hatch using exterior grade plywood.What can I
use to cover the hatch besides roofing paper? What kind of paint can I
use?
Thanx.

Paint is fine for most applications -- but not a roof hatch that would
be
exposed to the weather 24/7...

Consider wrapping the parts of the hatch that will be exposed to the
weather with rubber roofing membrane -- that will remain water proof
MUCH longer than painted plywood anything could ever hope...

~~ Evan

I put this in the category of reinventing the wheel, when purpose-built
products are available. Google 'bilco roof hatch' for a quick example.
Up-front costs will be higher, but a quality product that is built to
the same standards as, say, a commercial truck bed tool box, will
provide many more years of low-upkeep service. And just for giggles, you
may want to talk to your insurance agent and/or local code office. A
roof hatch, AKA a chimney, may need to meet NFPA standards or something.

--
aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 10:27*pm, willshak wrote:
Evan wrote the following:

[...]

To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

I didn't figure it mattered for his question. Paint on plywood is not
going to hold up on either one.

Loft Hatch Roger Cain[_3_] UK diy 10 February 10th 11 04:25 PM
Insulating a loft hatch PeterC UK diy 22 December 20th 10 04:45 PM
Draughtproofing a Loft Hatch george [dicegeorge] UK diy 5 December 5th 10 08:35 PM
loft hatch Sam UK diy 15 November 28th 07 01:13 PM
How to build a loft hatch? Rob Horton UK diy 8 March 13th 07 10:40 PM