Posted to alt.home.repair

Default thread for standard light fixture nipple?

Was helping cousin hang a pendant type light fixture over the weekend.
Fixture came with solid downrod that screwed together with those nipples
that are used all over the place in lighting. I thought to myself,
"self, if I had a tap for that thread I could make the rod any length
she wanted, and not be limited to the foot-long increments that come
with the fixture." Well, she was happy with no downrod at all in the
location it was going (hung from bulkhead over kitchen sink) but it got
me thinking, what the heck *is* that thread? Google suggests it is a
"straight pipe thread" but what size? Does anyone make sets of those
taps for a reasonable price? Even McMaster-Carr only sells them
individually (for over $20 apiece!)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Nate... I do a lot of desk lamp building and repair. The size is 1/8 X 27
thread per inch. Ace hardware will have both taps and dies. 1/8 x 27 NPT.
(national pipe thread. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/3/2011 7:19 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
...those nipples that are used all over the place in lighting. ...
... what the heck *is* that thread?...

They're 1/8" NPT...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/03/2011 09:01 PM, dpb wrote:
On 5/3/2011 7:19 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
...those nipples that are used all over the place in lighting. ...
... what the heck *is* that thread?...

They're 1/8" NPT...

--

NPT is tapered innit?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"WW" wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

NPT = National Pipe Taper
NPS = National Pipe Straight

I can neither confirm nor deny that the thread in question is 1/8-27,
but I'm sure you'll agree it's not tapered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 8:44*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*"WW" wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Bingo! NPS = National Pipe Straight

My local Ace did not have the 1/8"-27 NPS (straight pipe thread) die
nor tap.
I balked at the McMaster prices & bought them from MSC online.

Great lamp parts source http://www.grandbrass.com/

Lamp part sizes IPS 1/8, 1/4 & 3/8
IPS meaning iron pipe size (but some say it's internal pipe size)

Lamp parts are typically NPS (National Pipe - Straight)
as opposed to the much more common plumbing thread NPT (National Pipe
- Tapered)

THREAD SIZE Actual Unthreaded OD
1/8 -27 NPS .405"
1/4 -18 NPS .540"
3/8 -18 NPS .675"

To add to the confusion NPS is an abbreviation that is also used to
denote "nominal pipe size"

When I first started to repair some ancient lamps & wall sconces,
I had a very hard time figuring out what the parts were made from.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 8:19*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Being able to thread the outside surface of a rod or hollow tube
using only a tap would be a neat trick man...

What you are looking for is called a die...

Sets of piping dies cost megabucks because normally only
a tradesmen or machine shop would even want to look for
such a thing...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Evan wrote:

[...]

Machine shops likely have a collection of dies around, but they're not
much used because unlike taps, they don't lend themselves to automation.
Outside threads are cut on a lathe, either with a box tool, or with a
"single point" cutter that is the shape of one thread and tracks the
length of the thread to be cut.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On May 5, 5:52*am, Evan wrote:
[...]

No, I'm looking for a tap, the downrod was made of tubing with a
little standard lighting nipple at each end. So if I wanted a custom
length, I would have cut the tubing, squared off/dressed the end, then
tapped it so the nipple could be threaded back in.

nate