Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default thread for standard light fixture nipple?

Was helping cousin hang a pendant type light fixture over the weekend.
Fixture came with solid downrod that screwed together with those nipples
that are used all over the place in lighting. I thought to myself,
"self, if I had a tap for that thread I could make the rod any length
she wanted, and not be limited to the foot-long increments that come
with the fixture." Well, she was happy with no downrod at all in the
location it was going (hung from bulkhead over kitchen sink) but it got
me thinking, what the heck *is* that thread? Google suggests it is a
"straight pipe thread" but what size? Does anyone make sets of those
taps for a reasonable price? Even McMaster-Carr only sells them
individually (for over $20 apiece!)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.