Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to make a standard thread hole in wood

Hello all,

I'm trying to find a way to make a standard thread mount hole in a
wood block so that it could be mounted to the standard thread on a
painters pole. Is there a tool that I could use to make this type of
threaded hole? I have been buying standard threaded scrub brushes and
tearing out the bristles to get a flat piece of wood with the threaded
hole on the other side. There has to be a better way, but I can't
find it online. Being able to make anything mountable to a painters
pole threading would be a wonderful time saver for me. Please let me
know if such a tool exists, or if there is a part that I could attach
to a block of wood that has the female standard threading.

Thanks much,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 24, 12:24*pm, wrote:
Hello all,

I'm trying to find a way to make a standard thread mount hole in a
wood block so that it could be mounted to the standard thread on a
painters pole. *Is there a tool that I could use to make this type of
threaded hole? *I have been buying standard threaded scrub brushes and
tearing out the bristles to get a flat piece of wood with the threaded
hole on the other side. *There has to be a better way, but I can't
find it online. *Being able to make anything mountable to a painters
pole threading would be a wonderful time saver for me. *Please let me
know if such a tool exists, or if there is a part that I could attach
to a block of wood that has the female standard threading.

Thanks much,

As mentioned by the other post a 1/2" pipe thread might work
but..............

broom handle threads are ACME style threads, the most common being
3/4"

of course being broom handles & not going on the space shuttle the
care & tolerances in mfg are pretty sloppy so fit up between devices
is pretty "hit or miss"

here's a link to a handle company

http://www.whitleyhandle.com/whitley..._products.html

and a discussion on an engineering forum
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=153052

cheers
Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 25, 6:21*am, "dadiOH" wrote:

1. Drill an oversized hole in your block of wood

2. Fill hole with Bondo (auto body filler)

3. Rub vaseline on the threads of a pole

4. Stick threaded pole in center of hole

5. Let Bondo harden

6. Unscrew pole

7. Enjoy your new threaded hols

That's a very slick method - I've never heard of it, but will
definitely try it.

My thought was that if he can just cut off an inch or so of pole and
rethread it to match whatever tap he goes with.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 24, 3:24*pm, wrote:
Hello all,

I'm trying to find a way to make a standard thread mount hole in a
wood block so that it could be mounted to the standard thread on a
painters pole. *Is there a tool that I could use to make this type of
threaded hole? *I have been buying standard threaded scrub brushes and
tearing out the bristles to get a flat piece of wood with the threaded
hole on the other side. *There has to be a better way, but I can't
find it online. *Being able to make anything mountable to a painters
pole threading would be a wonderful time saver for me. *Please let me
know if such a tool exists, or if there is a part that I could attach
to a block of wood that has the female standard threading.

Make a "helicoil" insert from wire.