Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default thread for standard light fixture nipple?

On May 3, 8:19*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Was helping cousin hang a pendant type light fixture over the weekend.
Fixture came with solid downrod that screwed together with those nipples
that are used all over the place in lighting. *I thought to myself,
"self, if I had a tap for that thread I could make the rod any length
she wanted, and not be limited to the foot-long increments that come
with the fixture." *Well, she was happy with no downrod at all in the
location it was going (hung from bulkhead over kitchen sink) but it got
me thinking, what the heck *is* that thread? *Google suggests it is a
"straight pipe thread" but what size? *Does anyone make sets of those
taps for a reasonable price? *Even McMaster-Carr only sells them
individually (for over $20 apiece!)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Being able to thread the outside surface of a rod or hollow tube
using only a tap would be a neat trick man...

What you are looking for is called a die...

Sets of piping dies cost megabucks because normally only
a tradesmen or machine shop would even want to look for
such a thing...

~~ Evan