Posted to alt.home.repair

Default FYI - Snake in Garden Soil

We bought a large bag of Miracle Grow garden soil mix and a couple
bags to topsoil to mix for planting some trees. I dumped all together
in a garden cart this morning and started mixing some in some of the
native soil and found a 3-4 foot long bull snake looking back at me.

My wife called the HD where we bought them (soil and snake) and the
manager was very straight forward. He had been seeing quite a few
"critters" coming in on soil and mulch pallets during the past year or
so. These included snakes, scorpions and at least one tarantula.
This was his first report of a snake inside of a bag. He apologized
and said he would pass it on to the supplier. He also said he was
pretty sure the snake was in the Miracle Grow because the topsoil was
probably too packed and the garden soil contained some nutrients and
organic material that would sustain the snake.

Then I ran across this:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dai...g_soil_bag.php

Yikes! Be careful out there!!!

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 5:40*pm, RonB wrote:
[...]

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dai...it_by_copperhe...

Yikes! *Be careful out there!!!

RonB

HMMPH! THAT IS PRETTY WILD...GOOD LOOKING OUT....
I WOULD HAVE ASKED FOR A REFUND OR A MONGOOSE

PATECUM
TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RonB" wrote in message
We bought a large bag of Miracle Grow garden soil mix and a couple
bags to topsoil to mix for planting some trees. I dumped all together
in a garden cart this morning and started mixing some in some of the
native soil and found a 3-4 foot long bull snake looking back at me.

My wife called the HD where we bought them (soil and snake) and the
manager was very straight forward. He had been seeing quite a few
"critters" coming in on soil and mulch pallets during the past year or
so. These included snakes, scorpions and at least one tarantula.
This was his first report of a snake inside of a bag. He apologized
and said he would pass it on to the supplier. He also said he was
pretty sure the snake was in the Miracle Grow because the topsoil was
probably too packed and the garden soil contained some nutrients and
organic material that would sustain the snake.

No cash compensation? I'd contact Miracle Gro and tell them HD says they're
snake sellers. (-:

Then I ran across this:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dai...g_soil_bag.php

Yikes! Be careful out there!!!

RonB

Even more amazing is the kid who set a fire in Wal-mart that cost $1M.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dai...t_fire_fee.php

You'd think kids would know that Wal-mart has more cameras per square foot
than any other retailers. They make them pretty obvious. Now he has a $1M
judgment against him. I guess they've got to - in case he wins the lottery
or something. Wouldn't that be a bite - to win the lottery and then have to
turn it over to Wal-mart.

I microwave all potting soil because one year I ended up with a zillion
teensy flies in the house that hatched from eggs that were embedded in the
allegedly sterilized soil. Ten minutes in the microwave seems to solve
that problem. Probably would have solved the snake problem too but then I
only buy the very small bags. I've gotten so many potato-shaped rocks in 5
lb bags of potatoes I am beginning to suspect a conspiracy. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RonB" wrote in message
[...]

That's a nasty one. I still have a couple bags of top soil I bought a year
ago at Ace Hwd. Any thing in there would be dead by now. ww

Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On May 3, 5:40*pm, RonB wrote:
[...]

Every bag I get I first stick my hand in, or that's what I used to do.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/g/greensnakes.htm

Green Garden Grass snakes can be dangerous, Yes, grass
snakes, not rattlesnakes.

A couple in Swee****er, Texas had a lot of potted plants,
and during a recent cold spell, the wife was bringing a lot
of them indoors to protect them from a possible freeze. It
turned out that a little green garden grass snake as hidden
in one of the plants and when it had warmed up, it slithered
out and the wife saw it go under the sofa.

She let out a very loud scream.

The husband who was taking a shower ran out into the living
room naked to see what the problem was. She told him there
was a snake under the sofa. He got down on the floor on his
hands and knees to look for it.

About that time the family dog came and cold-nosed him on
the leg. He thought the snake had bitten him and he fainted.

His wife thought he had a heart attack, so she called an
ambulance. The attendants rushed in and loaded him on the
stretcher and started carrying him out.

About that time the snake came out from under the sofa and
the Emergency Medical Technician saw it and dropped his end
of the stretcher. That's when the man broke his leg and why
he is in the hospital.

The wife still had the problem of the snake in the house, so
she called on a neighbor man. He volunteered to capture the
snake. He armed himself with a rolled-up newspaper and began
poking under the couch.

Soon he decided it was gone and told the woman, who sat down
on the sofa in relief. But in relaxing, her hand dangled in
between the cushions, where she felt the snake wriggling
around. She screamed and fainted, the snake rushed back
under the sofa, and the neighbor man, seeing her laying
there passed out, tried to use CPR to revive her.

The neighbor's wife, who had just returned from shopping at
the grocery store, saw her husband's mouth on the woman's
mouth and slammed her husband in the back of the head with a
bag of canned goods, knocking him out and cutting his scalp
to a point where it needed stitches.

An ambulance was again called and it was determined that the
injury required hospitalization. The noise woke the woman
from her dead faint and she saw her neighbor lying on the
floor with his wife bending over him, so she assumed he had
been bitten by the snake. She went to the kitchen, brought
back a small bottle of whiskey, and began pouring it down
the man's throat.

By now the police had arrived. They saw the unconscious man,
smelled the whiskey, and assumed that a drunken fight had
occurred. They were about to arrest them all, when the two
women tried to explain how it all happened over a little
green snake.

They called an ambulance, which took away the neighbor and
his sobbing wife. Just then the little snake crawled out
from under the couch. One of the policemen drew his gun and
fired at it. He missed the snake and hit the leg of the end
table that was on one side of the sofa. The table fell over
and the lamp on it shattered and as the bulb broke, it
started a fire in the drapes.

The other policeman tried to beat out the flames and fell
through the window into the yard on top of the family dog,
who startled, jumped up and raced out into the street, where
an oncoming car swerved to avoid it and smashed into the
parked police car and set it on fire.

Meanwhile the burning drapes had spread to the walls and the
entire house was blazing. Neighbors had called the fire
department and the arriving fire-truck had started raising
its ladder as they were halfway down the street. The rising
ladder tore out the overhead wires and put out the
electricity and disconnected the telephones in a ten-square
city block area.

Time passed ----------------- Both men were discharged from
the hospital, the house was re-built, the police acquired a
new car, and all was right with their world. About a year
later they were watching TV and the weatherman announced a
cold snap for that night. The husband asked his wife if she
thought they should bring in the plants for the night. She
shot him.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RonB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 6:04*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:

No cash compensation? *I'd contact Miracle Gro and tell them HD says they're
snake sellers. *(-:

Huh? He got a $50 snake for free. He OWES them money...

(Why don't I ever get free snakes when I go to home depot?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy comments:

I think I would write a letter to MiracleGro describing the
incident, and suggest that, in the future, they put the dirt
in one bag and the snake in a different bag so the customer
could mix them according to his own preference.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Help: Soil Connection Options for Under Stairs Macerator (Soil Stack/ Manhole) GC UK diy 0 March 23rd 08 12:32 PM
Snake ID SteveB Home Repair 21 September 14th 07 04:56 PM
Convert model w/snake, to non-snake? karlt10 Woodworking 4 November 26th 06 08:23 AM
Leak at plastic soil pipe to clay soil pipe join Darren UK diy 2 October 12th 04 09:49 PM