Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default FYI - Snake in Garden Soil

"RonB" wrote in message
We bought a large bag of Miracle Grow garden soil mix and a couple
bags to topsoil to mix for planting some trees. I dumped all together
in a garden cart this morning and started mixing some in some of the
native soil and found a 3-4 foot long bull snake looking back at me.

My wife called the HD where we bought them (soil and snake) and the
manager was very straight forward. He had been seeing quite a few
"critters" coming in on soil and mulch pallets during the past year or
so. These included snakes, scorpions and at least one tarantula.
This was his first report of a snake inside of a bag. He apologized
and said he would pass it on to the supplier. He also said he was
pretty sure the snake was in the Miracle Grow because the topsoil was
probably too packed and the garden soil contained some nutrients and
organic material that would sustain the snake.

No cash compensation? I'd contact Miracle Gro and tell them HD says they're
snake sellers. (-:

Then I ran across this:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dai...g_soil_bag.php

Yikes! Be careful out there!!!

RonB

Even more amazing is the kid who set a fire in Wal-mart that cost $1M.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dai...t_fire_fee.php

You'd think kids would know that Wal-mart has more cameras per square foot
than any other retailers. They make them pretty obvious. Now he has a $1M
judgment against him. I guess they've got to - in case he wins the lottery
or something. Wouldn't that be a bite - to win the lottery and then have to
turn it over to Wal-mart.

I microwave all potting soil because one year I ended up with a zillion
teensy flies in the house that hatched from eggs that were embedded in the
allegedly sterilized soil. Ten minutes in the microwave seems to solve
that problem. Probably would have solved the snake problem too but then I
only buy the very small bags. I've gotten so many potato-shaped rocks in 5
lb bags of potatoes I am beginning to suspect a conspiracy. (-:

--
Bobby G.