Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaking Sink Waste Disposer

Insinkerator waste disposer( 1/2 horse Emerson Elec.) drips when dish
washer runs or when faucet is turned on. Connecting pipe from dish
washer and pipe to drain are both dry. Dripping seems to come from the
bottom where the power cord exits the unit.

Do these units develope internal leaks? Any similar experiences out
there?

Joe G
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 22, 4:13*pm, GROVER wrote:
Insinkerator waste disposer( 1/2 horse Emerson Elec.) *drips when dish
washer runs or when faucet is turned on. Connecting pipe from dish
washer and pipe to drain are both dry. Dripping seems to come from the
bottom where the power cord exits the unit.

Do these units develope internal leaks? *Any similar experiences out
there?

Joe G

Look for small rust bubbles around the outside of the unit. Mine is
living on borrowed time thanks to JB Weld.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 1:13*pm, GROVER wrote:
Insinkerator waste disposer( 1/2 horse Emerson Elec.) *drips when dish
washer runs or when faucet is turned on. Connecting pipe from dish
washer and pipe to drain are both dry. Dripping seems to come from the
bottom where the power cord exits the unit.

Do these units develope internal leaks? *Any similar experiences out
there?

Joe G

Sounds like the unit has failed internally.

What model? I had an Insinkerator 333 fail & I got it replaced for
free.

Double check your model & warranty ......you might be in luck.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 4:13*pm, GROVER wrote:
Insinkerator waste disposer( 1/2 horse Emerson Elec.) *drips when dish
washer runs or when faucet is turned on. Connecting pipe from dish
washer and pipe to drain are both dry. Dripping seems to come from the
bottom where the power cord exits the unit.

Do these units develope internal leaks? *Any similar experiences out
there?

Joe G

Yes, they can rust out. Had that happen to a Kenmore.

I suggest that you replace it since it will only get worse. The new
ones are much quieter.

Check out the InSinkErator Evolution series. I've installed 3 of these
for my extended family and we all love 'em.

http://www.insinkerator.com/product/...inter=selector

Some home centers have an InSinkErator display where you can compare
the sound level of the various models.

Trust me, the Evolution series is much, much quieter than the Badger
series. Sometimes I forget that mine is on until I turn the water off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 4:13*pm, GROVER wrote:
Insinkerator waste disposer( 1/2 horse Emerson Elec.) *drips when dish
washer runs or when faucet is turned on. Connecting pipe from dish
washer and pipe to drain are both dry. Dripping seems to come from the
bottom where the power cord exits the unit.

Do these units develope internal leaks? *Any similar experiences out
there?

Joe G

Model # is 5-81. It's been in operation for approx. 6 years. I
wouldn't suspect there's any warranty left. Internal leakage is the
only failure which fits the clues.

Joe G

Posted to alt.home.repair

GROVER wrote:
Insinkerator waste disposer( 1/2 horse Emerson Elec.) drips when dish
washer runs or when faucet is turned on. Connecting pipe from dish
washer and pipe to drain are both dry. Dripping seems to come from the
bottom where the power cord exits the unit.

Do these units develope internal leaks? Any similar experiences out
there?

Joe G

Most likely the shaft seal located just below the "grinder disk" has
worn out.

Not really worth bothering to fix, given the relatively low cost of a
new unit.

Though, I did have an Insinkerator start dripping externally when the
upper black plastic housing developed a crack on one side last year. I
covered that crack with silicon calk which stopped the leak until I had
time to buy a new one and install it.

Jeff

Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

GROVER wrote:
On Apr 22, 4:13 pm, wrote:
Insinkerator waste disposer( 1/2 horse Emerson Elec.) drips when dish
washer runs or when faucet is turned on. Connecting pipe from dish
washer and pipe to drain are both dry. Dripping seems to come from the
bottom where the power cord exits the unit.

Do these units develope internal leaks? Any similar experiences out
there?

Joe G

Model # is 5-81. It's been in operation for approx. 6 years. I
wouldn't suspect there's any warranty left. Internal leakage is the
only failure which fits the clues.

Joe G

Hi,
Call Support folks. Real warm body answers pretty quick. Maybe the unit
is going South.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 22, 9:28*pm, jeff_wisnia
wrote:
GROVER wrote:
Insinkerator waste disposer( 1/2 horse Emerson Elec.) *drips when dish
washer runs or when faucet is turned on. Connecting pipe from dish
washer and pipe to drain are both dry. Dripping seems to come from the
bottom where the power cord exits the unit.

Do these units develope internal leaks? *Any similar experiences out
there?

Joe G

Most likely the shaft seal located just below the "grinder disk" has
worn out.

Why is it most likely to be a shaft seal and not a rust hole?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
On Apr 22, 9:28 pm, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

GROVER wrote:

Insinkerator waste disposer( 1/2 horse Emerson Elec.) drips when dish
washer runs or when faucet is turned on. Connecting pipe from dish
washer and pipe to drain are both dry. Dripping seems to come from the
bottom where the power cord exits the unit.

Do these units develope internal leaks? Any similar experiences out
there?

Joe G

Most likely the shaft seal located just below the "grinder disk" has
worn out.

Why is it most likely to be a shaft seal and not a rust hole?

Could be a rust hole, guess I said shaft seal because that's what
usually leaks first on car water pumps, hose bibs and such, but those
items usually don't corrode thru their bodies because they are so thick.

Maybe the OP will disassemble it and let us know where the leak was
coming from.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia