Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which glue?

I am going to build a compartment, much like a chest freezer that will
incorporate a dorm fridge. The compartment will be made of styrofoam or the
blue insulating panels, and be to maintain a fermenting temperature of 75
degrees inside for beer fermentation. I need to join some sheets of
styrofoam or the blue insulated foam together.

Which glue would be best, and won't dissolve the insulation? Or maybe get
some of the wide foil refrigeration tape?

Ideas?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 9:16*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I am going to build a compartment, much like a chest freezer that will
incorporate a dorm fridge. *The compartment will be made of styrofoam or the
blue insulating panels, and be to maintain a fermenting temperature of 75
degrees inside for beer fermentation. *I need to join some sheets of
styrofoam or the blue insulated foam together.

Which glue would be best, and won't dissolve the insulation? *Or maybe get
some of the wide foil refrigeration tape?

Ideas?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

3M Spray Adhesive 6070
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
I am going to build a compartment, much like a chest freezer that will
incorporate a dorm fridge. The compartment will be made of styrofoam or
the blue insulating panels, and be to maintain a fermenting temperature of
75 degrees inside for beer fermentation. I need to join some sheets of
styrofoam or the blue insulated foam together.

Which glue would be best, and won't dissolve the insulation? Or maybe get
some of the wide foil refrigeration tape?

Ideas?

Epoxy,
White glue, like Elmer's
3M spray 77
Water based contact cements

There are a few others too. Water based takes a very long time to dry
though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

I am going to build a compartment, much like a chest freezer that will
incorporate a dorm fridge. The compartment will be made of styrofoam or the
blue insulating panels, and be to maintain a fermenting temperature of 75
degrees inside for beer fermentation. I need to join some sheets of
styrofoam or the blue insulated foam together.

Which glue would be best, and won't dissolve the insulation? Or maybe get
some of the wide foil refrigeration tape?

White or yellow glues work great on styrofoam, and yellow glues are
usually fairly water resistant as well.

Spray glues will usually dissolve styrofoam because solvents are added
to make glues and paints sprayable, but dissolving the styrofoam may
not necessarily be bad when it comes to gluing it. Contact cement,
except the water-based type, will dissolve styrofoam. Epoxy glue will
not dissolve it. Blue foam is usually styrofoam, just not the bead
type, and it insulates better and doesn't absorb water as much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Foil tape, or Liquid Nails (in the caulk tube) is what comes
to mind.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message
I am going to build a compartment, much like a chest freezer
that will
incorporate a dorm fridge. The compartment will be made of
styrofoam or the
blue insulating panels, and be to maintain a fermenting
temperature of 75
degrees inside for beer fermentation. I need to join some
sheets of
styrofoam or the blue insulated foam together.

Which glue would be best, and won't dissolve the insulation?
Or maybe get
some of the wide foil refrigeration tape?

Ideas?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are construction adhesives made specifically for foam board.
Anything with a solvent base will NOT work and will eat huge holes
in the material. I would reinforce the joints with drilled and
glued wood dowels or all thread. I would remove the thin plastic
film from the face of the material where the glue joints occur if
you buy the type of foam that has it.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Steve B" wrote in message
I am going to build a compartment, much like a chest freezer that
will incorporate a dorm fridge. The compartment will be made of
styrofoam or the blue insulating panels, and be to maintain a
fermenting temperature of 75 degrees inside for beer
fermentation. I need to join some sheets of styrofoam or the
blue insulated foam together.

Which glue would be best, and won't dissolve the insulation? Or
maybe get some of the wide foil refrigeration tape?

Ideas?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
I am going to build a compartment, much like a chest freezer that will
incorporate a dorm fridge. The compartment will be made of styrofoam or
the blue insulating panels, and be to maintain a fermenting temperature of
75 degrees inside for beer fermentation. I need to join some sheets of
styrofoam or the blue insulated foam together.

Which glue would be best, and won't dissolve the insulation? Or maybe
get some of the wide foil refrigeration tape?

Ideas?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

http://www.thistothat.com/cgi-bin/gl...that=Styrofoam

Posted to alt.home.repair

"K. Lance" wrote in :

"Steve B" wrote in message
I am going to build a compartment, much like a chest freezer that will
incorporate a dorm fridge. The compartment will be made of styrofoam
or the blue insulating panels, and be to maintain a fermenting
temperature of 75 degrees inside for beer fermentation. I need to
join some sheets of styrofoam or the blue insulated foam together.

Which glue would be best, and won't dissolve the insulation? Or
maybe get some of the wide foil refrigeration tape?

Ideas?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

http://www.thistothat.com/cgi-bin/gl...tyrofoam&that=
Styrofoam

Elmer's white glue or a good woodworking "yellow" glue,preferably a
waterproof type.

3M styrofoam spray adhesive. seems expensive.

low-temp Hot glue.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 15, 11:16*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I am going to build a compartment, much like a chest freezer that will
incorporate a dorm fridge. *The compartment will be made of styrofoam or the
blue insulating panels, and be to maintain a fermenting temperature of 75
degrees inside for beer fermentation. *I need to join some sheets of
styrofoam or the blue insulated foam together.

snip

Epoxy won't dissolve the polystyrene and has the added advantage of
permitting structural reinforcement with fiberglass at corners and
joints. This would make your structure really robust, something you
need in a fermentation cabinet.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote

low-temp Hot glue.

OK for small stuff, but constructing panels it is not going to work well.
The glue will harden too fat at the start before you get to the end.
Regular hot glue will melt the foam and you get a recess where the glue bead
was. Styrene foam starts to melt at 180 degrees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 21:16:50 -0700, Steve B wrote:

Which glue would be best, and won't dissolve the insulation?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=4018
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I am going to build a compartment, much like a chest freezer that will
incorporate a dorm fridge. The compartment will be made of styrofoam or the
blue insulating panels, and be to maintain a fermenting temperature of 75
degrees inside for beer fermentation. I need to join some sheets of
styrofoam or the blue insulated foam together.

Which glue would be best, and won't dissolve the insulation? Or maybe get
some of the wide foil refrigeration tape?

Ideas?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com