Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

Default Cell Phone boosters or antennas

The rental house is on the downside of a hill and the cellphone
coverage is poor. Up the driveway it is fine.

Any experience with any of the cell phone boosters?

I see some are tethered to the phone, in which case an antenna would
be just as well. Some rebroadcast both ways. I'd like to spend less than
$200, but you know how that goes!

I'm halfway thinking of a Pringles can (or some such waveguide
antenna) facing the tower, but elevated, connected to a half (or quarter
if there is a ground plane) wave dipole. Seems like the can would have a
ton of gain. Crazy?

Jeff
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote:

The rental house is on the downside of a hill and the cellphone coverage is poor. Up the driveway it is fine.

Any experience with any of the cell phone boosters?

They arent legal in my country.

I see some are tethered to the phone, in which case an antenna would be just as well.

Yes, those are used a lot in RVs.

You do need a cellphone that can have an antenna attached, most modern ones cant anymore.

Some rebroadcast both ways. I'd like to spend less than $200, but you know how that goes!

I'm halfway thinking of a Pringles can (or some such waveguide
antenna) facing the tower, but elevated, connected to a half (or
quarter if there is a ground plane) wave dipole. Seems like the can
would have a ton of gain. Crazy?

Nope, it can work, but its not as easy to do as you might think.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2011 11:26 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
The rental house is on the downside of a hill and the cellphone coverage
is poor. Up the driveway it is fine.

Any experience with any of the cell phone boosters?

I see some are tethered to the phone, in which case an antenna would be
just as well. Some rebroadcast both ways. I'd like to spend less than
$200, but you know how that goes!

I'm halfway thinking of a Pringles can (or some such waveguide antenna)
facing the tower, but elevated, connected to a half (or quarter if there
is a ground plane) wave dipole. Seems like the can would have a ton of
gain. Crazy?

Jeff

Get yourself an old "bag phone". They have about 20 times more signal
strength. Keep the antenna away from your body.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2011 4:19 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 4/10/2011 11:26 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
The rental house is on the downside of a hill and the cellphone coverage
is poor. Up the driveway it is fine.

Any experience with any of the cell phone boosters?

I see some are tethered to the phone, in which case an antenna would be
just as well. Some rebroadcast both ways. I'd like to spend less than
$200, but you know how that goes!

I'm halfway thinking of a Pringles can (or some such waveguide antenna)
facing the tower, but elevated, connected to a half (or quarter if there
is a ground plane) wave dipole. Seems like the can would have a ton of
gain. Crazy?

Jeff

Get yourself an old "bag phone". They have about 20 times more signal
strength. Keep the antenna away from your body.

And talk to what with it? All the old bag phones I have seen are analog,
which is basically gone at this point.

OP needs a cell repeater or femtocell device. He'll cry at the price,
though, even online. Google 'residential cell phone booster', figure out
correct model. and then try to find a cheaper one on ebay.

Or just get rid of the cell phone and get a real phone. After a month
you won't even miss it.

--
aem sends....
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

In article , Jeff Thies wrote:
The rental house is on the downside of a hill and the cellphone
coverage is poor. Up the driveway it is fine.

Any experience with any of the cell phone boosters?

I see some are tethered to the phone, in which case an antenna would
be just as well. Some rebroadcast both ways. I'd like to spend less than
$200, but you know how that goes!

Talk to your cellular service provider. When I complained to Sprint about poor
signal strength in my home, they shipped me -- free of charge -- a microcell
that sends the signal via internet. Signal in my living room went from one bar
to five bars. It's been installed about two years now, and we haven't had any
trouble with it at all.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 7:52*pm, (Doug Miller)
wrote:
In article , Jeff Thies wrote:
* The rental house is on the downside of a hill and the cellphone
coverage is poor. Up the driveway it is fine.

* Any experience with any of the cell phone boosters?

* I see some are tethered to the phone, in which case an antenna would
be just as well. Some rebroadcast both ways. I'd like to spend less than
$200, but you know how that goes!

Talk to your cellular service provider. When I complained to Sprint about poor
signal strength in my home, they shipped me -- free of charge -- a microcell
that sends the signal via internet. Signal in my living room went from one bar
to five bars. It's been installed about two years now, and we haven't had any
trouble with it at all.

Or change providers. They share towers,
but there are other towers, other locations.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 8:26*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *The rental house is on the downside of a hill and the cellphone
coverage is poor. Up the driveway it is fine.

* *Any experience with any of the cell phone boosters?

* *I see some are tethered to the phone, in which case an antenna would
be just as well. Some rebroadcast both ways. I'd like to spend less than
$200, but you know how that goes!

* *I'm halfway thinking of a Pringles can (or some such waveguide
antenna) facing the tower, but elevated, connected to a half (or quarter
if there is a ground plane) wave dipole. Seems like the can would have a
ton of gain. Crazy?

* *Jeff

I have no knowledge of chip can antennas.

I have use antennaes and two of the WILSON boosters and one of the wy-
ex zboost sytems.

All of them worked. for both ATT and VERIZON 800/1900.
Remember that 4 g is coming - if that matters to you.

The antennae i used required a phone that accept an antenae.
As noted there are few of them any more.
However,
I've seen ads for inductive coupled antenaes.
I have NOT tried those.

check with Wilson for solutions. they are very helpful.

also check with Howard Forums on the net.

Remember you can only boost signal if you HAVE signal.
zero times any boost is still zero.
You may be able to run the cable up the hill to where there is signal
for the external antenae. The LMR 400 cable is expensive, but much
better than "regular" coax.

one final note,
be sure that you
Follow the instructions to make sure that the booster cannot "see" the
external antenae.
We ended up using a refridgerator to separate them. it made a huge
difference.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote
Jeff Thies wrote

The rental house is on the downside of a hill and the cellphone coverage is poor. Up the driveway it is fine.

Any experience with any of the cell phone boosters?

I see some are tethered to the phone, in which case an antenna would be just as well. Some rebroadcast both ways. I'd
like to spend less than $200, but you know how that goes!

I'm halfway thinking of a Pringles can (or some such waveguide
antenna) facing the tower, but elevated, connected to a half (or
quarter if there is a ground plane) wave dipole. Seems like the can
would have a ton of gain. Crazy?

Get yourself an old "bag phone". They have about 20 times more signal strength.

The industry is pulling the plug on those AMPS phones now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...e_Phone_System

Keep the antenna away from your body.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2011 4:54 PM, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

How does that work out portability wise?

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2011 3:32 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:

The rental house is on the downside of a hill and the cellphone coverage is poor. Up the driveway it is fine.

Any experience with any of the cell phone boosters?

They arent legal in my country.

I see some are tethered to the phone, in which case an antenna would be just as well.

Yes, those are used a lot in RVs.

You do need a cellphone that can have an antenna attached, most modern ones cant anymore.

Some rebroadcast both ways. I'd like to spend less than $200, but you know how that goes!

I'm halfway thinking of a Pringles can (or some such waveguide
antenna) facing the tower, but elevated, connected to a half (or
quarter if there is a ground plane) wave dipole. Seems like the can
would have a ton of gain. Crazy?

Nope, it can work, but its not as easy to do as you might think.

What's the problem?

It's mostly that I need to go up about 5 feet.

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

That looks like: a 4 1/4" (for 1900 mHz) can at least that long.
Perhaps a 1/4" hole 1.63" from the bottom, with 1.63" of wire sticking
both into and out of the can mounted in a bit of plex. Orient the can
vertically and point it at the nearest cellphone tower, which is visible.

Am I missing something that you know of?

Jeff
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jeff Thies wrote

The rental house is on the downside of a hill and the cellphone coverage is poor. Up the driveway it is fine.

Any experience with any of the cell phone boosters?

They arent legal in my country.

I see some are tethered to the phone, in which case an antenna would be just as well.

Yes, those are used a lot in RVs.

You do need a cellphone that can have an antenna attached, most modern ones cant anymore.

Some rebroadcast both ways. I'd like to spend less than $200, but you know how that goes!

I'm halfway thinking of a Pringles can (or some such waveguide
antenna) facing the tower, but elevated, connected to a half (or
quarter if there is a ground plane) wave dipole. Seems like the can
would have a ton of gain. Crazy?

Nope, it can work, but its not as easy to do as you might think.

What's the problem?

You clearly dont know much about antennas. Not that that is
a major problem if you can find a decent set of plans for one.

It's mostly that I need to go up about 5 feet.

Whats that based on, where the driveway is ?

I still think that if your cellphone can accept and external antenna,
and most cant, that it makes a lot more sense to just buy the sort
of antenna thats designed for a car or RV instead and use that.

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

That looks like: a 4 1/4" (for 1900 mHz) can at least that long.
Perhaps a 1/4" hole 1.63" from the bottom, with 1.63" of wire sticking
both into and out of the can mounted in a bit of plex. Orient the can
vertically and point it at the nearest cellphone tower, which is visible.

Am I missing something that you know of?

Yes, thats a wifi cantenna, not a cellphone cantenna.
The frequencys are completely different.

Your original shows that you dont understand the basics with the
bit about the dipole. That cantenna doesnt use anything like that.

Corse you do need to check that your cellphone can take an external antenna first, most cant.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2011 3:33 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jeff Thies wrote

[...]

Yes, I know, which is why I tuned it for 1900 mHz rather than (I
believe) 2300mHz.

Your original shows that you dont understand the basics with the
bit about the dipole.

I think I have some grasp on dipoles (held an Amateur Advanced [seems
like misnomer]) at 16 and have built my share of antennas.

That a cantenna doesnt use anything like that.

The feed element is tuned to a 1/4 wave. Think of a 1/4 vertical with
the can being the ground plane, it is large enough wavelength wise.

Corse you do need to check that your cellphone can take an external antenna first, most cant.

I thought you were following the passive repeater bit. What I'm
thinking is something of an improved version of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cellet-Mount-P.../dp/B000KNNKVS

Hey, if you know something about this, put in something constructive,
otherwise it's back in the virtual kill file.

Jeff

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

Rod Speed wrote the following:
Tony Miklos wrote

Jeff Thies wrote

The rental house is on the downside of a hill and the cellphone coverage is poor. Up the driveway it is fine.

Any experience with any of the cell phone boosters?

I see some are tethered to the phone, in which case an antenna would be just as well. Some rebroadcast both ways. I'd
like to spend less than $200, but you know how that goes!

I'm halfway thinking of a Pringles can (or some such waveguide
antenna) facing the tower, but elevated, connected to a half (or
quarter if there is a ground plane) wave dipole. Seems like the can
would have a ton of gain. Crazy?

Get yourself an old "bag phone". They have about 20 times more signal strength.

The industry is pulling the plug on those AMPS phones now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...e_Phone_System

That phone reminds me of "A Night at the Roxbury"

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2011 6:56 AM, George wrote:
[...]

My point being, that other than the fact they are used to it and/or
addicted to it, how many people really NEED a cell phone to survive,
personally or career-wise? Mine lives in my briefcase, and I turn it on
once a week to clear the wrong-number messages. I actually carry it in
my pocket and switched on, maybe 4-5 days a year, when I am traveling,
or need to meet up with some contractor or something. That is worth the
8 bucks a month to me. But 50 bucks a month or more for a smartphone?
What for? I have a computer at work, and a computer at home. I can tough
it out for the 15 minute commute. I refuse to be a cell phone zombie
wandering around the grocery store or mall or city street, hunched over
looking at a tiny screen.

--
aem sends...

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jeff Thies wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jeff Thies wrote

[...]

Why didnt you answer that ?

I still think that if your cellphone can accept and external antenna,
and most cant, that it makes a lot more sense to just buy the sort
of antenna thats designed for a car or RV instead and use that.

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

That looks like: a 4 1/4" (for 1900 mHz) can at least that long.
Perhaps a 1/4" hole 1.63" from the bottom, with 1.63" of wire
sticking both into and out of the can mounted in a bit of plex.
Orient the can vertically and point it at the nearest cellphone
tower, which is visible.

Am I missing something that you know of?

Yes, thats a wifi cantenna, not a cellphone cantenna.
The frequencys are completely different.

Yes, I know, which is why I tuned it for 1900 mHz rather than (I believe) 2300mHz.

You sure your cellphone is using 1900 ?

Your original shows that you dont understand the basics with the bit about the dipole.

I think I have some grasp on dipoles (held an Amateur Advanced [seems like misnomer]) at 16 and have built my share of
antennas.

That cantenna you posted the url for doesnt have one.

That a cantenna doesnt use anything like that.

The feed element is tuned to a 1/4 wave.

Its isnt a DIPOLE, its a monopole.

Think of a 1/4 vertical with the can being the ground plane, it is large enough wavelength wise.

Its nothing like a ground plane electrically.

Corse you do need to check that your cellphone can take an external antenna first, most cant.

I thought you were following the passive repeater bit. What I'm thinking is something of an improved version of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cellet-Mount-P.../dp/B000KNNKVS

Cant see that working very well.

And how do you plan to do it with that cantenna ?

Hey, if you know something about this, put in something
constructive, otherwise it's back in the virtual kill file.

I dont give a flying red **** what you do or do not choose to read.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote
George wrote
aemeijers wrote
Tony Miklos wrote
Jeff Thies wrote

[...]

It aint about survival, its about convenience.

If you do need a cellphone anyway, it may not be
worth it for HIM to pay for a fixed line phone as well
if he can make the cellphone work cheaply at home.

Mine lives in my briefcase, and I turn it on once a week to clear the wrong-number messages. I actually carry
it in my pocket and switched on, maybe 4-5 days a year, when I am
traveling, or need to meet up with some contractor or something. That
is worth the 8 bucks a month to me. But 50 bucks a month or more for
a smartphone? What for? I have a computer at work, and a computer at
home. I can tough it out for the 15 minute commute. I refuse to be a
cell phone zombie wandering around the grocery store or mall or city
street, hunched over looking at a tiny screen.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 18:44:24 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

[...]

We don't have a land line. Except when I was looking for a job and during the
later move, I rarely use my cell phone but I do carry it with me when I'm out
of the house anyway.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2011 6:44 PM, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

Actually that sounds quaint and how folks used to use cellphones when
they cost $1/minute and had 1 hour battery life.

We don't have a landline. Everyone in my family and most of my friends
are on the same carrier so we have "free" calling.

I think cellphones have incredible utility value. Just yesterday morning
I had a two hour drive to meet someone and about ten minutes into the
ride the guy called and said he had a family emergency and needed to
reschedule. If my phone was turned off I would have wasted 4 hours of
driving. And with a smartphone I can often resolve stuff in minutes.
Also I can search stuff, look up prices, get notifications on deliveries
and handy stuff like being able to check the weather radar when we are
out cycling to decide how long we have until the storm instead of the
old days of "rain is forecast , lets ride another day"
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote in
:

The rental house is on the downside of a hill and the
cellphone
coverage is poor. Up the driveway it is fine.

Any experience with any of the cell phone boosters?

I see some are tethered to the phone, in which case an
antenna would
be just as well. Some rebroadcast both ways. I'd like to
spend less than $200, but you know how that goes!

I'm halfway thinking of a Pringles can (or some such
waveguide
antenna) facing the tower, but elevated, connected to a
half (or quarter if there is a ground plane) wave dipole.
Seems like the can would have a ton of gain. Crazy?

Jeff

This would be so much easier if one could post a PDF here but
here is a website that teaches you the same thing, What works
for Wifi WORKS for cell phones as well. I built one of these
and I can hit any unsecured Wifi spot within ten miles of my
vehicle, Oh ya this would look weird strapped on a bike? I
wouldn't recommend it. Here's the site hurry the Article is
getting ready to "Time Out".

"http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/how-to-build-a-wifi-
biquad-dish-antenna/"

You can cut corners by getting a Pad antenna and using that on
the Dishes horn but the construction is pretty simple, I opted
out of the cost and built the Pad myself. Some HAMS call them
"BowTie" antennas. Others may use the term "Pressure-Zone"
what-ever.

--
Get SSL VPN services now, KEEP Government OUT of your
business..

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

Remember "Cut and Paste" to URL works better then active click.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/how-to-build-a-wifi-
biquad-dish-antenna
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Apr 10, 4:54*pm, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

Really? I think that I'd miss having my cell phone, seeing as it
actually works, as opposed to the last land line that I had (which
Verizon claimed worked, and had no problem charging me for, but would
stop working if it was raining, humid, windy, etc. or even for no
discernable reason.) My monthly cell bill was cheaper than my (basic,
no long distance) land line bill too.

There's a reason that I haven't had a land line in years, and it
starts with "V" and ends in "erizon."

nate
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Apr 13, 8:12*am, George wrote:
[...]

yup yup yup

also my cellphone has free unlimited mobile-to-mobile minutes no
matter who the carrier is, and free "night and weekend" minutes so
it's a very rare call (would have to be during the day, on a weekday,
and to a land line) for which I actually get charged minutes. And I
have 450 of those a month. I don't talk on the phone nearly enough to
get to that. I finally drank the Kool-Aid and got a smart phone a
couple months ago, and it's cool as heck, but even before that, I was
cell only for about seven years just because the convenience of the
cell was great, and with high-speed internet there was no longer any
compelling reason at all to pay for a land line which pretty much
would never get used. (why would I make a LD call from a land line
and get charged for it, when I can make the same call for free from my
cell?)

And, like I said, it works, without hassle. Unlike the last THREE
times I got a land line from V*****n, about whom I don't have the
vocabulary to clearly explain to you just how badly and in how many
different ways they suck. And I am quite fluent in colloquial English
profanity.

nate
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 10:26*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *The rental house is on the downside of a hill and the cellphone
coverage is poor. Up the driveway it is fine.

* *Any experience with any of the cell phone boosters?

* *I see some are tethered to the phone, in which case an antenna would
be just as well. Some rebroadcast both ways. I'd like to spend less than
$200, but you know how that goes!

* *I'm halfway thinking of a Pringles can (or some such waveguide
antenna) facing the tower, but elevated, connected to a half (or quarter
if there is a ground plane) wave dipole. Seems like the can would have a
ton of gain. Crazy?

* *Jeff

I bought a 400$ booster with dual antennas and it didnt help. Then I
got a Micro Cell and it boosted me about 3-5 bars. Att Verizon and
maybe Sprint have these. They are a trasmitter reciever and run your
cell phone over the internet. for about 150 I got the Att version. I
have no added monthly fee.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2011 3:33 PM, N8N wrote:
(snip).

(why would I make a LD call from a land line
and get charged for it, when I can make the same call for free from my
cell?)

How are the international rates on your cell? Do dial-around services
work on them? I have wacko relatives that insist on living on the other
side of the puddle.

And why are you replying to a month-old thread?

--
aem sends...

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2011 8:27 PM, ransley wrote:
On Apr 10, 10:26 am, Jeff wrote:
[...]

Only useful if you have a good internet connection. Not always true in
areas with lousy cell coverage, for the same reasons- no money in it for
the vendors.

--
aem sends...
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 10:26 am, Jeff *wrote:
[...]

Not true, I have crap att broadband, often it can go to 400kb download
and never goes over 1.2mb download, average is 1mb down. And ATT cant
get me better service. All you need is broadband just no dialup. It
is for areas of lousy cell phone coverage, thats the point. The
vendors do sell alot of them as verizon just came out with theirs.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 10:26 am, Jeff wrote:
[...]

How about on a 384 DSL line, like many of us have? And that is when it
is working correctly.

Just checked. A blazing 480kb up, and 380kb down. Surprisingly good.

--
aem sends...