Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tips needed to painting baseboard next to carpeting

subject line says it all...

pull 'em off, sand, and paint would seem to be the best..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2011 6:21 PM, kansascats wrote:
subject line says it all...

pull 'em off, sand, and paint would seem to be the best..

One of many reasons I prefer trim to have a clear hard finish, that can
outlast multiple paint jobs. Just mask and paint. But to address the
original question, I have seen pro painters cut in the baseboard in a
carpeted office using a metal shield the slips under the baseboard-
paint a couple feet, slide down, and repeat. But with most things like
this, experience makes a big difference- I could never do it, I'd always
have a dribble off the trailing end from applying too much paint.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

kansascats wrote in :

subject line says it all...

pull 'em off, sand, and paint would seem to be the best..

If all they need is a coat of paint...

I've used a 12" mud knife. Push deep into where carpet meets baseboard.
Pull back to move carpet away from baseboard. Paint. Slide sideways.
Gotta wipe off knife every once in a while.

Should actually get one of these. 36" length.

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Paint...atalogId=10053
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 7:17*pm, Tegger wrote:
kansascats wrote in news:40c2e2c9-ed45-49b7-87d7-
:

subject line says it all...

pull 'em off, sand, and paint would seem to be the best..

Painters' masking tape.

Apply it to the /carpet/, with 1/8" or so riding up the baseboards. Tuck
the ride-up part under the baseboard. Paint away, give it time to dry, then
peel off. Job done.

--
Tegger

Old metal venetian blinds work great for this

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Apr 4, 7:04*pm, Red Green wrote:
kansascats wrote :

subject line says it all...

pull 'em off, sand, and paint would seem to be the best..

If all they need is a coat of paint...

I've used a 12" mud knife. Push deep into where carpet meets baseboard.
Pull back to move carpet away from baseboard. Paint. Slide sideways.
Gotta wipe off knife every once in a while.

Should actually get one of these. 36" length.

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Paint...Zbobd/R-100180...

That works. I have also shoved contractor's paper underneath the
baseboard with a putty knife, painted, then removed paper before the
paint got dry.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

kansascats wrote:
subject line says it all...

pull 'em off, sand, and paint would seem to be the best..

I agree.

Tip: Don't try to remove the nails - pull them through. If you hammer them
out the way they came in, you'll often punch out a substantial hunk of wood.

If you have lots of baseboard pieces (several doors involved for instance),
number the pieces on the back.

So, then, removing the baseboards is an excellent way to easily recondition
them - fill in the dings, sand, prime, re-paint, etc. With the baseboards
out of the way, painting the walls is easier too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

kansascats wrote :

subject line says it all...

pull 'em off, sand, and paint would seem to be the best..

If all they need is a coat of paint...

I've used a 12" mud knife. Push deep into where carpet meets baseboard.
Pull back to move carpet away from baseboard. Paint. Slide sideways.
Gotta wipe off knife every once in a while.

Should actually get one of these. 36" length.

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Paint...Zbobd/R-100180...

That works. I have also shoved contractor's paper underneath the
baseboard with a putty knife, painted, then removed paper before the
paint got dry.

I've used masking tape with the sticky side against the carpet. Shove it
under with a putty knife, paint, and remove the tape when the paint is just
past tacky. The putty knife can also be used to make sure the tape doesn't
pull the paint.