Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Carpeting advice needed asap

Has anyone worked with Empire Carpet, and if so, how good are their
service/prices?

Sue
--
"It's not smart or correct, but it's one of the things that
make us what we are." - Red Green
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Cheezits wrote:

Has anyone worked with Empire Carpet, and if so, how good are their
service/prices?

Sue

Blast. Now I have that dumb jingle running through my mind... "588-2300..."
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." wrote:
Cheezits wrote:

Has anyone worked with Empire Carpet, and if so, how good are their
service/prices?

Blast. Now I have that dumb jingle running through my mind...
"588-2300..."

They must be pretty good if the most common complaint I can find is about
their jingle. :-D And it worked, didn't it? Because I did call them and
got an estimate. But I still have a few hours left to cancel my
appointment so I am looking for any last minute advice.

Sue
--
"It's not smart or correct, but it's one of the things that
make us what we are." - Red Green
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Cheezits wrote:

"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." wrote:
Cheezits wrote:

Has anyone worked with Empire Carpet, and if so, how good are their
service/prices?

Blast. Now I have that dumb jingle running through my mind...
"588-2300..."

They must be pretty good if the most common complaint I can find is about
their jingle. :-D And it worked, didn't it? Because I did call them and
got an estimate. But I still have a few hours left to cancel my
appointment so I am looking for any last minute advice.

Google them. You'll find the BBB in Washington state has had five
complaints about them; you'll find a couple complaint sites where
customers complained the promised 'next day' install took several
days, or where the quality of the carpet and job (they apparently sub
out the work) was way below expectation. You'll also find satisfied
customers who thought the price was a bit high, but were willing to
pay it to get the job done asap. Apparently part of their m.o. is to
offer only a limited selection to choose from, which makes it easier
for them to succeed at the 'next day' promise.

I'd recommend getting the typical three bids, unless getting it
installed fast is such a priority it overrides everything else.

HellT
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Cheezits writes:

Has anyone worked with Empire Carpet, and if so, how good are their
service/prices?

Prices are horrible. They have to pay for all those friggin tv ads
somehow though.

Where are you located? Getting a good independent carpet installer
that works with a good mill is the way to go.

I got premium grade carpet installed with padding, take up and
disposal, and everything for a dollar or two more a yard than I could
even get a mediocre grade carpet alone at Home Depot (i.e. w/o the
adders of installation, padding, takeup, and haul away).

If you know a Realtor, odds are they'll have a bead on a local
independent carpet guy that fits the bill. If you happen to be in
Chicagoland, I'd be happy to pass a name along to ya if you email me
at tdh {at} the domain in my posting address.

Best REgards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

A colleague of mine had terrible experience with Empire in Minnesota.
The installation guys came in and screwed up with padding in many rooms
and did not turn up to fix it.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
v v is offline

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 17:02:58 GMT, someone wrote:

They must be pretty good if the most common complaint I can find is about
their jingle. :-D And it worked, didn't it?

Someobody is paying for all that expensive advertising. And that
somebody would be their customers.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
v v is offline

On 3 Jul 2006 15:30:58 -0700, someone wrote:

A colleague of mine had terrible experience with Empire in Minnesota.

Limited relevance.

Isn't it mainly a marketing company that then uses subcontractors for
the actual on-site work? The job is only as good as that sub on that
day.