Mak Wilson

Default Water-based Polyurethane Finish advice needed

After a day of dry time I expect to finish my newly oil-stained oak
kitchen table. (Actually it's a refinishing job on a nice but not
particularly valuable table). Unless someone can talk me out of it,
I'm planning to use a waterbase finish, namely Minwax's Polycrylic
semi-gloss. (I don't hate ambering, just wanted to give water-based a
try). I've been talking so some local DIYers and between them and the
instructions on the can, I'm getting some conflicting advice. I'd be
thankful if anyone in the group could offer some insight...

#1. Of course I want it to look nice, but this table serves a very
practical purpose as the main kitchen table and it will suffer some
light abuse. Naturally, I want a durable long lasting finish and so I
plan to do several coats. Minwax says 3 minimun, but what's the max
number of coats I CAN do, and does a large number of coats alter the
sand/recoat process in any way?

#2. Minwax states recommended time recoating is two hours, but is
there a danger of waiting TOO long between coats and does doing so
alter the sand/recoat process in any way?

#3. Seems the local "pros" in my area all suggest using steel wool.
(00) Minwax says avoid it due to the possibility of a loose strand
getting caught in the finish and causing a stain in the wood. Is that
really something to be concerned about if I'm willing to wipe down the
dust after sanding (with a wet rag)? Minwax suggests 220, but I know
steel wool will get me a lot smoother. Will chosing one over the other
make much of a difference in the final result?

Thanks for the advice. I know my questions are a little pickey.

Minwax Polycrylic Directions:
http://www.minwax.com/products/prote...lic-direct.cfm

Polycrylic FAQ:
http://www.minwax.com/products/prote...crylic-faq.cfm

dadiOH

Mak Wilson wrote:

Minwax Polycrylic Directions:

Subject/body conflict...polycrylic isn't polyurethane.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

C & M

I used this on all of the oak base and door trim in the house and used steel
wool between coats because the wool conforms better to the variations. I
was pretty meticulous about the clean up between coats and have had no
problems with discoloration, etc since then (2 yrs)

"Mak Wilson" wrote in message
oups.com...
After a day of dry time I expect to finish my newly oil-stained oak
kitchen table. (Actually it's a refinishing job on a nice but not
particularly valuable table). Unless someone can talk me out of it,
I'm planning to use a waterbase finish, namely Minwax's Polycrylic
semi-gloss. (I don't hate ambering, just wanted to give water-based a
try). I've been talking so some local DIYers and between them and the
instructions on the can, I'm getting some conflicting advice. I'd be
thankful if anyone in the group could offer some insight...

nospambob

I grew up with oil based stuff and the progress that's been made in
waterbased made me switch, much happier with WB. Risk of rust if
steel wool bit contacts water. Use synthetic wool instead according
to finishing gurus. Polyu doesn't like to stick to anything including
itself so needs a little tooth on the surface for adhesion. If
there's no open time for recoat on the label presume scuff sanding
between coats necessary. I use gloss polyu instead of satin as gloss
doesn't have any flatteners to obscure the grain. Some build with
gloss then put a final coat of sheen desired. Steel wool bit getting
into oak WILL result in a black stain due to reaction of steel and
tannins in oak. The stain can be reversed with oxalic acid but it's
safer to use synthetics for abrasion. What type of stain used will
drive the next step. If it was an oil stain a coat of dewaxed shellac
will be needed as a barrier coat. Zinsser's Seal Coat is dewaxed
shellac with a three year shelf life from date printed on the can.
Didn't mean to get so wordy.
If time permits look around at www.homesteadfinishing.com that has a
search capability and www.refinishwizard.com, both valuable forums!

#2. Minwax states recommended time recoating is two hours, but is

#3. Seems the local "pros" in my area all suggest using steel wool.
(00) Minwax says avoid it due to the possibility of a loose strand
getting caught in the finish and causing a stain in the wood. Is that
really something to be concerned about if I'm willing to wipe down the
dust after sanding (with a wet rag)? Minwax suggests 220, but I know
steel wool will get me a lot smoother. Will chosing one over the other
make much of a difference in the final result?

brass wool.

Thanks for the advice. I know my questions are a little pickey.

Minwax Polycrylic Directions:
http://www.minwax.com/products/prote...lic-direct.cfm

Polycrylic FAQ:
http://www.minwax.com/products/prote...crylic-faq.cfm

try rec.woodworking

Water Based Polyurethane Stains ? Robert11 Home Repair 6 February 28th 05 08:47 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Can we use water based finish on oil based finish for maintenance coats? John Smith Home Repair 9 April 28th 04 05:45 PM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 02:01 AM