Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT? hooking up a DVD player to an old TV

On Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:55:57 PM UTC-4, Tony Miklos wrote:
RCA cables from DVD to VCR and 75ohm coax from
VCR to the TV. Works for me!

You may see, when watching DVDs that have the Macrovision "copy protection" bit set, that the picture gets brighter and darker in a regular pattern over time. Macrovision[tm], if I remember correctly, messes up the signal a bit to sabotage attempts to dub yourself a copy of the "protected" DVD.

Your DVD player may not respect the Macrovision bit, or it may have a service menu option to turn it off. I mention this as a more general warning to others, because DVD - VCR - old TV is an obvious setup to try, especially if you're already using the VCR to tune in cable channels.

--Eric Smith
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric S. Smith: Left-Field Marshal wrote:
On Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:55:57 PM UTC-4, Tony Miklos wrote:
RCA cables from DVD to VCR and 75ohm coax from
VCR to the TV. Works for me!

You may see, when watching DVDs that have the Macrovision "copy protection" bit set, that the picture gets brighter and darker in a regular pattern over time. Macrovision[tm], if I remember correctly, messes up the signal a bit to sabotage attempts to dub yourself a copy of the "protected" DVD.

Your DVD player may not respect the Macrovision bit, or it may have a service menu option to turn it off. I mention this as a more general warning to others, because DVD - VCR - old TV is an obvious setup to try, especially if you're already using the VCR to tune in cable channels.

--Eric Smith

Hi,
I built a little box to avoid Macrovision protection to copy DVD.
It is very simple if you know how. Couple chips and [arts with soldering
iron. Now I download things to burn.

OT? hooking up a DVD player to an old TV Tony Miklos[_2_] Home Repair 14 March 25th 11 11:35 PM
Hooking up a car audio amp Vey Electronics Repair 4 May 24th 07 08:11 PM
Hooking up a dryer alaric Home Repair 5 March 18th 07 09:20 PM
More OT, hooking computers together JohnM Metalworking 27 August 5th 05 05:39 AM
Hooking Up A RF Modulator Darren Thornton Electronics 2 December 27th 04 09:28 AM