Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric S. Smith: Left-Field Marshal Eric S. Smith: Left-Field Marshal is offline

Default OT? hooking up a DVD player to an old TV

On Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:55:57 PM UTC-4, Tony Miklos wrote:
RCA cables from DVD to VCR and 75ohm coax from
VCR to the TV. Works for me!

You may see, when watching DVDs that have the Macrovision "copy protection" bit set, that the picture gets brighter and darker in a regular pattern over time. Macrovision[tm], if I remember correctly, messes up the signal a bit to sabotage attempts to dub yourself a copy of the "protected" DVD.

Your DVD player may not respect the Macrovision bit, or it may have a service menu option to turn it off. I mention this as a more general warning to others, because DVD - VCR - old TV is an obvious setup to try, especially if you're already using the VCR to tune in cable channels.

--Eric Smith