Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hooking up a dryer

I need to hookup my Sears/Kenmore dryer but having some problems.
Using a multimeter I know the outlet the dryer is plugged in to is
providing 220w but when I push the dryer's start button nothing
happens. So I need to know if the dryer is not starting because
either (a) the start mechanism is broken or (b) the dryer itself is
not properly powered but not really sure of the next step.

My dryer has an external ground connector on the back that is
currently not attached to anything. Assuming this needs to be
connected to ground what are some economical options for this ?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

alaric wrote:

I need to hookup my Sears/Kenmore dryer but having some problems.
Using a multimeter I know the outlet the dryer is plugged in to is
providing 220w but when I push the dryer's start button nothing
happens. So I need to know if the dryer is not starting because
either (a) the start mechanism is broken or (b) the dryer itself is
not properly powered but not really sure of the next step.

My dryer has an external ground connector on the back that is
currently not attached to anything. Assuming this needs to be
connected to ground what are some economical options for this ?

Thanks.

The outlet needs to supply 240V Line-to-Line (heater)
and also 120V Line-to-Neutral for the motor to run.

Measure them both while trying to start the motor.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

alaric wrote:
I need to hookup my Sears/Kenmore dryer but having some problems.
Using a multimeter I know the outlet the dryer is plugged in to is
providing 220w but when I push the dryer's start button nothing
happens. So I need to know if the dryer is not starting because
either (a) the start mechanism is broken or (b) the dryer itself is
not properly powered but not really sure of the next step.

My dryer has an external ground connector on the back that is
currently not attached to anything. Assuming this needs to be
connected to ground what are some economical options for this ?

Ooo! It may be that the ground is being used as the neutral.

Measure from each 240-leg to the supposed neutral. Got nothing?

Use caution!

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have 3 wires.......

black white red

between black and red 240V

Between black and white OR black and red 120V

White should be the neutral.

Green wire if found is seperate frame ground.

Posted to alt.home.repair

He started out right but got tangled at the end.

wrote in message
ups.com...
If you have 3 wires.......

black white red

between black and red 240V

Between black and white OR black and red 120V

Should say Between black and white OR white and red 120V

White should be the neutral.

Green wire if found is seperate frame ground.

Posted to alt.home.repair

alaric wrote:
I need to hookup my Sears/Kenmore dryer but having some problems.
Using a multimeter I know the outlet the dryer is plugged in to is
providing 220w but when I push the dryer's start button nothing
happens. So I need to know if the dryer is not starting because
either (a) the start mechanism is broken or (b) the dryer itself is
not properly powered but not really sure of the next step.

My dryer has an external ground connector on the back that is
currently not attached to anything. Assuming this needs to be
connected to ground what are some economical options for this ?

Thanks.

Modern dryer outlets should have four connections. Two hots (red and
black) one neutral (white) and one green or bare copper. Some older dryers
only needed three. I would guess some today may only need three. Likely
your dryer needs four.

Unless you are really comfortable working with these things, I suggest
you get a professional to change the three connection outlet to a four.
Note, this likely will require some new wiring.

You notice I did not give you specific instructions since there are many
possible variations on this theme. That is why I suggest you seek out a
professional to assure it is done right and safe. Just because everything
seems to work does not mean it is safe.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit