Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What kind of glue?

I have a fountain and one of the big saucer things sets on a cinder
block. It is not very pretty. I would like to glue some small decorative
stones to the cinder block to make it look better. once the stones are
glued on and dry they will be in a damp enviornment.
What kind of glue should I use?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/20/2011 11:54 AM, Herb Eneva wrote:
I have a fountain and one of the big saucer things sets on a cinder
block. It is not very pretty. I would like to glue some small decorative
stones to the cinder block to make it look better. once the stones are
glued on and dry they will be in a damp enviornment.
What kind of glue should I use?

Thinset or mortar or construction adhesive, and then grout, if you want
to fill the gaps between the stones. If it is more than one cinder
block, fasten them together. Big-box should have something in the
SakCrete aisle that will work for all of it. Are you trying to make it
look like a stone column, or just decorate it? If the latter, you could
use a stiff mix of mortar or thinset to ice it like a cake, and just
press the stones into it once it sets up a couple of minutes.

Play with it- the supplies are cheap, and what have you got to lose?
Make sure to buy a pair of rubber gloves, though. Anything cement-based
is murder on the hands, and construction adhesive is a pain to scrub off.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message
I have a fountain and one of the big saucer things sets on a cinder
block. It is not very pretty. I would like to glue some small decorative
stones to the cinder block to make it look better. once the stones are
glued on and dry they will be in a damp enviornment.
What kind of glue should I use?

I'd use urethane construction adhesive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 10:54*am, (Herb Eneva) wrote:
* I have a fountain and one of the big saucer things sets on a cinder
block. It is not very pretty. I would like to glue some small decorative
stones to the cinder block to make it look better. once the stones are
glued on and dry they will be in a damp enviornment.
What kind of glue should I use?

Does it have to withstand freezing and thawing, or are you in FL or CA
or southcoast of USA?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/20/2011 10:54 AM, Herb Eneva wrote:
I have a fountain and one of the big saucer things sets on a cinder
block. It is not very pretty. I would like to glue some small decorative
stones to the cinder block to make it look better. once the stones are
glued on and dry they will be in a damp enviornment.
What kind of glue should I use?

Check out this site for advice on gluing:

http://www.thistothat.com/

TDD