Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing triplex doorbell, one 4wire wire, help with wiring??

Installing triplex doorbell, 4wires, help with wiring??

Can someone please help… I am trying to replace a doorbell in a
triplex I live in. Three separate bells, three separate buttons.

There is one 4wire wire (red, green, yellow, black) coming out of the
wall to the door bell.

Doorbell 1
Screw 1: Red
Screw 2: Green

Doorbell 2
Screw 1: Red, Red
Screw 2: Black, Yellow

Doorbell 3 ??? (Doesn't work)
Screw 1: Red
Screw 2: ???? Nothing ????
Doorbell 3 is the problem. When I looked at the doorbell, it appeared
that only one red wire was attached to one of the screws. The other
screw didn't have any wire attached. I could be wrong, but the red
wire on Screw 1 looked like it was one of the red wires from doorbell2
on screw 1??? It came loose when I was uninstalling it, so I don't
know. For that matter, it is possible that a wire on screw 2 fell
behind the wall somehow? I really don't know….

Other information: There is a twist on wire connector (marrette) for
the red wire. Currently there is just one red wire coming out of the
marrette, but that doesn't make sense to me. I have to assume that the
marrette was used to split a red, but I can't see it. I suppose
someone could have just been trying to lengthen the red wire, but that
explanation seems somewhat implausible?

Can anyone who understands electricity or doorbells tell me how door
bell 3 should be connected? Thank you!!
-Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bertbarndoor" wrote in message

[...]

One of the wires brings power to all three buttons. It is probably the red
wire. So, one screw from each of the three buttons should be attached to
that red wire. Each of the other three wires go to the other screw of their
respective button. You need to touch each one to the red wire, one at a
time, and see which bell rings. Then you can attach them in the proper order

Posted to alt.home.repair

One of the wires brings power to all three buttons. It is probably the red
wire. So, one screw from each of the three buttons should be attached to
that red wire. Each of the other three wires go to the other screw of their
respective button. You need to touch each one to the red wire, one at a
time, and see which bell rings. Then you can attach them in the proper order

I agree with your rationale with the red wires.
However, why is the black and yellow tied together on one screw on
Button #2 then?

Thanks,
Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 09:29:43 -0700 (PDT), bertbarndoor
wrote:

Installing triplex doorbell, 4wires, help with wiring??

Can someone please help€¦ I am trying to replace a doorbell in a
triplex I live in. Three separate bells, three separate buttons.

There is one 4wire wire (red, green, yellow, black) coming out of the
wall to the door bell.

You mean "to the door bell buttons", right?

There are three parts to each doorbell circuit, the button, the bell,
and the power transformer, which might be in the basement.

All your doorbells are really separate except they share one
transformer. Specifically, they share the transformer and also the
wire to the buttons, the red wire it seems. The 4-wire wire probably
comes from the transformer area. The other three wires in it are
probably spliced near the transformer, each to a wire that goes to one
of the bells. Also there is wire from each bell that comes back to
the power transformer, to the screw on it that does not have the red
wire.)

RBM's advice is good, but I wanted to give you more background.

Doorbell 1
Screw 1: Red
Screw 2: Green

Doorbell 2
Screw 1: Red, Red

Because they all share the red wire, I would have expected two bells
to have a red wire coming in, and then continuing to another button,
on TWO of the buttons. You list only one, but further down you talk
about a wirenut, which probably has one red wire coming in and two
going out. Serves the same purpose.

Screw 2: Black, Yellow

The black and yellow probably go (via the basement or wherever the
transformer is, where they are spliced to other wires) to separate
bells. Doorbell two works, but how many bells ring, only one, or
two? You may need an assistant, closer to the bells, especially to
figure out if black is apt. 2 or 3.

It seems to me likely that either the black or yellow should be
removed and attached to screw 2 of doorbell 3. Is there any chance
you moved that wire? This can be true even if only one bell rings
when you press the button. Sometimes one bell will hog the current
and not leave enough for the other bell, especially if they are
different designs. So if only one bell rings, disconnect the black
and push the button with only the yellow connected. Then attach the
black and not the yellow (or touch the black to the red, no
button-push needed, and see if another bell rings.

Doorbell 3 ??? (Doesn't work)
Screw 1: Red
Screw 2: ???? Nothing ????
Doorbell 3 is the problem. When I looked at the doorbell, it appeared
that only one red wire was attached to one of the screws. The other
screw didn't have any wire attached. I could be wrong, but the red
wire on Screw 1 looked like it was one of the red wires from doorbell2
on screw 1??? It came loose when I was uninstalling it, so I don't
know. For that matter, it is possible that a wire on screw 2 fell
behind the wall somehow? I really don't know€¦.

At first it bothered me that all three buttons have a red wire, but
there is only one red wire and it comes and then goes to only one
button, not two. Never mind, you explain that with the wire nut below.

Other information: There is a twist on wire connector (marrette) for
the red wire. Currently there is just one red wire coming out of the
marrette,

What's a marrette!

but that doesn't make sense to me. I have to assume that the
marrette was used to split a red, but I can't see it. I suppose
someone could have just been trying to lengthen the red wire, but that
explanation seems somewhat implausible?

It seems okay to me.

Can anyone who understands electricity or doorbells tell me how door
bell 3 should be connected? Thank you!!

If you don't want to disconnect wires from the buttons, you can use a
screwdriver blade or metal pliers or a wire with alligator clips on
each end to connect the two screws on one button togeether. You can do
this ONLY because it's low voltage, 12 or 16 vac, volts ac.

-Rob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bertbarndoor" wrote in message
One of the wires brings power to all three buttons. It is probably the
red
wire. So, one screw from each of the three buttons should be attached to
that red wire. Each of the other three wires go to the other screw of
their
respective button. You need to touch each one to the red wire, one at a
time, and see which bell rings. Then you can attach them in the proper
order

I agree with your rationale with the red wires.
However, why is the black and yellow tied together on one screw on
Button #2 then?

Thanks,
Rob

Don't know, unless two bells rang off of the same button. With only 4 wires
involved, it can only be one feed and three returns

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

wrote:

Other information: There is a twist on wire connector (marrette) for
the red wire. Currently there is just one red wire coming out of the
marrette,

What's a marrette!

OP is a unionized Canadian government employee, posting from a taxpayer-
funded government computer, and on taxpayer time (9:30 am). Our tax dollars
at work.

"Marrette" is a brand of wire nut sold in Canada.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote:

What's a marrette!

OP is a unionized Canadian government employee, posting from a
taxpayer- funded government computer, and on taxpayer time (9:30 am).
Our tax dollars at work.

"Marrette" is a brand of wire nut sold in Canada.

Good catch. But we have slackers in the U.S., too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's my sense, also. Most Republicans are
hard working. It's the liberal Democrats who
tend to avoid work.

Of course, this isn't really relevant to the
original post. I have no experience with
triplex doorbells, so I can't add much there.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren" wrote in message

OP is a unionized Canadian government employee, posting
from a
taxpayer- funded government computer, and on taxpayer
time (9:30 am).
Our tax dollars at work.

"Marrette" is a brand of wire nut sold in Canada.

Good catch. But we have slackers in the U.S., too.

Yep. A slight few are Republicans.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:29:03 -0700 (PDT), bertbarndoor
wrote:

One of the wires brings power to all three buttons. It is probably the red
wire. So, one screw from each of the three buttons should be attached to
that red wire. Each of the other three wires go to the other screw of their
respective button. You need to touch each one to the red wire, one at a
time, and see which bell rings. Then you can attach them in the proper order

I agree with your rationale with the red wires.
However, why is the black and yellow tied together on one screw on
Button #2 then?

Thanks,
Rob

Red/Green/Yellow/Black sounds like someone had some telephone wire and
used it. It is probably smaller gauge than doorbell wire so they
doubled up wires to compensate. Think of black/yellow as one wire.
(Just guessing).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 12:29*pm, bertbarndoor wrote:
[...]

I would check each of the three bells and see what color wires are
connected to them. Might give a clue.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Just had a thought after that last post; could you replace them all
with wireless buttons? I googled "wireless doorbell" and got lots of
hits.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 10:31*am, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

Paul- Hide quoted text -

Did the system ever work correctly???
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Normally brief shorts between any two connectors on the bell will not
hurt anything including sparking directly across the transformer. With
this in mind one of the terminals on the bell should have 3 or 4 wires
going to it. This will be a COMMON. I would start out by momentarily
jumping this terminal to each of the other terminals to see what
happens. Sounds like yours was wired by just using one multiwire cable
and running it from the bell to each button picking off the wire that
was needed at each button plus the common. Mine was like that and
wired with telephone wire. I suggest that you to contact the
manufacturer for info. Google is your friend.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 1:37*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

Yours sounds a lot like the way mine is wired and from the sounds of
things you are on the right track to figuring it out, red is probably
the COMMON. Mine was wired withe telephone wire and the black wire
used as COMMON went to each switch and one of the other wires was
picked off to go back to the bell. Each door had its own sound. I
discovered how mine was wired when we added another back door. I ran
another pair and wired it in parallel with side door which is seldom
used. Sounds like your's was miswired at one switch and that messed up
that one and everything past it.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 10:53:03 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

On Mar 17, 1:37Â*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Mar 16, 12:29Â*pm, bertbarndoor wrote:

[...]

wired with telephone wire. I Â*suggest that you Â*to contact the
manufacturer for info. Google is your friend.

Jimmie

Yours sounds a lot like the way mine is wired and from the sounds of
things you are on the right track to figuring it out, red is probably
the COMMON. Mine was wired withe telephone wire and the black wire
used as COMMON went to each switch and one of the other wires was
picked off to go back to the bell. Each door had its own sound. I
discovered how mine was wired when we added another back door. I ran
another pair and wired it in parallel with side door which is seldom
used. Sounds like your's was miswired at one switch and that messed up
that one and everything past it.

Jimmie

He has 3 separate bells.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 8:52*pm, Tegger wrote:
OP is a unionized Canadian government employee, posting from a
taxpayer- funded government computer, and on taxpayer time (9:30 am).
Our tax dollars at work.

In case you think I'm joking, I'm not.
Tegger

Tegger, I am not a unionized employee. I am a temporary worker on a
contract with no benefits. I posted the message at 12:30pm, during my
unpaid lunch hour. FYI, I am in Ottawa, Ontario, using Eastern
Standard Time. PDT, or Pacific Time, applies to the west coast of
Canada, where it is 3 hours earlier.