Default Minimum wire size for doorbell?

The system uses a 24V transformer. I am not sure of the current draw.
I have extra 24 gauge wires available from an old phone system and I'd
like to use them (I won't have to rip open any walls.) I'm guessing 24
gauge is "probably" okay but not the best. (I can't pull the old phone
wires and install a new 18 gauge (???) cable, there are too many
staples along the path.)

What is the normal wire size for this situation?

Greetings,

Most phone cord has 4 wires (some has two). You can combine two and
two of these wires to help eliminate your concerns.

Hope this helps,
William

Bob Vaughan

In article .com,
wrote:

Joseph Meehan wrote:
wrote:
The system uses a 24V transformer. I am not sure of the current draw.
I have extra 24 gauge wires available from an old phone system and I'd
like to use them (I won't have to rip open any walls.) I'm guessing
24 gauge is "probably" okay but not the best. (I can't pull the old
phone wires and install a new 18 gauge (???) cable, there are too many
staples along the path.)

What is the normal wire size for this situation?

It is more a factor of distance than current. If you have a long run
that 24 gauge may have too much voltage loss and the bell may not function
properly.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Greetings,

If you have too much voltage drop simply use an 18 V buzzer or even a
12 V buzzer instead of the 24 V buzzer you were originally going to
install. It is a lot easier to substitute a different buzzer than to
open the walls.

Another option is to use a 24v relay to activate the bell. the button circuit
only has to carry enough current to pull in the relay.

We used a setup like this at a radio station that I worked for. The circuit ran
over 10kft (~2miles) on 22 gauge telephone wire. The circuit was used to
provide positive control of the transmitter, so that a cable cut would not
leave the transmitter on the air. The same cable carried the program audio,
and phone lines from the studio PBX..

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
Pop

Good grief, lots of answers here, eh?

24 gauge should do fine for a doorbell buzzer. It's
easily capable of 0.1A over a long run and is even
bigger than some of the supplied wiring on new bells
these days.

oups.com...