Posted to alt.home.repair

Default purpose of arrows under floor tile

Anyone know what the purpose of the arrows under peel and stick floor
tile is for? I'm ready to do my basement floor, and just for a test I
laid out some tiles and noticed thes arrows. The directions don't say,
but I read online they should point in the same direction. But I could
not notice any difference as far as the way it looks. If I randomly
scatter the tile, it looks the same.
Does it have something to do with the glue?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Direction arrows are common on ceiling tiles, some flooring,
carpet squares, etc. As these materials go through their
finishing stages, paints and dyes may not be consistent across the
face of the product. It can make a lot of difference on a large
area - one turned the wrong way with all others correct can really
show up. It is a cosmetic thing, not a glue thing.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Anyone know what the purpose of the arrows under peel and stick
floor
tile is for? I'm ready to do my basement floor, and just for a
test I
laid out some tiles and noticed thes arrows. The directions
don't say,
but I read online they should point in the same direction. But I
could
not notice any difference as far as the way it looks. If I
randomly
scatter the tile, it looks the same.
Does it have something to do with the glue?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 5:28*am, Mikepier wrote:
Anyone know what the purpose of the arrows under peel and stick floor
tile is for? I'm ready to do my basement floor, and just for a test I
laid out some tiles and noticed thes arrows. The directions don't say,
but I read online they should point in the same direction. But I could
not notice any difference as far as the way it looks. If I randomly
scatter the tile, it looks the same.
Does it have something to do with the glue?

Maybe it's just the same process of applying the glue as they use for
carpet tiles (where you would want to know the direction of the nap).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message

Anyone know what the purpose of the arrows under peel and stick
floor
tile is for? I'm ready to do my basement floor, and just for a
test I
laid out some tiles and noticed thes arrows. The directions
don't say,
but I read online they should point in the same direction. But I
could
not notice any difference as far as the way it looks. If I
randomly
scatter the tile, it looks the same.
Does it have something to do with the glue?- Hide quoted text -

Back in around 1968 we did the 'carpet tile' thing in the operations
briefing room. No attention paid to the arrows. Damndest looking thin
you ever saw. They were torn up and redone.

Can also ensure pattern matching.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob Villa" wrote in message
On Feb 28, 5:28 am, Mikepier wrote:
Anyone know what the purpose of the arrows under peel and stick floor
tile is for? I'm ready to do my basement floor, and just for a test I
laid out some tiles and noticed thes arrows. The directions don't say,
but I read online they should point in the same direction. But I could
not notice any difference as far as the way it looks. If I randomly
scatter the tile, it looks the same.
Does it have something to do with the glue?

My guess: since there are lots of tile patterns that require the tiles to be
placed in a specific direction in relation to the adjacent tiles, arrows are
printed on the bottom of the tiles to make installation easier. It is
probably simpler for the manufacturer to place these arrows on all their
tiles during their fabrication instead of separatin out the ones that need
it from the ones that don't.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 9:54*am, "Marilyn & Bob" wrote:
"Bob Villa" wrote in message

[...]

Use the arrows. Even on a floor tile that looks uniform, as it/they
wear, something may show up.. Be safe!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 11:28*am, Mikepier wrote:
Anyone know what the purpose of the arrows under peel and stick floor
tile is for? I'm ready to do my basement floor, and just for a test I
laid out some tiles and noticed thes arrows. The directions don't say,
but I read online they should point in the same direction. But I could
not notice any difference as far as the way it looks. If I randomly
scatter the tile, it looks the same.
Does it have something to do with the glue?

It indicates the direction of roll when they were manufacured.
Manufacturers often recommend that adjacent tiles have the arrows at
90 deg to one another. It looks better. Some say. Some disagree. But
you need to do one or the other consistantly.
The difference sometimes only shows when they have been walked on for
a while or scrubbed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Anyone know what the purpose of the arrows under peel and stick floor
tile is for? I'm ready to do my basement floor, and just for a test I
laid out some tiles and noticed thes arrows. The directions don't say,
but I read online they should point in the same direction. But I could
not notice any difference as far as the way it looks. If I randomly
scatter the tile, it looks the same.
Does it have something to do with the glue?

It's to confuse termites.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 11:35*am, cavedweller wrote:
On Feb 28, 1:16*pm, harry wrote:

On Feb 28, 11:28*am, Mikepier wrote:

Anyone know what the purpose of the arrows under peel and stick floor
tile is for? I'm ready to do my basement floor, and just for a test I
laid out some tiles and noticed thes arrows. The directions don't say,
but I read online they should point in the same direction. But I could
not notice any difference as far as the way it looks. If I randomly
scatter the tile, it looks the same.
Does it have something to do with the glue?

It indicates the direction of roll when they were manufacured.
Manufacturers often recommend that adjacent tiles have the arrows at
90 deg to one another. It looks better. *Some say. Some disagree. *But
you need to do one or the other consistantly.
The difference sometimes only shows when they have been walked on for
a while or scrubbed.

Twit- Hide quoted text -

Hey! It's Harry again. If he can't post at least two wrong things
every day he goes off his feed.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message

Anyone know what the purpose of the arrows under peel and stick
floor
tile is for? I'm ready to do my basement floor, and just for a
test I
laid out some tiles and noticed thes arrows. The directions
don't say,
but I read online they should point in the same direction. But I
could
not notice any difference as far as the way it looks. If I
randomly
scatter the tile, it looks the same.
Does it have something to do with the glue?- Hide quoted text -

For carpet squares it is a must that the arrows are followed. That
ensure the 'lay' of the carpet is all in one direction. The 'lay' is
the way the carpet is tied and is why a throw rug on carpet will
"walk" one direction but no other.

Harry K