Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New tile install/ floor combinations: was tile over oak floor

After careful consideration I have decided not to tile over my oak
floor and instead rip it out down to the subfloor, and would like to
install plywood and backer board for a new tile install. I have 3/4"
subfloor and can only go an additional 3/4" more due to height
problems. So here are my options to put over the 3/4" subfloor.

a) 3/4" plywood
b) 1/2" plywood plus 1/4" backer
c) 1/4" plywood plus 1/2" backer

Either choice would give me a combined floor of 1 1/2". So which would
be best?

Posted to alt.home.repair

BTW a recipricating saw with a some metal cutting blades will make removing
the oak floor easier. It barley needs any clearance to slip under the floor
strips and cut the nails.

"Mikepier" wrote in message
ups.com...
After careful consideration I have decided not to tile over my oak
floor and instead rip it out down to the subfloor, and would like to
install plywood and backer board for a new tile install. I have 3/4"
subfloor and can only go an additional 3/4" more due to height
problems. So here are my options to put over the 3/4" subfloor.

a) 3/4" plywood
b) 1/2" plywood plus 1/4" backer
c) 1/4" plywood plus 1/2" backer

Either choice would give me a combined floor of 1 1/2". So which would
be best?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Oct 2007 14:19:43 GMT, "Jeff" wrote:

BTW a recipricating saw with a some metal cutting blades will make removing
the oak floor easier. It barley needs any clearance to slip under the floor
strips and cut the nails.

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...
After careful consideration I have decided not to tile over my oak
floor and instead rip it out down to the subfloor, and would like to
install plywood and backer board for a new tile install. I have 3/4"
subfloor and can only go an additional 3/4" more due to height
problems. So here are my options to put over the 3/4" subfloor.

a) 3/4" plywood
b) 1/2" plywood plus 1/4" backer
c) 1/4" plywood plus 1/2" backer

Either choice would give me a combined floor of 1 1/2". So which would
be best?

I would say B or C, as long as you are using the backerboard.

samruai
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.cnd-industry.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
After careful consideration I have decided not to tile over my oak
floor and instead rip it out down to the subfloor, and would like to
install plywood and backer board for a new tile install. I have 3/4"
subfloor and can only go an additional 3/4" more due to height
problems. So here are my options to put over the 3/4" subfloor.

a) 3/4" plywood
b) 1/2" plywood plus 1/4" backer
c) 1/4" plywood plus 1/2" backer

Either choice would give me a combined floor of 1 1/2". So which
would be best?

1/2" plywood plus 1/4" backer

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 26, 8:51 am, Mikepier wrote:
After careful consideration I have decided not to tile over my oak
floor and instead rip it out down to the subfloor, and would like to
install plywood and backer board for a new tile install. I have 3/4"
subfloor and can only go an additional 3/4" more due to height
problems. So here are my options to put over the 3/4" subfloor.

a) 3/4" plywood
b) 1/2" plywood plus 1/4" backer
c) 1/4" plywood plus 1/2" backer

Either choice would give me a combined floor of 1 1/2". So which would
be best?

a) Is probably your best choice, since the 3/4" plywood is stiffer
than the other choices, and it is perfectly acceptable to glue (thin-
set) tiles directly to plywood.

The purpose of newsgroups is to share info. Everyone else is entitled
to their own opinions.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
After careful consideration I have decided not to tile over my oak
floor and instead rip it out down to the subfloor, and would like to
install plywood and backer board for a new tile install. I have 3/4"
subfloor and can only go an additional 3/4" more due to height
problems. So here are my options to put over the 3/4" subfloor.

a) 3/4" plywood
b) 1/2" plywood plus 1/4" backer
c) 1/4" plywood plus 1/2" backer

Either choice would give me a combined floor of 1 1/2". So which would
be best?

I see that now you mention keeping a 3/4" sub-floor after removing the
oak. That changes things a bit so (b) would be my choice. Denser than
either (a or c) and that's good.