Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bailout of wooden arrows

I feel very fortunate that the 700 billion bailout will save the
wooden arrows manufacturers 200,000 per year.

Call your congresscritter and urge them to support this historic
bailout, or else the economy will cease to exist as of the past
Monday, and we all will be left without money and wooden arrows.

http://calculatedrisk.blogspot.com/2...rrows-for.html

The bailout bill has a number of unrelated provisions. This one caught
my eye earlier today: SEC. 503. EXEMPTION FROM EXCISE TAX FOR CERTAIN
WOODEN ARROWS DESIGNED FOR USE BY CHILDREN.

Bloomberg has the details: Bailout Bull's-Eye for Kids' Arrow-Makers'
Tax Break

Senators attached a provision repealing a 39-cent excise tax on
wooden arrows designed for children to an historic $700 billion bank
rescue that is likely to pass tonight. The provision, originally
proposed by Oregon senators Ron Wyden and Gordon Smith, will save
manufacturers such as Rose City Archery in Myrtle Point, Oregon, about
$200,000 a year.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 13:46:44 -0500, Ignoramus23721
wrote:

I feel very fortunate that the 700 billion bailout will save the
wooden arrows manufacturers 200,000 per year.

Call your congresscritter and urge them to support this historic
bailout, or else the economy will cease to exist as of the past
Monday, and we all will be left without money and wooden arrows.

================================================= =====================

For summary [1 page], complete text [451 pages] and
section-by-section analysis [6 pages] of the "EMERGENCY ECONOMIC
STABILIZATION ACT OF 2008" in pdf format click on
http://banking.senate.gov/public/ind...h=10&Year=2008

Other than the pork-pork-pork in the bill, section 132 sumarized
as "Section 132. Authority to Suspend Mark-to-Market Accounting.
Restates the Securities and Exchange Commission’s authority to
suspend the application of Statement Number 157 of the Financial
Accounting Standards Board if the SEC determines that it is in
the public interest and protects investors." returning to Enron
style "mark to 'bong hit' asset valuation" is of the most
concern.

The "mark to market" requirement was introduced by the FASB
specifically to force accounting to report the actual net worth
of an organization as of the time of the report rather than what
it might be in 6 months or a year if everything went right, or
what the CEO was "just positive" it was worth.

It is the most blatant logic choping to complain that "we can't
tell what an asset is worth because there is no market for it."
If there is no market for it, then the asset is worth zippo, at
that time. If the most you can sell it for is 0.22$ per dollar,
then that's what it's worth at that time.

As a suggestion, why not pay the executive bonuses, deferred
compensation, etc. and any severence in CDOs if these are such a
good deal. Just use the discounted rate that they sold these to
the government for when calculating their payout.

For the name, phone/fax numbers and web mail of your
representative see http://www.house.gov. For their voting record
on the last "bailout bill" see
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1222...73-search.html

Hint: Book mark the webmail sites for your senators
[http://www.senate.gov] and representative in your browser. Just
like speed-dial but cheaper.

Remember -- it's your 2,300$ [per head] of tax money just for the
ante in this game.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus23721 wrote:

I feel very fortunate that the 700 billion bailout will save the
wooden arrows manufacturers 200,000 per year.

I'm against the bailout. Why do we need to have an excise tax on a childs toy?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Ignoramus23721 wrote:

I feel very fortunate that the 700 billion bailout will save the
wooden arrows manufacturers 200,000 per year.

I'm against the bailout. Why do we need to have an excise tax on a childs
toy?

Wes

Because we need the money, and kids don't vote.

That's as good as a tax can get. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-02, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus23721 wrote:

I feel very fortunate that the 700 billion bailout will save the
wooden arrows manufacturers 200,000 per year.

I'm against the bailout. Why do we need to have an excise tax on a childs toy?

So that they would make their own wooden arrows, like we did?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus23721"wrote:
Wes wrote:

I'm against the bailout. Why do we need to have an excise tax on a
childs toy?

So that they would make their own wooden arrows, like we did?

You had time to make wooden arrows? You were lucky!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Danniken wrote:
"Ignoramus23721"wrote:
Wes wrote:
I'm against the bailout. Why do we need to have an excise tax on a
childs toy?

So that they would make their own wooden arrows, like we did?

You had time to make wooden arrows? You were lucky!

You had wood?? Lucky you! We had to grow our own trees, for the next
generation.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus23721"wrote:
Wes wrote:

I'm against the bailout. Why do we need to have an excise tax on a
childs toy?

So that they would make their own wooden arrows, like we did?

You had time to make wooden arrows? You were lucky!

Jon

you had bows?

All I ever had was a femur. A big heavy one..but still ya had to
swing it really really hard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus23721 wrote:

I feel very fortunate that the 700 billion bailout will save the
wooden arrows manufacturers 200,000 per year.

Call your congresscritter and urge them to support this historic
bailout, or else the economy will cease to exist as of the past
Monday, and we all will be left without money and wooden arrows.

I did, but he wanted his ride on Air Force One.

Returning to metal work, does anybody have a stamp for wooden nickles?

Might be a better currency than greenbacks.

That and confederate money

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 2, 11:46*am, Ignoramus23721 ignoramus23...@NOSPAM.
23721.invalid wrote:
I feel very fortunate that the 700 billion bailout will save the
wooden arrows manufacturers 200,000 per year.

Iggy.
Every sporting item you have ever purchased new has had a Federal
excise tax attached to the price. The manufacturer pays it, but passes
it on to the consumer. Every gun, fishing pole, fishing lure, every
piece of ammo, has had an excise tax that you paid. The tax is
supposed to pay for fish and game management and enhancement. At some
time, some politician thought the wooden arrow users should also help
support fish and game.

The manufacturer of the wooden arrows can now lower the price and
compete with the Chinese wooden arrows. The importer still has to pay
the tax on their arrows from China.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that "charlie"
wrote on Fri, 3 Oct 2008 08:07:14
-0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

"Ignoramus23721"wrote:
Wes wrote:

I'm against the bailout. Why do we need to have an excise tax on a
childs toy?

So that they would make their own wooden arrows, like we did?

You had time to make wooden arrows? You were lucky!

Jon

you had bows?

No, just the arrows. Bows were promised, but always were expected
to be perfected in about five years. If anybody lived that long.

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
We didn't have these sorts of problems when I was a boy,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner
wrote on Fri, 03 Oct 2008 11:41:38
"Ignoramus23721"wrote:
Wes wrote:
I'm against the bailout. Why do we need to have an excise tax on a
childs toy?
So that they would make their own wooden arrows, like we did?
You had time to make wooden arrows? You were lucky!

you had bows?

All I ever had was a femur. A big heavy one..but still ya had to
swing it really really hard

late comers!

We didn't have bones in my day. Had to make due with cartilage
like stuff. It worked, but was really flexible, not at all good for
bashing things. Good thing for us, the rocks were still soft in those
days.
--
pyotr filipivich
Old farts these days - no like when I was a boy. We used to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote in message

The manufacturer of the wooden arrows can now lower the price and
compete with the Chinese wooden arrows. The importer still has to pay
the tax on their arrows from China.

Paul

Uh-oh...here comes the WTO. We'll probably pay a $100 million fine for
unfair trade.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

" wrote in message

The manufacturer of the wooden arrows can now lower the price and
compete with the Chinese wooden arrows. The importer still has to pay
the tax on their arrows from China.

Paul

Uh-oh...here comes the WTO. We'll probably pay a $100 million fine for
unfair trade.

Scewem.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Because we need the money, and kids don't vote.

That's as good as a tax can get. d8-)

Oh I thought it was taxing things you can't do without. d8-) back at ya.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

All I ever had was a femur. A big heavy one..but still ya had to
swing it really really hard

I liked using a tall tree and a big rock. Sucks if you missed.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Returning to metal work, does anybody have a stamp for wooden nickles?

Might be a better currency than greenbacks.

That and confederate money

I think .22LR will be the new currency.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Uh-oh...here comes the WTO. We'll probably pay a $100 million fine for
unfair trade.

When a country has **** poor enviromental, safety, and worker protection and sells into
our market, there should be an excise tax to level the field.

I don't have a problem with competing with the western nations and Japan.

That is my definition of fair trade.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 03:26:31 -0400, Wes wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Uh-oh...here comes the WTO. We'll probably pay a $100 million fine for
unfair trade.

When a country has **** poor enviromental, safety, and worker protection and sells into
our market, there should be an excise tax to level the field.

I don't have a problem with competing with the western nations and Japan.

That is my definition of fair trade.

Wes

Hear Hear. Tax all American goods exported to Europe :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:

Hear Hear. Tax all American goods exported to Europe :-)

What is it we are selling and you are buying? Other than our debt

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Uh-oh...here comes the WTO. We'll probably pay a $100 million fine for
unfair trade.

When a country has **** poor enviromental, safety, and worker protection
and sells into
our market, there should be an excise tax to level the field.

I don't have a problem with competing with the western nations and Japan.

That is my definition of fair trade.

Wes

It sounds good, Wes. Unfortunately, that isn't the way it works.

And the big thing is wages, anyway. The rest of it just matters at the
margins. But there is no margin in sight, when the relationship of wages is
20:1.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 09:53:18 -0400, Wes wrote:

Mark Rand wrote:

Hear Hear. Tax all American goods exported to Europe :-)

What is it we are selling and you are buying? Other than our debt

Wes

Fair point. And we already have a 10% tax on betting and bookmaking...

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:

Hear Hear. Tax all American goods exported to Europe :-)

What is it we are selling and you are buying? Other than our debt

Wes

Fair point. And we already have a 10% tax on betting and bookmaking...

Mark Rand
RTFM

Excuse me for interrupting a good rant and scapegoating session, but US
exports in goods and services to Europe currently are running $11 billion
per month and rising.

Please carry on with your rant. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 17:43:51 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

.. .

Mark Rand wrote:

Hear Hear. Tax all American goods exported to Europe :-)

What is it we are selling and you are buying? Other than our debt

Wes

Fair point. And we already have a 10% tax on betting and bookmaking...

Mark Rand
RTFM

Excuse me for interrupting a good rant and scapegoating session, but US
exports in goods and services to Europe currently are running $11 billion
per month and rising.

Please carry on with your rant. d8-)

Of course the US is exporting large amounts to Europe. It's what you low wage
foreign economy chappies are for, don't y'know?

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:

Of course the US is exporting large amounts to Europe. It's what you low wage
foreign economy chappies are for, don't y'know?

Ouch!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mark Rand" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 17:43:51 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

. ..

Mark Rand wrote:

Hear Hear. Tax all American goods exported to Europe :-)

What is it we are selling and you are buying? Other than our debt

Wes

Fair point. And we already have a 10% tax on betting and bookmaking...

Mark Rand
RTFM

Excuse me for interrupting a good rant and scapegoating session, but US
exports in goods and services to Europe currently are running $11 billion
per month and rising.

Please carry on with your rant. d8-)

Of course the US is exporting large amounts to Europe. It's what you low
wage
foreign economy chappies are for, don't y'know?

Whoops, wrong number. That was our net trade deficit. g Monthly exports to
EU, July 2008: $24 billion. Monthly imports from EU, July 2008: $35 billion.

We must be trading with the low-wage chappies in the EU. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 21:29:03 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

.. .

Mark Rand wrote:

[...]

Must be time for me to go to the boss and demand a pay rise, I think...

Mark Rand
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mark Rand" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 21:29:03 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Mark Rand" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 17:43:51 -0400, "Ed Huntress"

wrote:

m...

Mark Rand wrote:

[...]

No, don't do that. It will screw everything up. If you read the bible of
Reagonomics, _Free to Choose_, by Milton Friedman, you'd know that what
you're supposed to do is to wait the for dollar to decline in value and,
thus, for *our* pay to go down. Then we'll have parity.

I don't think you'll have a long wait.

--
Ed Huntress