Posted to alt.home.repair

Default stuck shower head

The subject line says it all. I do not have a lot of upper body
strength.

I have tried:
1- channel lock wrench
2- grip lock wrench
both wrenches at the same time in opposite directions
3- penetrating oil
4- WD-40
5- vinegar
6- CLR
7- heat (cigarette lighter)

Nothing has worked. I just tried to get the arm (from the wall) off
and I can't do that either (turned water off first).

Does it sound like I need hire a plumber? It could be that I just
don't have the strength but I must admit I have never had this
difficulty before.

Thanks for any input you can offer.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 20, 9:50*am, nonamefornow wrote:
The subject line says it all. I do not have a lot of upper body
strength.

I have tried:
1- channel lock wrench
2- grip lock wrench
both wrenches at the same time in opposite directions
3- penetrating oil
4- WD-40
5- vinegar
6- CLR
7- heat (cigarette lighter)

Nothing has worked. I just tried to get the arm (from the wall) off
and I can't do that either (turned water off first).

Does it sound like I need hire a plumber? It could be that I just
don't have the strength but I must admit I have never had this
difficulty before.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Seems like an abnormal situation. Most shower head assemblies are
brass and usually can be removed with normal means and force. If you
suspect the parts are corroded firmly together as old galvanized might
be, then by all means summon pro help. It shouldn't be that long a job
so the tab should be reasonable. Inquire ahead, though, if there might
be a budget problem.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Your tools may be too short, it is amazing the ease that a longer (more
leverage) tool will have in disassembling plumbing parts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

As another poster said, maybe longer wrenches. My thought is
that you mention not having a lot of upper body strength.
Perhaps a nieghbor or friend can help out. Someone who's got
more biceps. Teenagers are often strong, but lack the wisdom
to be careful and do a good job.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"nonamefornow" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

You might try pushing in the wrong direction a bit to see if it moves
that way. Sometimes that helps.

And...

With electrical problems a lot of time it's just that the plug came
out of the wall and we forget to look. Happens to the best of us. With
that in mind, is it possible you're pushing in the wrong direction?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/20/2011 10:50 AM, nonamefornow wrote:
The subject line says it all. I do not have a lot of upper body
strength.

I have tried:
1- channel lock wrench
2- grip lock wrench
both wrenches at the same time in opposite directions
3- penetrating oil
4- WD-40
5- vinegar
6- CLR
7- heat (cigarette lighter)

Nothing has worked. I just tried to get the arm (from the wall) off
and I can't do that either (turned water off first).

Does it sound like I need hire a plumber? It could be that I just
don't have the strength but I must admit I have never had this
difficulty before.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

You may be tightening it.

--
LSmFT

Force ****s upon the back of Reason....
Ben Franklin-

#1: What size channel locks, these should have worked for you...

#2: Same as above, perhaps these tools were undersized for the
application you were trying to use them in...

#3: And how on earth were you able to soak the threaded stub
pipe connection located a few inches INSIDE the wall surface
with any oil to have any hope of actually loosening it ?

#4: See #3, sounds like all you were doing was making the
pipe more slippery and harder to remove...

#5: You aren't making a salad, what did you think 5%
acetic acid solution would do to loosen a threaded connection
you can not even see ?

#6: Well, if you dipped your shower head nozzle in CLR you
were at least following directions... I have never heard of using
such chemicals to loosen up a stuck threaded connection...

#7: ROFL... You think you applied any heat whatsoever to
the pipe beyond a tiny area where you had the cigarette lighter?
That is a good way to get burned, you need a MUCH larger
heat source to have any effect at all, ever see how BIG a
plumbing torch is?

As others here have said, you need to try turning it the
opposite direction... If that fails you need to find someone
stronger who will make the attempt under your supervision,
if the stronger person can not get it loose then it wasn't
going to be something you could have done yourself anyway
and you need to call in the hired professional at that point...

Good luck...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Force ****es [was; stuck shower head]

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 09:09:03 -0500, LSMFT wrote:

Force ****s upon the back of Reason....
Ben Franklin-

Here's my nit for the day. I've thought that quote didn't sound at
all like the Franklin I know- so I decided to go see where it really
came from this morning. Sometimes the context of misquotes is
amusing.

Turns out the 'young' Franklin, in 1736, did write;
"Force ****es upon Reason’s Back." in his Almanac. Just another
bumper sticker with no context. poop.

Jim