Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TSP & Diswashing powder

"HeyBub" wrote in message

The two soap dispensers on my dishwasher contain 5 tablespoons each of
diswashing powder.

Assuming 1 tbsp of TSP per load, the proper ratio then is 10:1

So you get a big mixing bowl, measure out the diswashing detergent and add
1/10th that amount of TSP. Mix thoroughly. Mix some more. Put the mixture
back in detergent container*.

If you are of the opinion that only 1 teaspoon of TSP is appropriate for a
load of dishes, then the dilution factor should be 30:1 (1 tablespoon = 3
teaspoons).

---------
* Cut an "X" in the top of the now-empty detergent box, using a funnel, pour
your mixture back in the box. Heal the "X" cut with duct tape.

==============

As well as water quality, dosage might depend on what brand you use. Some
products labeled "TSP" can be less than half that. Savogran's is like 80%,
might be ok except I don't know the safety the other stuff in it. Here's one
place to get the pure stuff: http://www.cqconcepts.com/chem_tsp.php

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nelly" wrote:

Savogran's is like 80%,
might be ok except I don't know the safety the other stuff in it.

Good point. Here's a link to the Material Safety Data Sheet:
http://www.savogran.com/Information/TSP_MS.pdf

Looks like only one other ingredient - Sodium Sesquicarbonate, which is a water
softener that enhances the detergent action. The MSDS is rather funny - can be
used as a food additive, diaper rinse and leather tanning product.

http://www.hillbrothers.com/msds/pdf...icarbonate.pdf

"It's a floor wax AND a dessert topping!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nelly wrote:

As well as water quality, dosage might depend on what brand you use.
Some products labeled "TSP" can be less than half that. Savogran's is
like 80%, might be ok except I don't know the safety the other stuff
in it. Here's one place to get the pure stuff:
http://www.cqconcepts.com/chem_tsp.php

Absolutely! I've got a spray bottle on my desk labeled "TSP - Ready To Use"
and, in fine print below: "Phosphate-free"!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 07:42:11 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Nelly wrote:

As well as water quality, dosage might depend on what brand you use.
Some products labeled "TSP" can be less than half that. Savogran's is
like 80%, might be ok except I don't know the safety the other stuff
in it. Here's one place to get the pure stuff:
http://www.cqconcepts.com/chem_tsp.php

Absolutely! I've got a spray bottle on my desk labeled "TSP - Ready To Use"
and, in fine print below: "Phosphate-free"!

Is the package marked "pTSP", or some silly marketeering nonsense? I bought
some "pTSP" some time back (all that was available in the area). The 'p'
meant "pseudo".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 7:42*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Nelly wrote:

As well as water quality, dosage might depend on what brand you use.
Some products labeled "TSP" can be less than half that. Savogran's is
like 80%, might be ok except I don't know the safety the other stuff
in it. Here's one place to get the pure stuff:
http://www.cqconcepts.com/chem_tsp.php

Absolutely! I've got a spray bottle on my desk labeled "TSP - Ready To Use"
and, in fine print below: "Phosphate-free"!

With all this talk of phosphates from TSP being harmful to the
environment, how about phosphates from lawn fertilizers. Is this the
next thing to be banned? On the other hand, no environmentalist have
been raising hell over this. The amount of phosphates from lawn
fertilizers must have been overwhelmingly greater than that coming
from dishwasher detergent before the ban in 2010. In addition,
phosphates from dishwashers are sent to a treatment plant. Lawn
fertilizers eventually leaches into the streams and lakes directly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edge wrote:
On Feb 20, 7:42 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Nelly wrote:

[...]

Looked at the fertilizer department recently? There are lots of phosphate free
fertilizers available. Phosphates in home fertilizers are a known part of the
problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 09:30:53 -0800 (PST), Edge wrote:

On Feb 20, 7:42*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Nelly wrote:

[...]

I've been trying to find triple-superphosphate for my lawn. The Cooperative
Extension here says my lawn is in dire need of it (10 lbs per 100oft^2 of
0-45-0). I tried to find it last year but I was a bit late, so couldn't even
order it. The lawn never really greened up (third year for Zoysia sod).
They also suggested 3lbs/1000ft^2 of nitrogen (34-0-0 equivalent) every two
months. Not sure I want to mow every other day, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 7:42 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Nelly wrote:

[...]

months. *Not sure I want to mow every other day, though.- Hide quoted text -

pro lanscapers likely have the ability to buy it.....

over time the publics ability to buy anything is being slowly
curtailed.

if that happens to be the high nitrogen fertilizer used to blow up the
murra federal building thats why its hard to impossible to buy