Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Battery acid

I have a flashlight that leaked battery acid. Is there any way to
dissolve this acid or just scrape it off as best I can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have a flashlight that leaked battery acid. Is there any way to
dissolve this acid or just scrape it off as best I can.

I use household ammonia, works good. Use in well ventilated area. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

First, flashlights seldom leak. Batteries have been known to
leak.

I've never seen (in person) an acid battery for flash
lights. Code Red used to make single use lead acid cells for
batteries, but I havn't seen them in ages. How did you get
an acid battery for flashlight?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
I have a flashlight that leaked battery acid. Is there any
way to
dissolve this acid or just scrape it off as best I can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You've had a leaky flashlight? You've had an acid battery
for a flashlight?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"WW" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
I have a flashlight that leaked battery acid. Is there any
way to
dissolve this acid or just scrape it off as best I can.

I use household ammonia, works good. Use in well ventilated
area. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 9:59*am, wrote:
I have a flashlight that leaked battery acid. Is there any way to
dissolve this acid or just scrape it off as best I can.

Small wire brush with baking soda and water.

Or just scrape it off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 6:59*am, wrote:
I have a flashlight that leaked battery acid. Is there any way to
dissolve this acid or just scrape it off as best I can.

Is the flashlight worth all that effort? Or is this one of those
"gotta see if I can do it" projects (that I often get involved in g)

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 10:29:49 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

First, flashlights seldom leak. Batteries have been known to
leak.

I've never seen (in person) an acid battery for flash
lights. Code Red used to make single use lead acid cells for
batteries, but I havn't seen them in ages. How did you get
an acid battery for flashlight?

I actually have a couple of rechargeable LED flashlights that use
starved electrolyte lead acid batteries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 07:46:34 -0800 (PST), Thomas
wrote:

On Feb 11, 9:59Â*am, wrote:
I have a flashlight that leaked battery acid. Is there any way to
dissolve this acid or just scrape it off as best I can.

Small wire brush with baking soda and water.

Or just scrape it off.

Most likely NOT acid, but Alkaline - in which case you could try
vinegar- - - - -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 8:39*am, "Pete C." wrote:
wrote:

I have a flashlight that leaked battery acid. Is there any way to
dissolve this acid or just scrape it off as best I can.

As others have noted, it is quite unlikely that you had an acid type
battery in a flashlight. In all probability the battery is an alkaline
chemistry, in which case a mild acid soak in vinegar may help.

Bingo....

if the battery was an alkaline type,
alkaline batteries are prone to leaking potassium hydroxide, a caustic
agent

netralize with vinegar

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Please contact Duracell. They have a leak guarantee, unless
the user or device recharges the batteries. Then, all
guarantees are off, I gather.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

My description was wrong the flashlight is a Maglite LED
three cell
with Duracell alkaline batteries. Thanks for all who replied
for your
help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

In article ,
says...
First, flashlights seldom leak. Batteries have been known to
leak.

I've never seen (in person) an acid battery for flash
lights. Code Red used to make single use lead acid cells for
batteries, but I havn't seen them in ages. How did you get
an acid battery for flashlight?

We used them a lot on research projects (NASA). The ones we used were X
cells, somewhat larger than D cells:

http://shopping.microbattery.com/s.nl/it.A/id.218/.f

--
DT

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vinegar is acidic. It contains acetic acid. It cannot
neutralize acid; it IS acid.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"willshak" wrote in message
m...

I had the same problem with a 3 D cell capacity Maglight. I
filled it
with white vinegar. You can see the bubbling as the vinegar
neutralizes
the acid.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, you know. The acidic alkaline leaks out of the
alkaline batteries, the battery acid gets all over the
place, from those alkaline batteries.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

I had the same problem with a 3 D cell capacity Maglight. I
filled it
with white vinegar. You can see the bubbling as the vinegar
neutralizes
the acid.

With alkaline batteries?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Feb 12, 2:09*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 02/12/2011 11:26 AM, wrote:

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 09:19:08 -0500, *wrote:

wrote the following:
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:51:43 -0500, *wrote:

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:59:16 -0500, wrote:

I have a flashlight that leaked battery acid. Is there any way to
dissolve this acid or just scrape it off as best I can.

mild solution of baking soda will dissolve it. you can also use
ammonia

My description was wrong the flashlight is a Maglite LED three cell
with Duracell alkaline batteries. Thanks for all who replied for your
help.

I had the same problem with a 3 D cell capacity Maglight. I filled it
with white vinegar. You can see the bubbling as the vinegar neutralizes
the base.

==
There, I corrected the posting...now are you all happy?
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

So, vinegar is an acid.

And, how would we describe the stuff inside the batteries?
Remember, the poster said "You can see the bubbling as the
vinegar neutralizes the acid." Clearly referring to the
corrosion.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nate Nagel"
wrote in message ...

I had the same problem with a 3 D cell capacity Maglight.
I filled it
with white vinegar. You can see the bubbling as the
vinegar neutralizes
the acid.

With alkaline batteries?

well, yes, because vinegar is an acid.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some people slept through school chemistry class, I see.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 16:09:25 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

I had the same problem with a 3 D cell capacity
Maglight. I filled it
with white vinegar. You can see the bubbling as the
vinegar neutralizes
the acid.

With alkaline batteries?

well, yes, because vinegar is an acid.

Now ask yourself, does "vinegar neutralizes the acid" make
any sense with
alkaline batteries? If you still don't see the silliness
here, does vinegar
really neutralize itself? Come on!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Whew. That was going to keep me awake all night. You da man!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Roy" wrote in message

My description was wrong the flashlight is a Maglite LED
three cell
with Duracell alkaline batteries. Thanks for all who
replied for your
help.

I had the same problem with a 3 D cell capacity Maglight.
I filled it
with white vinegar. You can see the bubbling as the
vinegar neutralizes
the base.

==
There, I corrected the posting...now are you all happy?
==

Posted to alt.home.repair

From my chemistry days, I remember that baking soda is VERY
mildly alkaline, but not enough to really call it an
alkalai. It does combine with acids, to release carbon
dioxide. Leaving the sodium salt of the acid.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Acid neutralized alkalies, and vice versa. Baking soda is
alkaline and
neutralizes battery acid. Alkaline batteries do NOT have
acid in them,
they have an alkaline electrolyte, which is neutralized by
an acid -
in this case white vinegar being a good choice.

Rinse well when finished.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 22:50:28 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

From my chemistry days, I remember that baking soda is VERY
mildly alkaline, but not enough to really call it an
alkalai. It does combine with acids, to release carbon
dioxide. Leaving the sodium salt of the acid.

Baking soda is properly called a "buffer". It will tend to maintain pH,
slightly alkaline.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 21:43:14 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

So, vinegar is an acid.

And, how would we describe the stuff inside the batteries?
Remember, the poster said "You can see the bubbling as the
vinegar neutralizes the acid." Clearly referring to the
corrosion.

When I hear alkaline, I think caustic.
Used to wash my hands with alkaline soap powder in the Navy.
Stings any nick as good as acid I suppose.
Never tried acid.
Still took me a minute to catch on here, because I always think acid
with batteries. Never messed with flashlight corrosion.
Just threw it away.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 22:50:28 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

From my chemistry days, I remember that baking soda is VERY
mildly alkaline, but not enough to really call it an
alkalai. It does combine with acids, to release carbon
dioxide. Leaving the sodium salt of the acid.

It is only a matter of degree. Anything has a pH. Higher than neutral
pH is Alkaline (or basic), anything with lower than neutral pH is
Acidic. Alkalies buffer acids, and acids buffer alkalies.
Neutral pH is 7.0.

Baking soda is pH 8.2 (+1.2)
Normal white vinegar is 5-10% Acetic Acid with a pH ranging from 2.4
to 3.4 (-4.6 to-3.6)

In the case of neutralizing battery leakage in a flashlight you do not
want something very agressively acidic - you want to gently neutralize
the chemical without attacking the metal of the flashlight - just like
when neutralizing battery acid you do not want to use a strong alkali
that could attack anything - but more importantly you do NOT want a
violent chemical reaction and it's associated heat.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Feb 13, 2:31*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 22:50:28 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
From my chemistry days, I remember that baking soda is VERY
[...]

Formic acid would be faster than vinegar as well but is more toxic but
not as dangerous as the really strong acids. They used to sell a
formic acid solution for cleaning evaporator plates and equipment. It
did a good job too. then the idiots changed the formula to an acetic
acid one and it wasn't worth buying. I guess the good one was too
hazardous for some people and especially around where children could
access it.

I remember the old batteries back in the forties...always leaking and
screwing up flashlights. Technology has come a long way and one rarely
has a problem with leakage anymore.
==

==
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
willshak wrote:

Yes, I made a mistake in saying vinegar neutralized the acid. I meant
the other way around.

No sweat. We knew you meant that the acid would neutralize the vinegar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Those silver "Neveready" with the picture of the black cat?
I remember those, and yes they did tend to corrode. Some
good tips have been posted, how to clean in the case of
leaky batteries.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus