Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Battery acid

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 16:09:25 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

On 02/12/2011 11:26 AM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 09:19:08 -0500, wrote:

wrote the following:
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:51:43 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:59:16 -0500,
wrote:

I have a flashlight that leaked battery acid. Is there any way to
dissolve this acid or just scrape it off as best I can.

mild solution of baking soda will dissolve it. you can also use
ammonia

My description was wrong the flashlight is a Maglite LED three cell
with Duracell alkaline batteries. Thanks for all who replied for your
help.

I had the same problem with a 3 D cell capacity Maglight. I filled it
with white vinegar. You can see the bubbling as the vinegar neutralizes
the acid.

With alkaline batteries?

well, yes, because vinegar is an acid.

nate

Acid neutralized alkalies, and vice versa. Baking soda is alkaline and
neutralizes battery acid. Alkaline batteries do NOT have acid in them,
they have an alkaline electrolyte, which is neutralized by an acid -
in this case white vinegar being a good choice.

Rinse well when finished.