Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drop ceiling options, sound insulation, etc.

I am finishing a basement level apartment in a 3-unit building and I need to
decide how to finish the ceiling. All of the plumbing, gas lines, etc. for
all 3 units are either between the ceiling joists or run across and are
attached to the ceiling joists. One option would be to sheetrock the
ceiling by adding sister joists to the existing joists and attaching the
sheetrock to the sister joists. The other option would be to install a drop
ceiling about 4 or 5 inches below the existing ceiling joists.

Although I don't really like the look of a drop ceiling, I am thinking that
a drop ceiling may be the best option. One reason is that I think that a
drop ceiling may provide a better sound barrier between the basement level
apartment and the first floor apartment. If I do a drop ceiling, I think
that 2'x2' panels would look best, but I don't know yet if they have any
special types or styles that would look better and less institutional.

Any ideas or suggestions regarding the drop ceiling idea would be
appreciated.

I am thinking of adding some type of insulation on top of the drop ceiling
panels as an additional sound barrier if that would help. Would the
insulation help with the sound and, if so, is there any type of insulation
that would be best for doing this and for sound reduction? Since the
bathroom would have high moisture and humidity, I assume that it would be
better to not use a drop ceiling there and to sheetrock that ceiling
instead.