Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Panasonic TX28DTS3C TV sound drop outs

Hi,

I have a Panasonic TX28DTS3C tv. I've had it for around 2 years now and
unfortuantly i've had this problem with it pretty much since it was
new. The problem is that every now and again I get the sound dropping
out. When it's doing it, the blips in the sound are for probably about
1/2 a second maybe, so usually you can still make out what someone is
saying when they're talking for example. Once it starts doing it, it
seems to continue to do it, sometimes (last night being one of them) it
happens once or twice every 10 seconds, other times it will go for
weeks without doing it.

The TV has an integrated digital terrestrial receiver, integrated
ditigal satellite receiver, analogue receiver, two scarts on the rear,
s-video/composite connections on the front. When the tv has the problem
it makes no difference on which of the above inputs is in use, you can
switch between all of them and the problem persists. I have verified
that it is indeed the tv and not any of the sources (such as dvd
player/vcr/media pc/ps2 etc.) by hooking the inputs that I would
usually connect up to the TV to a surround sound system. The output
from the surround system is fine for all external sources, yet once
they're plugged back into the TV the problem occurs again.

As i've said, sometimes the tv will work fine for weeks without any
problems yet when the problem does occur, it will happen lots. I have
not yet taken the back off the TV, but the only real thing I can think
of doing is checking for dry joints or something on the PCBs inside of
the tv as I have noticed that sometimes when the TV is moved it seems
to cause the problem to occur/stop occuring.

I have some fairly basic electronics manufacture and repair experience
so I am not too worried about trying to repair the fault myself (if
it's possible) i'm just not really sure where to begin.

Any help is greatly appreciated.