Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Drop ceiling options, sound insulation, etc.

On Feb 6, 11:01*pm, "RogerT" wrote:
I am finishing a basement level apartment in a 3-unit building and I need to
decide how to finish the ceiling. *All of the plumbing, gas lines, etc. for
all 3 units are either between the ceiling joists or run across and are
attached to the ceiling joists. * One option would be to sheetrock the
ceiling by adding sister joists to the existing joists and attaching the
sheetrock to the sister joists. *The other option would be to install a drop
ceiling about 4 or 5 inches below the existing ceiling joists.

Although I don't really like the look of a drop ceiling, I am thinking that
a drop ceiling may be the best option. *One reason is that I think that a
drop ceiling may provide a better sound barrier between the basement level
apartment and the first floor apartment. *If I do a drop ceiling, I think
that 2'x2' panels would look best, but I don't know yet if they have any
special types or styles that would look better and less institutional.

Any ideas or suggestions regarding the drop ceiling idea would be
appreciated.

I am thinking of adding some type of insulation on top of the drop ceiling
panels as an additional sound barrier if that would help. *Would the
insulation help with the sound and, if so, is there any type of insulation
that would be best for doing this and for sound reduction? *Since the
bathroom would have high moisture and humidity, I assume that it would be
better to not use a drop ceiling there and to sheetrock that ceiling
instead.

Umm... Yeah...

Drop ceiling in a rental unit... ROFL...

What will your local code/fire inspector say about that ?

All units must be separated by fire rated compartment walls/ceilings
adding a unit in the basement "because it is there" doesn't seem to
be a valid reason... It requires much more thought and a process
to make sure you have a legally rentable unit when you are finished...

Do you have building permits for this "work" ?

Is your property zoned for an additional unit ?

Is the finished ceiling clearance 7' or more to the surface of the
finished floor ?

Egress windows in each room and more than one door in/out of
the unit ?

Also, rock wool fire insulation will do miraculous wonders in sound
dampening... Much more sound proof than a drop in ceiling tile...

I would go back to the drawing board and make sure you will be able
to end up with a habitable space when you are done with your work...

~~ Evan