Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drop ceiling options, sound insulation, etc.

I am finishing a basement level apartment in a 3-unit building and I need to
decide how to finish the ceiling. All of the plumbing, gas lines, etc. for
all 3 units are either between the ceiling joists or run across and are
attached to the ceiling joists. One option would be to sheetrock the
ceiling by adding sister joists to the existing joists and attaching the
sheetrock to the sister joists. The other option would be to install a drop
ceiling about 4 or 5 inches below the existing ceiling joists.

Although I don't really like the look of a drop ceiling, I am thinking that
a drop ceiling may be the best option. One reason is that I think that a
drop ceiling may provide a better sound barrier between the basement level
apartment and the first floor apartment. If I do a drop ceiling, I think
that 2'x2' panels would look best, but I don't know yet if they have any
special types or styles that would look better and less institutional.

Any ideas or suggestions regarding the drop ceiling idea would be
appreciated.

I am thinking of adding some type of insulation on top of the drop ceiling
panels as an additional sound barrier if that would help. Would the
insulation help with the sound and, if so, is there any type of insulation
that would be best for doing this and for sound reduction? Since the
bathroom would have high moisture and humidity, I assume that it would be
better to not use a drop ceiling there and to sheetrock that ceiling
instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 10:01*pm, "RogerT" wrote:
[...]

I think you are smart for considering a dropped ceiling. We just built
a new home will a partially finished basement. Most of the basement
is sheet-rocked except the bath ceiling, When we planned the plumbing
routing it occurred to me that if we didn't sheet-rock the bath
ceiling, we would have access to all but two plumbing lines (one
outside hose bib and part of the gas line). All other plumbing is in
the unfinished area of the basement. I, like you, am not in love
with the appearance of a dropped ceiling but the increased
maintainability is well worth it.

Now I have to figure out how to hang the #%^@& thing! :^}

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 4:38*am, RonB wrote:
On Feb 6, 10:01*pm, "RogerT" wrote:

[...]

RonB- Hide quoted text -

They are usually held up with a lightwieght metal angle round the
perimeter and steel suspension wires in the middle. It's important to
get the tension in the wires correct.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RonB" wrote in message
On Feb 6, 10:01 pm, "RogerT" wrote:
I am finishing a basement level apartment in a 3-unit building and I need
decide how to finish the ceiling. ...

Although I don't really like the look of a drop ceiling, I am thinking
that
a drop ceiling may be the best option....

Any ideas or suggestions regarding the drop ceiling idea would be
appreciated.

I am thinking of adding some type of insulation on top of the drop ceiling
panels as an additional sound barrier if that would help....

I think you are smart for considering a dropped ceiling. We just built
a new home will a partially finished basement. Most of the basement
is sheet-rocked except the bath ceiling,

RonB

+++++++++++++

Thanks. Have you given thought to what type of drop ceiling tiles you will
be using in the bath ceiling? I am concerned about the tiles absorbing
moisture and humidity and the metal rails rusting over time. For that
reason, I am thinking of doing the opposite of what you did by using a drop
ceiling everywhere except the bath ceiling.

Also, I am looking into SAB's (Sound Absorbing Batts), but I have to see if
they sell them at Home Depot or Lowe's etc., and how much they cost.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would do a drop ceiling for long term access to pipes and wires.
If you really want drywall, they make a grid that looks very
similar to drop ceiling grid that is made for hanging drywall.
You hang the grid just like a drop ceiling, the pieces are just a
bit wider. It would be very easy to run long batt insulation on
the grid before drywalling.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"RogerT" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

They make vinyl faced gyp ceiling tile. It is used in most
commercial kitchens. There are also solid PVC ceiling tile in
many patterns.

You might like the look of Teglar tile in an accent colored grid.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"RogerT" wrote in message
"RonB" wrote in message
On Feb 6, 10:01 pm, "RogerT" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. I went to Home Depot today and I saw these Armstrong 1201 Prestige
2x2 ceiling tiles:
http://www.armstrong.com/resclgam/na...itemId=44650.0 .

They definitely look good to me -- at least not like typical ceiling tiles.
They are 2x2, but each 2x2 contains four 1x1 recessed square-pattern tiles.

The price was $8.68 per 2x2 tile, or $2.17 per square foot. And, the tiles
seem solid so they won't sag etc.

I think I am probably going to go with these tiles and the whole plan of
using a drop ceiling throughout.

"RogerT" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 11:01*pm, "RogerT" wrote:
[...]

Umm... Yeah...

Drop ceiling in a rental unit... ROFL...

What will your local code/fire inspector say about that ?

All units must be separated by fire rated compartment walls/ceilings
adding a unit in the basement "because it is there" doesn't seem to
be a valid reason... It requires much more thought and a process
to make sure you have a legally rentable unit when you are finished...

Do you have building permits for this "work" ?

Is your property zoned for an additional unit ?

Is the finished ceiling clearance 7' or more to the surface of the
finished floor ?

Egress windows in each room and more than one door in/out of
the unit ?

Also, rock wool fire insulation will do miraculous wonders in sound
dampening... Much more sound proof than a drop in ceiling tile...

I would go back to the drawing board and make sure you will be able
to end up with a habitable space when you are done with your work...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

Evan wrote:
On Feb 6, 11:01 pm, "RogerT" wrote:
[...]

I probably shouldn't even bother responding given the baseless assumptions,
attitude, and tone of your post, -- but I will.

This is an existing, fully approved, annually inspected, basement level
apartment that is being completely redone. The before-rehab version of this
unit had a low drop ceiling and an older drop ceiling above that and open
ceiling joists above that, and the second means of egress was an approved
egress window of the correct dimensions and correct distance above the floor
etc. We did a complete tear-out of the old unit down to the bare walls and
ceiling joists, then raised all of the gas pipes and plumbing in the ceiling
to be able to create an 8-foot-plus ceiling in the new unit. The second
means of egress was relocated to a better location and is now a 32"x80" door
instead of the former approved egress window. I could go on, -- but I
won't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 3:32*pm, "RogerT" wrote:
Evan wrote:
On Feb 6, 11:01 pm, "RogerT" wrote:
[...]

Right...

Your question was not of a caliber one would expect from someone
who does construction in the proper manner...

Since you know so much, then how to you get the proper fire rating
on the ceiling ? SHEETROCK, not a drop ceiling...

Sounds like you do need that inspector double checking on you...

Your other question about how to sheetrock over old walls that
were formerly lath and plaster is a winner too -- you have to fir
out the studs by cutting and fitting pieces of wood to make the
surface as level as it can be...

But then again, by your claimed experiences you would already
know that and not have to ask...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

RogerT wrote:
I am finishing a basement level apartment in a 3-unit building and I
need to decide how to finish the ceiling. All of the plumbing, gas
lines, etc. for all 3 units are either between the ceiling joists or
run across and are attached to the ceiling joists.. . . .

I just learned about another option called a "Chicago Grid"(?) on another
forum. It's a metal frame system like a drop ceiling metal frame (only
stronger), and the sheetrock gets screwed onto the framing from underneath,
and then the seams are taped.

Here is a link to the company that makes the metal grid system:

http://products.construction.com/man...rid-nst32093-p .