Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Car tires blowing from snow load

We just got something like 7 feet of snow and the drifts are up to 25
feet. I was wondering what all the banging and popping sounds were
until I figured out it was car tires blowing out from the weight of
the snow on top of the cars. There's a large parking lot nearby and
all I've been hearing are tires blowing. Some of the louder sounds
have been buildings collapsing and I can see several homes and
businesses gone in the piles of snow. It looks like the tire companies
are going to be real busy in the next few weeks.

If your tires have not yet blown, shovel off your cars. That's if you
can even get to them safely. But dont risk your life for a set of
tires. Besides it could already be too late. It's likely that your
car windshield and/or the roof of the car may also collapse or burst,
and it may already be too late, particularly if the tires are blown.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 07:10:47 -0600, wrote:

We just got something like 7 feet of snow and the drifts are up to 25
feet. I was wondering what all the banging and popping sounds were
until I figured out it was car tires blowing out from the weight of
the snow on top of the cars. There's a large parking lot nearby and

When I had 12 inches of snow on my car last year, I worried that my
top, which already had some small rips, would rip through and leave a
big hole in the top for the snow and rain.

Didn't seem to be anywhere near ripping. Didnt' seem to have more
stress on it than it has normally when raised and latched and thus
stretched.

That's why I knew you were funnin' me before I got to what follows
this, which I'm just reading now. The weight of the snow is a lot
more than the weight of air, but it's small compared to the weight of
your car or the 2 people who aren't sitting in it.

all I've been hearing are tires blowing. Some of the louder sounds
have been buildings collapsing and I can see several homes and
businesses gone in the piles of snow. It looks like the tire companies
are going to be real busy in the next few weeks.

If your tires have not yet blown, shovel off your cars. That's if you
can even get to them safely. But dont risk your life for a set of
tires. Besides it could already be too late. It's likely that your
car windshield and/or the roof of the car may also collapse or burst,
and it may already be too late, particularly if the tires are blown.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-02-02, George wrote:
On 2/2/2011 8:17 AM, Han wrote:

Where are you?

My guess would be under a bridge...

LOL!

(took a sec, but...)

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"George" wrote
If your tires have not yet blown, shovel off your cars. That's if you
can even get to them safely. But dont risk your life for a set of
tires. Besides it could already be too late. It's likely that your
car windshield and/or the roof of the car may also collapse or burst,
and it may already be too late, particularly if the tires are blown.

Where are you?

My guess would be under a bridge...

Of course he is. Protects the car from getting a pile of snow on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 09:56:52 -0500, mm
wrote Re Car tires blowing from snow load:

When I had 12 inches of snow on my car last year, I worried that my
top, which already had some small rips, would rip through and leave a
big hole in the top for the snow and rain.

Didn't seem to be anywhere near ripping. Didnt' seem to have more
stress on it than it has normally when raised and latched and thus
stretched.

That's why I knew you were funnin' me before I got to what follows
this, which I'm just reading now. The weight of the snow is a lot
more than the weight of air, but it's small compared to the weight of
your car or the 2 people who aren't sitting in it.

Indeed. Snow weighs about 15 lbs/cuft. So then, 12" of snow on a car
that has a footprint of 6'x12' would have 6x12x15 = 1080 lbs on it.
That's about 5 fat people. That doesn't seem like tire-popping weight
to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 10:35:28 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

?
"George" wrote
If your tires have not yet blown, shovel off your cars. That's if you
can even get to them safely. But dont risk your life for a set of
tires. Besides it could already be too late. It's likely that your
car windshield and/or the roof of the car may also collapse or burst,
and it may already be too late, particularly if the tires are blown.

Where are you?

My guess would be under a bridge...

Of course he is. Protects the car from getting a pile of snow on it.

I think that's WHY trolls iive under bridges. If they get wet with
snow or rain, they shrivel up like a snail with salt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 11:06*am, Caesar Romano wrote:
Indeed. *Snow weighs about 15 lbs/cuft. So then, 12" of snow on a car
that has a footprint of 6'x12' would have 6x12x15 = 1080 lbs on it.
That's about 5 fat people. *That doesn't seem like tire-popping weight
to me.

But the OP said he got SEVEN FEET of snow.
7x1080 = 7560 lbs of snow on top of the car.

That's definitely tire-popping weight.

I wonder if this guy is trying to get on mythbusters...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 4:06*pm, Caesar Romano wrote:
[...]

15lbs uncompressed. A lot more when the snow piles up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

YOUR FULL OF ****, NOW GO TO SCHOOL !

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to alt.home.repair

What about my full of ****? Can't you write complete
sentences?

Your full of **** is...... (now, finish the setence for the
class.)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jerry - OHIO" wrote in message
YOUR FULL OF ****, NOW GO TO SCHOOL !

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:

smoke another, needledick.

I see you've read "Eats, Shoots & Leaves."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2011 9:52 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In article5c6dnYdXX43zSNTQnZ2dnUVZ_oednZ2d@giganews. com,
Steve wrote:

smoke another, needledick.

I see you've read "Eats, Shoots& Leaves."

nope, missed that one. Is it next to "attack of the killer tomatoes" ?

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
We just got something like 7 feet of snow and the drifts are up to 25
feet. I was wondering what all the banging and popping sounds were
until I figured out it was car tires blowing out from the weight of
the snow on top of the cars. There's a large parking lot nearby and
all I've been hearing are tires blowing. Some of the louder sounds
have been buildings collapsing and I can see several homes and
businesses gone in the piles of snow. It looks like the tire companies
are going to be real busy in the next few weeks.

If your tires have not yet blown, shovel off your cars. That's if you
can even get to them safely. But dont risk your life for a set of
tires. Besides it could already be too late. It's likely that your
car windshield and/or the roof of the car may also collapse or burst,
and it may already be too late, particularly if the tires are blown.

Heavy, wet, snow weighs about 20# per cubic foot. Assuming your car is 8'
wide and 16' long, one foot of heavy snow would be almost 2,600 pounds.

That would be an additional 650# per tire.

We had one building collapse in MN - a flat roof hardware store. A news
station talked to a structural engineer. The design roof load for snow
is 35 psf in Minneapolis. He said that is about 6 feet of snow. (The
design load is higher further north.)

The hardware store collapse made it on the national news. Multiple
building collapse plus many car tires is a much bigger news story.
Anyone seen it? Was anyone hurt in the multiple collapses where the
building is "gone"? Where did the OP say this happened?

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-02-02, George wrote:
On 2/2/2011 8:17 AM, Han wrote:

Where are you?

My guess would be under a bridge...

LOL!

Ditto!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:

smoke another, needledick.

I see you've read "Eats, Shoots& Leaves."

nope, missed that one. Is it next to "attack of the killer tomatoes"
?

No, it's a small volume on misplaced commas and apostrophe's. Quite
hilarious, really. The author makes the point that:

"Eats, shoots & leaves"

is way different from

"Eats shoots and leaves"

or even

"Eats, shoots, and leaves"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Where are you?

My guess would be under a bridge...

Of course he is. Protects the car from getting a pile of snow on it.

http://www.funnyhype.com/files/funny...in-a-truck.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:

smoke another, needledick.

I see you've read "Eats, Shoots& Leaves."

nope, missed that one. Is it next to "attack of the killer tomatoes"
?

No, it's a small volume on misplaced commas and apostrophe's. Quite
hilarious, really. The author makes the point that:

"Eats, shoots & leaves"

is way different from

"Eats shoots and leaves"

or even

"Eats, shoots, and leaves"

Not to worry. The misplaced apostrophe in my previous post conforms to the
"Law of Conservation of Apostrophes", that is, for every apostrophe used
properly, there is another that is not.