Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Car tires blowing from snow load

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 07:10:47 -0600, wrote:

We just got something like 7 feet of snow and the drifts are up to 25
feet. I was wondering what all the banging and popping sounds were
until I figured out it was car tires blowing out from the weight of
the snow on top of the cars. There's a large parking lot nearby and

When I had 12 inches of snow on my car last year, I worried that my
top, which already had some small rips, would rip through and leave a
big hole in the top for the snow and rain.

Didn't seem to be anywhere near ripping. Didnt' seem to have more
stress on it than it has normally when raised and latched and thus
stretched.

That's why I knew you were funnin' me before I got to what follows
this, which I'm just reading now. The weight of the snow is a lot
more than the weight of air, but it's small compared to the weight of
your car or the 2 people who aren't sitting in it.

all I've been hearing are tires blowing. Some of the louder sounds
have been buildings collapsing and I can see several homes and
businesses gone in the piles of snow. It looks like the tire companies
are going to be real busy in the next few weeks.

If your tires have not yet blown, shovel off your cars. That's if you
can even get to them safely. But dont risk your life for a set of
tires. Besides it could already be too late. It's likely that your
car windshield and/or the roof of the car may also collapse or burst,
and it may already be too late, particularly if the tires are blown.