Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Car tires blowing from snow load

On Feb 2, 4:06*pm, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 09:56:52 -0500, mm
wrote Re Car tires blowing from snow load:

When I had 12 inches of snow on my car last year, I worried that my
top, which already had some small rips, would rip through and leave a
big hole in the top for the snow and rain.

Didn't seem to be anywhere near ripping. Didnt' seem to have more
stress on it than it has normally when raised and latched and thus
stretched.

That's why I knew you were funnin' me before I got to what follows
this, which I'm just reading now. *The weight of the snow is a lot
more than the weight of air, but it's small compared to the weight of
your car or the 2 people who aren't sitting in it.

Indeed. *Snow weighs about 15 lbs/cuft. So then, 12" of snow on a car
that has a footprint of 6'x12' would have 6x12x15 = 1080 lbs on it.
That's about 5 fat people. *That doesn't seem like tire-popping weight
to me.

15lbs uncompressed. A lot more when the snow piles up.