Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Helping hand

Several years ago while needing a hand holding up the rear of the
transmission on my van I grabbed a scissors jack out of my wife's car
and it worked great. Since then I have used it many times and even
made some little adapters to make it round object better. When she
traded the car I kept her jack. Just finished using it to hold a
garbage disposal in place while I tightened the retaining ring....This
would be no great feat except I have pulled a muscle in my back and
have been having muscle spasms for about 4 days. Plumber bill would
have been about $100USD for maybe 20 minutes worth of work. Dont think
the plumber could have done it any easier than this .

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

Several years ago while needing a hand holding up the rear of the
transmission on my van I grabbed a scissors jack out of my wife's car
and it worked great. Since then I have used it many times and even
made some little adapters to make it round object better. When she
traded the car I kept her jack. Just finished using it to hold a
garbage disposal in place while I tightened the retaining ring....

Also very helpful for repairs to a deck in situ, including
replacement of pillars and joists.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've also used scissor jacks for assorted things. Most
recently, to hold a glass door on front of a merchandiser,
while I screwed the hinges on.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
Several years ago while needing a hand holding up the rear of the
transmission on my van I grabbed a scissors jack out of my wife's car
and it worked great. Since then I have used it many times and even
made some little adapters to make it round object better. When she
traded the car I kept her jack. Just finished using it to hold a
garbage disposal in place while I tightened the retaining ring....This
would be no great feat except I have pulled a muscle in my back and
have been having muscle spasms for about 4 days. Plumber bill would
have been about $100USD for maybe 20 minutes worth of work. Dont think
the plumber could have done it any easier than this .

Jimmie

A come along is also a handy tool. Some are called rope hoists and
are much handier for some things.
I have a motorcycle jack but haven't found much use for it except
lifting my motorcycle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2011 7:39 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

Good thing you found a use for scissor jacks- they aren't much use for
lifting a car, IMHO. I used to own a couple of cheap floor jacks, but
somehow in multiple moves by me and my family (while I was stuck in an
apartment), they seem to have vanished. I probably oughta buy at least
one of the HF ones, one of these days, even though I haven't jacked a
car in probably ten years at this point. (I drive a lot less, and buy
decent tires now, and can usually pump them up long enough to get them
to the tire store.)

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2011 1:35 PM, JIMMIE wrote:
Several years ago while needing a hand holding up the rear of the
transmission on my van I grabbed a scissors jack out of my wife's car
and it worked great. Since then I have used it many times and even
made some little adapters to make it round object better. When she
traded the car I kept her jack. Just finished using it to hold a
garbage disposal in place while I tightened the retaining ring....This
would be no great feat except I have pulled a muscle in my back and
have been having muscle spasms for about 4 days. Plumber bill would
have been about $100USD for maybe 20 minutes worth of work. Dont think
the plumber could have done it any easier than this .

Jimmie

Years ago, I installed and services store fronts and automatic doors,
gates, access systems, etc and the handiest tool I had for that kind
of work was a 4 ton hydraulic ram auto body kit. It was 25 years ago
but the design doesn't seem to have changed much.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6297et5

I could square up metal frames and raise whole assemblies to level
them. You would be amazed at all the different uses I found for it.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

I use a floor jack fairly regularly, and it's darn hard to find a good
one. I currently have an ancient Sears brand one that has outlasted
every new jack a friend of mine has bought over the years, but I don't
trust that the quality is there in the Sears ones anymore. They're
probably just brand-engineered Chinese stuff these days. Even the
"Michelin" branded ones that look nice in the store have failed for my
friend in only a couple years. Granted he uses them a LOT (works on
old cars as a hobby) but still.

I would recommend Lincoln but I have heard that even they are Chinese
made now

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Feb 2, 11:05*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
[...]

generic name (and I ASSume the brand name of the original tool) is
Porta-Power.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

I use them quite often also. I have a couple of the cheap $20-$25 ones
that have lasted a long time but they always suck because the handle is
under the car and hard to pump. I bought a new one where the handle can
be swiveled almost any direction. Works nice for a little jack. I got
a larger jack at HF that works well. It's bigger, more stable and the
handle sticks out where it's easily pumped.

What was to be my best jack, an aluminum racing jack. It has a two
stage pump. With no weight on it 2 pumps take it almost to the top.
Under a car the first pump usually takes it to the frame, then the
action goes to the smaller pump for more power. I loved this thing!
Then while tightening the valve one day it striped out of the aluminum
body. :-( One of these days I'd like to take it apart and install a
heli core or similar. Or maybe take it to the local tech school where I
go and drop it off in the machine shop class. It's kind of a bitch to
tap the hole larger without getting filings into the pump, and I think
the tap would bottom out before it does it's job so it has to be taken
all apart. Hmm, I just had a thought if the tap is too long. I could
tap it some, cut off the end of the tap and go further, maybe again?
Rinse with lots of oil. Any thoughts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2011 7:42 AM, N8N wrote:
On Feb 2, 11:05 pm, The Daring
wrote:
[...]

Well, it was an Asian made import like what Harbor Freight sells. I
couldn't afford the domestically produced item but it was a whole
kit of items based around a "Porta-Power" like system. :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote:
What was to be my best jack, an aluminum racing jack. It has a two
stage pump. With no weight on it 2 pumps take it almost to the top.
Under a car the first pump usually takes it to the frame, then the
action goes to the smaller pump for more power. I loved this thing!
Then while tightening the valve one day it striped out of the aluminum
body. :-( One of these days I'd like to take it apart and install a
heli core or similar. Or maybe take it to the local tech school
where I go and drop it off in the machine shop class. It's kind of a
bitch to tap the hole larger without getting filings into the pump,
and I think the tap would bottom out before it does it's job so it
has to be taken all apart. Hmm, I just had a thought if the tap is
too long. I could tap it some, cut off the end of the tap and go
further, maybe again? Rinse with lots of oil. Any thoughts?

use a bottoming tap.

http://www.toolingu.com/definition-1...oming-tap.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Feb 3, 10:46*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 2/3/2011 7:42 AM, N8N wrote:

On Feb 2, 11:05 pm, The Daring
wrote:
[...]

I got that, my friend has the same thing I think, I was just pointing
out the common name for it, kind of like "Kleins," "Vice-Grips" or
"Channellocks" (which may be made by any number of mfgrs.)

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2011 10:05 AM, N8N wrote:
On Feb 3, 10:46 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 2/3/2011 7:42 AM, N8N wrote:

On Feb 2, 11:05 pm, The Daring
wrote:
[...]

Kleins, electrician's pliers, I often call them a double handled
electricians hammer. Ideal makes a very good one. Vice Grip was
about the only manufacturer of the ubiquitous locking pliers for
many years. When I ask someone if they have any water pump pliers,
I get blank stares until I tell them Channellock is one brand. If
I ask for tongue-and-groove or slip-joint pliers, they start drooling.
:-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Helicoils are good. I've got some, or had some,
in 5/16-18. Being HF, you can probably buy a
replacement easier than doing repairs.

Brake cleaner is good for rinsing out shavings.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message

Then while tightening the valve one day it striped out of
the aluminum
body. :-( One of these days I'd like to take it apart and
install a
heli core or similar. Or maybe take it to the local tech
school where I
go and drop it off in the machine shop class. It's kind of
a bitch to
tap the hole larger without getting filings into the pump,
and I think
the tap would bottom out before it does it's job so it has
to be taken
all apart. Hmm, I just had a thought if the tap is too
long. I could
tap it some, cut off the end of the tap and go further,
maybe again?
Rinse with lots of oil. Any thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2011 10:53 AM, chaniarts wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:
[...]

Thanks! I think I'll finally look for the right helicoil, or are there
some other kits that work better? I remember seeing one that was
supposed to be superior to helicoils but I forget what it was called?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 2:35*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
Several years ago *while needing a hand holding up the rear of the
transmission on my van I grabbed a scissors jack out of my wife's car
and it worked great. Since then I have used it many times and even
made some little adapters to make it round object better. When she
traded the car I kept her jack. Just finished using it to hold a
garbage disposal in place while I tightened the retaining ring....This
would be no great feat except I have pulled a muscle in my back and
have been having muscle spasms for about 4 days. Plumber bill would
have been about $100USD for maybe 20 minutes worth of work. Dont think
the plumber could have done it any easier than this .

Jimmie

A friend of mine was installing a heavy rangehood/light over his range
on an island. He invited me and another friend over to help him lift
it up so one of us could bolt it in place. After showing up and seeing
how big and akward the task was going to be, I told him we should lay
a couple 2/2's on the counter to bridge his range and then use his
hydraulic motorcycle jack to lift it up and hold it in place. We did
that and it worked like a charm. Using that lift made it a one-man
job, not 3.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Tony Miklos wrote:
[...]

Time-Sert perhaps? they're spendy.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote:
[...]

I think there is another one similar to time-sert but not sure. Just
watched a video and I'm not sure if it would work properly in this
application. The last 3 threads have to make the hole 3 threads longer
than original. The hole being repaired is the valve you loosen to lower
the jack. Yikes! they are pricey, but so are the helicoils.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:iic1s6
:

I've also used scissor jacks for assorted things. Most
recently, to hold a glass door on front of a merchandiser,
while I screwed the hinges on.

Used one to get a stuck septic cap off.

Bridged a pipe across the hole. Cinderblock under one end of pipe, sissor
jack under the other end. Chain to metal ring on cap. Few cranks of jack &
pop!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like it worked, for you. I'll remember that
for someday when I need that wisdom. I've also
seen a man use a floor jack inside a 55 gal barrel.
He'd just backed his truck over, and the barrel
was a bit flattened. So, he slipped the floor jack
into the barrel, pumped the handle and the barrel
went from flat to round again.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus