Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Helping hand

On 2/2/2011 7:39 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
Several years ago while needing a hand holding up the rear of the
transmission on my van I grabbed a scissors jack out of my wife's car
and it worked great. Since then I have used it many times and even
made some little adapters to make it round object better. When she
traded the car I kept her jack. Just finished using it to hold a
garbage disposal in place while I tightened the retaining ring....This
would be no great feat except I have pulled a muscle in my back and
have been having muscle spasms for about 4 days. Plumber bill would
have been about $100USD for maybe 20 minutes worth of work. Dont think
the plumber could have done it any easier than this .

Jimmie

A come along is also a handy tool. Some are called rope hoists and are
much handier for some things.
I have a motorcycle jack but haven't found much use for it except
lifting my motorcycle.

Good thing you found a use for scissor jacks- they aren't much use for
lifting a car, IMHO. I used to own a couple of cheap floor jacks, but
somehow in multiple moves by me and my family (while I was stuck in an
apartment), they seem to have vanished. I probably oughta buy at least
one of the HF ones, one of these days, even though I haven't jacked a
car in probably ten years at this point. (I drive a lot less, and buy
decent tires now, and can usually pump them up long enough to get them
to the tire store.)

--
aem sends...