Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Asbestos tile in basement

I have the 9x9" asbestos tile in my basement, and I wonder if it would
be ok to just remove the loose tiles, and then glue linoleum on top of
them? Also smooth out the removed tiles with floor cement compound.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2011 12:02 PM, woods wrote:
I have the 9x9" asbestos tile in my basement, and I wonder if it would
be ok to just remove the loose tiles, and then glue linoleum on top of
them? Also smooth out the removed tiles with floor cement compound.

I can't give construction specifics but as far as asbestos exposure, it
is OK. I'd be more concerned about filling voids with cement that may
sag. The asbestos is not going any where.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"woods" wrote in message
I have the 9x9" asbestos tile in my basement, and I wonder if it would
be ok to just remove the loose tiles, and then glue linoleum on top of
them? Also smooth out the removed tiles with floor cement compound.

Why not glue the loose tiles down before covering them? No need for extra
work with filler.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 12:21*pm, Frank wrote:
On 1/31/2011 12:02 PM, woods wrote:

I have the 9x9" asbestos tile in my basement, and I wonder if it would
be ok to just remove the loose tiles, and then glue linoleum on top of
them? *Also smooth out the removed tiles with floor cement compound.

I can't give construction specifics but as far as asbestos exposure, it
is OK. *I'd be more concerned about filling voids with cement that may
sag. *The asbestos is not going any where.

It's OK for the OP to be exposed to asbestos? How do you feel about
him wearing seat belts? Is that unnecessary as well? Sheesh.

OP: Asbestos is only a problem when the fibers get airborne, which
they do quite readily. It's your home and your health, and
technically you're supposed to call to have the guys in the moon suits
in to do it, but that's overkill for floor tile in my opinion.

I can't tell you what you should do, but I would definitely suit up,
wear a N95 dust mask or respirator, and wet everything down prior to
starting. If I saw any dust at all I'd know I haven't wet things down
enough, and I'd have plenty of lighting so I'd be sure to notice the
dust. I'd use plastic and tape off the area, tape doors closed, and
have one window in the basement open with a fan blowing out. That
would create negative air pressure in the work space, and any minor
amount of dust that did manage to get airborne wouldn't escape into
the rest of the house.

I'd put everything in a doubled up contractor trash bags inside a
trash can with some newspaper on the bottom to prevent the corners of
the tile from cutting through the bags, and I wouldn't let the trash
can get too heavy. I'd spray down the stuff inside the bag just
before tying it up - can you tell I think wetting the stuff down is
the critical step, yet? I'd move slowly when tying up the bags as
squeezing them quickly tends to puff out some air, and that could
carry dust. And I'd pass the bags out through another basement window
so I wouldn't be traipsing through the house with the stuff. I'd work
in smaller sections where I could keep the tile and everything else
wet without drenching the basement, and I'd pick up the wet slurry
with a wet dry vacuum with a HEPA filter that I'd be prepared to toss
when I'm done (the filter, not the vacuum!). I wouldn't be sucking up
standing puddles, but more like wet slurry to prevent clogging the
vaccum filter.

At the end of everything it should be wiped down with wet rags and
they would be tossed in the trash when done. I wouldn't want to be
going back and forth from a bucket of water, wringing out the rags
like I'd normally do when wiping things down, as that would inevitably
leave some asbestos fibers behind.

I think you get the idea of how I'd go about it - I'd be fastidious
about it. You're only going to do it once, and no matter how you look
at it it's going to take a full day to do it safely, and it's no big
deal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

woods wrote:

I have the 9x9" asbestos tile in my basement, and I wonder if it would
be ok to just remove the loose tiles, and then glue linoleum on top of
them? Also smooth out the removed tiles with floor cement compound.

If a few of the tiles have come loose, then the rest are about ready to
let go. I just finished a job like this. The tiles that weren't yet
loose came up mostly whole using only a steel prybar.

Check a few more tiles. You might have only a 15-minute job getting rid
of the whole mess.

--
Steve B
New Life Home Improvement

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:09:43 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

On Jan 31, 12:21Â*pm, Frank wrote:
On 1/31/2011 12:02 PM, woods wrote:

I have the 9x9" asbestos tile in my basement, and I wonder if it would
be ok to just remove the loose tiles, and then glue linoleum on top of
them? Â*Also smooth out the removed tiles with floor cement compound.

I can't give construction specifics but as far as asbestos exposure, it
is OK. Â*I'd be more concerned about filling voids with cement that may
sag. Â*The asbestos is not going any where.

It's OK for the OP to be exposed to asbestos? How do you feel about
him wearing seat belts? Is that unnecessary as well? Sheesh.

If he does not break opr remove the tiles he will NOT be "exposed" to
asbestos. He is best to just reglue the loose ones and cover it up
with a solid vinyl floor covering.

OP: Asbestos is only a problem when the fibers get airborne, which
they do quite readily. It's your home and your health, and
technically you're supposed to call to have the guys in the moon suits
in to do it, but that's overkill for floor tile in my opinion.

It is a vinyl asbestos tile, with the asbestos encapsulated very well.
As long as it is not broken up/removed there will be NO fibres loose -
and even if removing the tile, unless you need to break them up badly,
very little exposure.

The following recomendations are likely gross overkill, but would
definitely be a safe way to go about removing the tile

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jan 31, 12:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

That's right. Asbestos is encapsulated. If dust is generated, you
should wear a dust mask no matter what the dust is.

The general public thinks the asbestos is going to jump out at you
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote in
:

wrote:

On Jan 31, 12:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

Yea, like we all did changing all those brake shoes when we were younger
:-)

The general public thinks the asbestos is going to jump out at you

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:24:32 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Frank wrote in
:

wrote:

On Jan 31, 12:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

I usually washed the dust down the drain, at least after the first 2
years (was a mechanic since 1969)

The general public thinks the asbestos is going to jump out at you

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:16:30 -0600, "Steve B"
wrote:

woods wrote:

I have the 9x9" asbestos tile in my basement, and I wonder if it would
be ok to just remove the loose tiles, and then glue linoleum on top of
them? Also smooth out the removed tiles with floor cement compound.

If a few of the tiles have come loose, then the rest are about ready to
let go. I just finished a job like this. The tiles that weren't yet
loose came up mostly whole using only a steel prybar.

Check a few more tiles. You might have only a 15-minute job getting rid
of the whole mess.

The above is exactly how one gets exposed to asbestos. Do not disturb
them. Just cover them. That's the safe best way to handle them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2011 3:24 PM, Red Green wrote:
wrote in
:

wrote:

On Jan 31, 12:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

In my experience most problems with chemical exposure are with the
general public or small shops or businesses not covered by OSHA.
But, I did know of a guy that worked in a big company that knew all the
hazards of asbestos and thought he could get away from a dust mask by
doing his asbestos cutting outside and developed a touch of asbestosis.
A simple dust mask would have prevented his problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

And take it all to a superfund site, to have it destroyed?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

Or, by working only on windy days.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frank"
wrote in message

In my experience most problems with chemical exposure are
with the
general public or small shops or businesses not covered by
OSHA.
But, I did know of a guy that worked in a big company that
knew all the
hazards of asbestos and thought he could get away from a
dust mask by
doing his asbestos cutting outside and developed a touch of
asbestosis.
A simple dust mask would have prevented his problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some future home buyer is likely to demand asbestos search.
The ceiling tiles will be found, and then terribly expensive
to get them abated, remediated, flagellated, and so on. EPA
authorized guys in moon suits and expensive certified trash
bags. Better to be rid of this, and soon.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

The above is exactly how one gets exposed to asbestos. Do
not disturb
them. Just cover them. That's the safe best way to handle
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Guys who change brake shoes, and breathe
asbestos; it affects their viseirojwen.

--
Coruewrn A. Yrueporj
Lrner esior enre snerlkenr

"Red Green" wrote in message

That's right. Asbestos is encapsulated. If dust is
generated, you
should wear a dust mask no matter what the dust is.

Yea, like we all did changing all those brake shoes when we
were younger
:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:31:37 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Some future home buyer is likely to demand asbestos search.
The ceiling tiles will be found, and then terribly expensive
to get them abated, remediated, flagellated, and so on. EPA
authorized guys in moon suits and expensive certified trash
bags. Better to be rid of this, and soon.

You're an expert on this? .....So according to your logic a house
with asbestos shingles or tiles can't be sold?

Leaving asbestos in place is commonly done by experts in the field.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
wrote in
:

wrote:

On Jan 31, 12:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

Yea, changing brake shoes and blowing out the drum and brake parts.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote in :

Red Green wrote:
wrote in
:

On 1/31/2011 1:31 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:09:43 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

On Jan 31, 12:21 pm,
wrote:
[...]

...with a cigarette hangin' out of the mouth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 6:46*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

And take it all to a superfund site, to have it destroyed?

Maybe I should have put a smiley...?

BTW, you top-posting maroon - you do know that it makes it impossible
to complete a joke when you top post. You're like the idjit that
spits out the punch line when other people haven't heard the joke yet.

Oh, sorry. Almost forgot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
wrote
You seem extremely phobic about this, and rightfully so. No one
should spend their lives living in fear. However I can help. Right
after reading this message, I formed an asbestos abatement company. I
will remove your tiles at the very reasonable cost of $50 per square
foot of tiled floor, plus the cost of materials and plane fare and/or
other transportation to and from the job.

Just think how much better you'll sleep at night knowing these tiles
are gone, and no longer poisoning your home.
Frank

President of: Franks Asbestos Abatement Service

Don't listen to Frank, he'd taking advantage of a crisis. I, on the other
hand, can help you get rid of that phobia and live in harmony with the
tiles. In only a few months time, I'll coach you to live life to the
fullest and have no fears. Don't fall for some abatement company scam when
for a low weekly payment of $59,99, you can have true peace in your life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

?
[...]

You're hawking skills need crisping up Ed. It's "Low EASY payment..."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 23:13:44 -0600, wrote:

wrote:

woods wrote:

I have the 9x9" asbestos tile in my basement, and I wonder if it would
be ok to just remove the loose tiles, and then glue linoleum on top of
them? Also smooth out the removed tiles with floor cement compound.

If a few of the tiles have come loose, then the rest are about ready to
let go. I just finished a job like this. The tiles that weren't yet
loose came up mostly whole using only a steel prybar.

Check a few more tiles. You might have only a 15-minute job getting rid
of the whole mess.

The above is exactly how one gets exposed to asbestos. Do not disturb
them. Just cover them. That's the safe best way to handle them.

But they MUST be removed or they will continue to kill whoever lives
in that house. In fact 100% of everyone exposed to asbestos will die,
sooner or later. So, you really should be experiencing a severe panic
because your life has been threatened just from living in a house with
asbestos.

You seem extremely phobic about this, and rightfully so. No one
should spend their lives living in fear. However I can help. Right
after reading this message, I formed an asbestos abatement company. I
will remove your tiles at the very reasonable cost of $50 per square
foot of tiled floor, plus the cost of materials and plane fare and/or
other transportation to and from the job.

Just think how much better you'll sleep at night knowing these tiles
are gone, and no longer poisoning your home. But dont delay, every
minute of your time spent in that house is one minute closer to your
death. You need to act immediately or all your worst fears about
asbestos will come true, and that will occur soon. ACT NOW.

I dont give out the phone number online, but you can reach my company
by email.

Franks Asbestos Abatement Service

Email open 24 hours a day.

Since you'll be my first customer, I'd like to offer you a $10
discount on the job. Simply copy and paste this message to your
email, and you'll get this discount. However, you MUST act within the
next 24 hours to receive this discount.

Frank

President of: Franks Asbestos Abatement Service

He got his email wrong though, its