Posted to alt.home.repair
Melissa

Default Help with uneven tile basement floor?

I have a 1966 rambler and the basement rec room has vinyl tiles. I had
sump pumps put in. The company pointed out that the tiles and mastic
might contain asbestos, assured me that they were experts in dealing
with this, and then as far as I can tell took no special abatement
steps at all. Instead, the company jackhammered up a broad band around
the room, laid in the drainage pipe, and then cemented it over. They
meticulously evened the cement to be even with the rest of the cement
floor - which means that it is about 1/8 to 1/4 inch below the level of
the top of the tiles. Putting aside for the moment the possible health
risk to their workers and to us home residents, I now have an uneven
floor with a lower band of cement around ancient vinyl tiles.

After thinking about various possible flooring surfaces, I thought a
nice laminate might be a good idea. However, I am concerned that the
uneveness will result in project failure (and possibly void the
warranty). There are two possibilities that I see: removing the rest
of the tile, or using a leveling compound around the perimeter of the
room to get everything level to the top of the tiles before laying
laminate. I read an interesting post by someone who popped off ancient
vinyl tiles by putting blocks of dry ice on top of them. Others have
said that leveling compound is difficult to work with and the job
requires two people.

Which way would you go? Would you a) do it yourself, b) try to level
or try to remove the tiles, c) give up laminate and do something else?
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Melissa wrote:
snip
[...]

If the existing tile is not coming loose then a floor leveler is a good
idea. The mix & pour kind will probably not work well in your
situation because you are working with such a shallow depression. It
would probably be worth your time to go to a tile store ,not the Borgs,
and ask what they recommend. It shouldn't be that difficult to lay out
the material and screed it using the existing tile as a guide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

More asbestos paranoia..........
Unless you grind or sand the tiles the particles will not become
airborne, and are not harmful at all. There has been far too much
paranoia created about asbestos in order to make a big profit. Get a
heavy duty scraper and pop off the tiles. A heat gun (or blow torch
used safely) will help.

Mark

On 12 Jun 2006 04:12:37 -0700, "Melissa"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the tiles are a real pain in the ass to get up dry ice
will help.

I would wet down the tiles well before poping them up.
Once you are done with getting the tiles off, you'll most
likely be stuck with a black glue that was used to
hold those tiles down. That can contain asbestos too... GREAT!

I put a coat of basement floor paint over the whole thing
to seal it up. Eventually I wam going to put carpet over the
whole thing myself.

If you plan on tiling it or something, I wouldnt paint it put
put on a nice coat of latex adhesive primer available in
the tile isle (with the thinset etc) at Home Depot.

Tom

grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:
I'd be leary about using a lot of dry ice in a basement.... unless its
well ventilated. All the "smoke" you see when dry ice melts is carbon
dioxide. I may be wrong, but if the basement is not well ventilated
and you're down there with a lot of it, you may find yourself passing
out. Maybe not...... but just a thought.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Melissa

There is yet another possibility -- I could install tile in the
perimeter to level the floor and then laminate over it . . .

Posted to alt.home.repair
Melissa

There is yet another possibility -- I could install tile in the
perimeter to level the floor and then laminate over it . . .

Posted to alt.home.repair
Melissa

There is yet another possibility -- I could install tile in the
perimeter to level the floor and then laminate over it . . .

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the tiles are vinyl asbestos, (12" x 12") they are most likely
glued with multi-purpose flooring adhesive (tan). As far as I know,
there is no asbestos in the glue. If they are the 9" x 9" asphalt
tile, the adhesive is mostly tar (black). I have heard there may be
asbestos in the tar. But once again, it's suspended in the tar and
unless you grind it, it's well contained in the tar and is not harmful
because it can not get into the air, therefore not get into your
lungs. Asbestos is only harmful if it gets in your lungs. You could
probably eat it, and not get sick (not that I'd recommend eating it).
Just dont breathe it.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
lee_houston

"Melissa" wrote in message
oups.com...
There is yet another possibility -- I could install tile in the
perimeter to level the floor and then laminate over it .

or put porous astroturf over the area and forgetaboutit. drains well.
assuming you don't want a 'formal' basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Melissa

I think I've got it -- applying self-stick vinyl tile, cheapest
possible, of same width, around the perimeter of the floor. I will put
laminate over it. Thanks!