Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help with uneven tile basement floor?

More asbestos paranoia..........
Unless you grind or sand the tiles the particles will not become
airborne, and are not harmful at all. There has been far too much
paranoia created about asbestos in order to make a big profit. Get a
heavy duty scraper and pop off the tiles. A heat gun (or blow torch
used safely) will help.

Mark

On 12 Jun 2006 04:12:37 -0700, "Melissa"
wrote:

I have a 1966 rambler and the basement rec room has vinyl tiles. I had
sump pumps put in. The company pointed out that the tiles and mastic
might contain asbestos, assured me that they were experts in dealing
with this, and then as far as I can tell took no special abatement
steps at all. Instead, the company jackhammered up a broad band around
the room, laid in the drainage pipe, and then cemented it over. They
meticulously evened the cement to be even with the rest of the cement
floor - which means that it is about 1/8 to 1/4 inch below the level of
the top of the tiles. Putting aside for the moment the possible health
risk to their workers and to us home residents, I now have an uneven
floor with a lower band of cement around ancient vinyl tiles.

After thinking about various possible flooring surfaces, I thought a
nice laminate might be a good idea. However, I am concerned that the
uneveness will result in project failure (and possibly void the
warranty). There are two possibilities that I see: removing the rest
of the tile, or using a leveling compound around the perimeter of the
room to get everything level to the top of the tiles before laying
laminate. I read an interesting post by someone who popped off ancient
vinyl tiles by putting blocks of dry ice on top of them. Others have
said that leveling compound is difficult to work with and the job
requires two people.

Which way would you go? Would you a) do it yourself, b) try to level
or try to remove the tiles, c) give up laminate and do something else?
Thanks.