Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default 3 more HVAC questions, (oil furnace)

1) What do you know about Thermo-Pride oil furnaces? Model OH5-85 if
that helps.

2) How do Riello oil burners compare to Becket in quality, or any
other factor that might matter to me?

Even if they are better, would I be better off with a Becket since
they are so much more common and better known to servicemen, and
probably easier to get parts? (The only parts I've ever needed are
nozzles and much less often, electrodes, but maybe I was lucky.)

3) Silly question but my evaporator case has lips on two sides that
are used to screw it to the furnace**, but the pictures of Goodman
evap-cases show no lips. Is it glues on or what? :-) That is, can I
buy an evap as wide as the furnace is?

**Strangely, one side is not exactly staight and -- I wish I'd noticed
this earlier -- air blows out between the furnace and the pleneum when
the furnace is on. Strangely, it's cool air!

btw, The depth of all the Goodman 2.5 ton cased coils is 21 inches,
and the width varies from 14 to 21. (Up to 24.5 for more tons) Now,
which dimension is which?

Thanks a lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:09:44 -0500, mm
wrote:

btw, The depth of all the Goodman 2.5 ton cased coils is 21 inches,
and the width varies from 14 to 21. (Up to 24.5 for more tons) Now,
which dimension is which?

Sorry. The last sentence was a note to myself. I'll figure out
whether the narrow dimension the side where the lines come out, or the
wide.

Unless you guys know.

Thanks a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

btw, The depth of all the Goodman 2.5 ton cased coils is 21 inches,
and the width varies from 14 to 21. (Up to 24.5 for more tons) Now,
which dimension is which?

Sorry. The last sentence was a note to myself. I'll figure out
whether the narrow dimension the side where the lines come out, or the
wide.

Okay, the openings come out the Width side, which varies from 14 to
21. The other dimension is always 21, which is 1 inch longer than the
width of some furnaces. Is this such a big problem? I can have it
overhang the furnace by one inch and just screw a 1.5" piece of
galvanized sheet metal under the open inch.

I can caulk it with that 3M Fire Block or Fire Barrier that was
written abouth here.

Then I can have the openings on the side where they are now.

Won't that work as well as in front?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 10:09*am, mm wrote:
1) What do you know about Thermo-Pride oil furnaces? *Model OH5-85 if
that helps.

2) *How do Riello oil burners compare to Becket in quality, or any
other factor that might matter to me?

Even if they are better, would I be better off with a Becket since
they are so much more common and better known to servicemen, and
probably easier to get parts? *(The only parts I've ever needed are
nozzles and much less often, electrodes, but maybe I was lucky.)

3) Silly question but my evaporator case has lips on two sides that
are used to screw it to the furnace**, but the pictures of Goodman
evap-cases show no lips. *Is it glues on or what? *:-) *That is, can I
buy an evap as wide as the furnace is?

Yes. That's exactly how they work unless you need to use a bigger
coil/case than the furnace dimensions, which is the exception. They
come with small angle iron that gets screwed to the top of the
furnace.
The case then sits in that frame you just created and then gets
screwed in from the side.

**Strangely, one side is not exactly staight and -- I wish I'd noticed
this earlier -- air blows out between the furnace and the pleneum when
the furnace is on. *Strangely, it's cool air!

btw, The depth of all the Goodman 2.5 ton cased coils is 21 inches,
and the width varies from 14 to 21. (Up to 24.5 for more tons) *Now,
which dimension is which?

Thanks a lot.

The depth is what we would call front to back and is the same across
many furnaces in the same product line. The width varies based
on the furnace capacity within that line.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 07:53:33 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Jan 31, 10:09*am, mm wrote:
[...]

Wonderful. That will look nice.

**Strangely, one side is not exactly staight and -- I wish I'd noticed
this earlier -- air blows out between the furnace and the pleneum when
the furnace is on. *Strangely, it's cool air!

btw, The depth of all the Goodman 2.5 ton cased coils is 21 inches,
and the width varies from 14 to 21. (Up to 24.5 for more tons) *Now,
which dimension is which?

Thanks a lot.

The depth is what we would call front to back and is the same across
many furnaces in the same product line. The width varies based
on the furnace capacity within that line.

Wonderful.

Thanks a lot.