Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Epoxy Internal Coatings For Copper House Water Lines To Eliminate

Hello,

Have had a few pinhole leaks in house Copper water pipes.

Certainly don't want to re-plumb the whole house !

Anyone have any experience with the epoxy lining treatment for these
house water pipes ? Please see:
http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-I...xy-pipe-lining

Was also particularly wondering about:

- Health safety aspects of drinking water thru epoxy pipes ?

- how do they handle pumping the epoxy with all the valves in the house;
faucets, shower valves, etc. ?

- what happens at the 90 degree elbows ?

- how "popular" is this technique ? Proven, experimental, etc. ?

- what are the negatives and caveats to this approach; there are
undoubtedly, I would think, some ? Cost aspects ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have had a few pinhole leaks in house Copper water pipes.

Certainly don't want to re-plumb the whole house !

Anyone have any experience with the epoxy lining treatment for these
house water pipes ? Please see:
http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-I...xy-pipe-lining

Was also particularly wondering about:

- Health safety aspects of drinking water thru epoxy pipes ?

- how do they handle pumping the epoxy with all the valves in the house;
faucets, shower valves, etc. ?

- what happens at the 90 degree elbows ?

- how "popular" is this technique ? Proven, experimental, etc. ?

- what are the negatives and caveats to this approach; there are
undoubtedly, I would think, some ? Cost aspects ?

Thanks,
Bob

Hi,
If I were you I'd not mess around with things like that. Fix the problem
proper and live happily ever after. If you keep trying gadgetry,
at the end the money spent will be lot more than fixing right first time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 7:13*pm, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have had a few pinhole leaks in house Copper water pipes.

Certainly don't want to re-plumb the whole house !

Anyone have any experience with the epoxy lining treatment for these
house water pipes ? *Please see:http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-I...xy-pipe-lining

Was also particularly wondering about:

- Health safety aspects of drinking water thru epoxy pipes ?

- how do they handle pumping the epoxy with all the valves in the house;
faucets, shower valves, etc. ?

- what happens at the 90 degree elbows ?

- how "popular" is this technique ? *Proven, experimental, etc. ?

- what are the negatives and caveats to this approach; there are
undoubtedly, I would think, some ? *Cost aspects ?

Hey Bob. This is really the same question as your earlier thread.
Probably best to keep the whole shebang in one thread, including
aspects that go off on a tangent.

That article link you posted addressed the cost.
"Water supply pipe epoxy relining generally costs about the same as
removing the old pipes and installing new ones; including the cost of
average surface refinishing after the fact. The homeowner benefits
from the longer warranty on the epoxy method and the quicker
completion. Homeowners with upgraded finishes and larger homes will
find the relining process to be the least cost approach."

I don't recall you answering where exactly the pinhole leaks
occurred. At fittings? All over the house? Middle of runs?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default From OP: Epoxy Internal Coatings For Copper House Water Lines

Hi,

Leaks seem to be only (so far) in horiz. run on ceiling.
True "pinhole" size.
One at end of run, one in middle.

Ah, the joys of owning a home !

Thanks for help, appreciate it
Bob
--------------

On 1/26/2011 8:26 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 26, 7:13 pm, wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 7:13 pm, *wrote:
[...]

R- Hide quoted text -

I would replumb with PEX using a manifold and homeruns to each
fixture.

PEX is cheap, tolerates freezing, with homeruns no buried Ts in walls
etc.

PEX is the way to go.

I wouldnt want to use water after it laid in epoxy coated lines, and
any coating will mae lines smaller

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 7:13 pm, *wrote:
[...]

any coating will mae lines smaller- Hide quoted text -

This is the first I've read of lining fresh water pipes. I've heard
of it done
for sewer pipes. Even, then, I've only read about it, don't know of
anyone
who actually had it done. Would suspect it's not that common.
Likely
because of the cost issue, which the link addresses. If the cost is
about
the same as replacing with copper or PEX, I would think the only
advantage to lining would be for cases where replacement would be
very difficult, eg below slabs inside a house, etc.

The epoxy is probably safe, but if it were me, I wouldn't trust it.
I'd be
worried that even if epoxy is theoretically safe, how do you know the
mix used in your pipe was completely blended, cured, etc?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 10:24*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
The epoxy is probably safe, but if it were me, I wouldn't trust it.
I'd be
worried that even if epoxy is theoretically safe, how do you know the
mix used in your pipe was completely blended, cured, etc?

We have an epoxy guy on board, Paul Oman. I wonder what he knows about
this. Maybe he's in the lav smoking a cigar.

Drinking water after the epoxy cured wouldn't bother me any but I
really have to question how they get a good layer on the top half of
the pipes. It's got to be a liquid and that means gravity is going to
affect it. In the case of waste pipes having a better coating on the
bottom side of horizontal pipes is probably a good thing. Not so with
pipes under pressure. I agree pex from a manifold is a superior
plumbing solution but I would not replumb a house because of a few
pinhole leaks in some copper pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 10:41*am, jamesgangnc wrote:

I agree pex from a manifold is a superior
plumbing solution but I would not replumb a house because of a few
pinhole leaks in some copper pipe.

I don't understand your logic. Why else would you replumb a house
other than the fact that leaks are occurring in random places? That
was the reason I asked Bob about where the leaks occurred. Since one
was at the end of a run (fitting/flux problem possibly) and the other
in the middle of a run (probably bad pipe or bad water - and both of
those are system wide problems), I'd be seriously looking at
investigating further - pipe surgery - with an eye toward replacing
whole runs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jan 27, 10:53*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 27, 10:41*am, jamesgangnc wrote:

I agree pex from a manifold is a superior
plumbing solution but I would not replumb a house because of a few
pinhole leaks in some copper pipe.

I don't understand your logic. *Why else would you replumb a house
other than the fact that leaks are occurring in random places? *That
was the reason I asked Bob about where the leaks occurred. *Since one
was at the end of a run (fitting/flux problem possibly) and the other
in the middle of a run (probably bad pipe or bad water - and both of
those are system wide problems), I'd be seriously looking at
investigating further - pipe surgery - with an eye toward replacing
whole runs.

I don't think I've *ever* seen a pinhole leak in a properly installed
copper water pipe... and some in my house are probably original to the
house (late 40's) what would cause this? certain contaminants in
water? I guess I've never lived in an area where I had to worry about
such things

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default From OP: Epoxy Internal Coatings For Copper House Water Lines To Eliminate Pinhole Leaks: Opinions On ?

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:36:07 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

N8N wrote:
[...]

One word - flouridation.

Do you have a thought to go with that word?

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 2:20*pm, N8N wrote:
On Jan 27, 12:40*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 27, 10:59*am, N8N wrote:

I don't think I've *ever* seen a pinhole leak in a properly installed
copper water pipe... and some in my house are probably original to the
house (late 40's) what would cause this? *certain contaminants in
water? *I guess I've never lived in an area where I had to worry about
such things

If you're using a municipal water supply you most likely won't have
heard of the problem. *Well water is another story. *You've heard of
hard and soft water, right? *Well the minerals in hard water can wreak
havoc with plumbing.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_wa...of_copper_tube

My parents are on a well... no probs... *grandparents were too when
they lived out in the country, don't know when the indoor plumbing
dated from but house was built in 1880s. *Again a lot of that copper
was probably original install. *Don't remember hearing of any probs
there.

In fact, the only plumbing issues that I ever remember having all had
to do with water heaters, and most of those were T&P valves that got
weak, popped off, and didn't close again. *One tank rusted through.

Alright. So I guess they didn't have hard water then, or they had a
water softened installed.

Personal experience doesn't count for a lot unless you've experienced
something. You may quote me.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jan 27, 10:59*am, N8N wrote:

[...]

No water softener; water felt a little hard but was never tested. And
I agree with you. I was not trying to be argumentative, I really just
have all my life had the idea in my head that copper water pipe was
not something that ever went bad, and this whole discussion is
completely new to me.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 10:59*am, N8N wrote:

[...]

No sweat. Nothing lasts forever (well, maybe gold), and certain
things that seem more or less bulletproof, aren't, if you have the
right bullet. Certain minerals and elements react just fine with
copper - meaning it's not fine for you and your plumbing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 26, 6:13*pm, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have had a few pinhole leaks in house Copper water pipes.

Certainly don't want to re-plumb the whole house !

Anyone have any experience with the epoxy lining treatment for these
house water pipes ? *Please see:http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-I...xy-pipe-lining

Was also particularly wondering about:

- Health safety aspects of drinking water thru epoxy pipes ?

- how do they handle pumping the epoxy with all the valves in the house;
faucets, shower valves, etc. ?

- what happens at the 90 degree elbows ?

- how "popular" is this technique ? *Proven, experimental, etc. ?

- what are the negatives and caveats to this approach; there are
undoubtedly, I would think, some ? *Cost aspects ?

Thanks,
Bob

An exercise in futility.
Do it right.
Do it once.
Do it frugally.
Do it in PEX.
Not redoing the whole house with something that works makes people
wonder why you insist on a band aid solution that is known to have
many caveats and is very costly.
Time now to get on with finding a good plumbing contractor. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 10:51*pm, Joe wrote:
On Jan 26, 6:13*pm, Bob wrote:

[...]

Joe- Hide quoted text -

well its his wallet, no cost to me when he tries having insides of
water lines coated, and gets a leak later....

he can let us know how it goes, and give perodic reports. and if a
leak still occurs in future, how much it cost to fix.....

floods are pricey repairs......
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Jan 27, 9:02*pm, " wrote:
On Jan 27, 10:51*pm, Joe wrote:

On Jan 26, 6:13*pm, Bob wrote:

[...]

==
The concept of internal epoxy coatings for copper pipes is one that
should be abandoned as it is not a feasible solution...period.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 10:53*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 27, 10:41*am, jamesgangnc wrote:

I agree pex from a manifold is a superior
plumbing solution but I would not replumb a house because of a few
pinhole leaks in some copper pipe.

I don't understand your logic. *Why else would you replumb a house
other than the fact that leaks are occurring in random places? *That
was the reason I asked Bob about where the leaks occurred. *Since one
was at the end of a run (fitting/flux problem possibly) and the other
in the middle of a run (probably bad pipe or bad water - and both of
those are system wide problems), I'd be seriously looking at
investigating further - pipe surgery - with an eye toward replacing
whole runs.

Maybe if this was the thrid or forth time he had the same problem but
he's just had one problem. That could simply have been a bad piece of
pipe. Tearing out all the pipe and replacing it will be expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 7:53*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

The pipe leaked in two place, not one, and the OP said the pipe was
eaten away.
Pinhole leaks can be just as damaging as a catastrophic leak. Pinhole
leaks may not show up for months or years, and by then mold and rot
will be a bigger problem.
I did say that I would investigate the situation of the pipes more
fully to help determine what needs to be done. That was the last
sentence of what you quoted.
Not tearing out pipes could be just as expensive, or more so, than not
tearing them out when he should have.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Jan 28, 8:13*am, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

Sounds like the water being pushed through these copper pipes must be
highly acidic...what gives with that?
==

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roy wrote:

The concept of internal epoxy coatings for copper pipes is one that
should be abandoned as it is not a feasible solution...period.
==

Why is that?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Jan 28, 3:57*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Roy wrote:
The concept of internal epoxy coatings for copper pipes is one that
should be abandoned as it is not a feasible solution...period.
==

Why is that?

==
The cost for one thing, contamination of potable water is another and
the best one is that it is totally impractical for the DIY person to
learn how to totally screw up hi/her system with an untried process as
an experiment. If you need to replace the pipes, just DO IT. That is
what plumbers do...hire one...or two...or three if necessary.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 14:57:05 -0800, "Bob F" wrote:

Roy wrote:

The concept of internal epoxy coatings for copper pipes is one that
should be abandoned as it is not a feasible solution...period.
==

Why is that?

How well does the epoxy stand up to soldering temperatures?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Roy wrote:

The concept of internal epoxy coatings for copper pipes is one that
should be abandoned as it is not a feasible solution...period.
==

Why is that?

How well does the epoxy stand up to soldering temperatures?

Ignore the man behind the curtain!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 09:04:19 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

Roy wrote:

The concept of internal epoxy coatings for copper pipes is one that
should be abandoned as it is not a feasible solution...period.
==

Why is that?

How well does the epoxy stand up to soldering temperatures?

Ignore the man behind the curtain!

Get out from under mommy's skirt!