Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Beeping can't find the reason

I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/24/2011 09:00 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

dishwasher door opened before the cycle finished, and not relatched?
seen that on two GE's. if you unload it while the "heat dry" cycle is
still going, it'll sit there and beep plaintively at you until you latch
the door (and then it'll finish the cycle.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I
have ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And
even some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds
to me like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it
might be. Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the
long time frame between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

Burglar alarm or, more likely, carbon monoxide detector.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/24/2011 09:06 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 01/24/2011 09:00 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

dishwasher door opened before the cycle finished, and not relatched?
seen that on two GE's. if you unload it while the "heat dry" cycle is
still going, it'll sit there and beep plaintively at you until you latch
the door (and then it'll finish the cycle.)

nate

nother thot... UPS trying to tell you that its battery needs replacement?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:07:18 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I
have ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And
even some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds
to me like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it
might be. Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the
long time frame between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

Burglar alarm or, more likely, carbon monoxide detector.

My smoke detectors continue to chirp after the batteries are removed. The
first time it happened I continued to look for the culprit for some time after
it was taken care of. Happened again Sunday morning at 4:00AM (though this
time I knew it was going to continue). Stupid things!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tinnitus?

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I
have ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And
even some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds
to me like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it
might be. Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the
long time frame between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

You can't sit still for two minutes?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

Anything related to your computer?
A remote control for something hidden under a couch cushion?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I
have ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And
even some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds
to me like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it
might be. Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the
long time frame between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

Burglar alarm or, more likely, carbon monoxide detector.

Nah, we checked those. The CO detectors are part of the smoke detectors.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Nate Nagel wrote:

On 01/24/2011 09:00 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

dishwasher door opened before the cycle finished, and not relatched?
seen that on two GE's. if you unload it while the "heat dry" cycle is
still going, it'll sit there and beep plaintively at you until you latch
the door (and then it'll finish the cycle.)

Checked and no, but thanks.

nate

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"A. Baum" wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 21:00:27 -0500, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

Could be something like an answering machine reminding of a message.
Other than that. Two minutes isn't that long of a wait to locate the
beeping. Now if it beeped ever 30 minutes I might give up but not 2
minutes to sit it out.

No answering machine. Two minutes, for me anyway, is hard because I
tend to lose track of where I heard the last time by the time is beeps
the next time (g).

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

Do you have a UPS (battery backup) for a computer???
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Dean Hoffman wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

Anything related to your computer?
A remote control for something hidden under a couch cushion?

We turned off the computer, and printer, etc. All remotes are accounted
for.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:30:58 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

Anything related to your computer?
A remote control for something hidden under a couch cushion?

Cushion? hehe.
Giving me ideas.
I bought a Fart Machine in a joke shop in Florida.
Put it anywhere. I like to tape it under a chair.
Then hit the little remote control. Always a different fart,
Yeah, yeah, lowbrow. The 3 Stooges crack me up too.

But I'm thinking a little faint beeping sounder might sell too.
Could work with remote, could be a random timing, never too close
together. Could be real tiny.
Good way to drive the spouse crazy.
I'd get 2, with different signal remotes.
Hide one under a couch, beep it a couple times so the wife gets close,
waiting to pin it down.
Then I'd hit the remote for the one hidden in another room.
Yep, I'd buy.
No, I'm not a prick.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cordless phone off the charger, battery dying?

Otherwise I think you're gonna have to spend four minutes in each room
of the house...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

Your wife's boobs are low on air pressure. Pump them up again....
Your penis pump need recharging?

Got any old digital watches with alarms? Or an unused old cellphone?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

[snip]

dishwasher door opened before the cycle finished, and not relatched?
seen that on two GE's. if you unload it while the "heat dry" cycle is
still going, it'll sit there and beep plaintively at you until you latch
the door (and then it'll finish the cycle.)

nate

I know someone who has a bad habit of interrupting the microwave by opening
the door and NEVER completing the cycle (just press the cancel button). Some
microwaves beep when this happens.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one
young soul with the superstitions of the Christian religion." --
Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

There's too many things around here that beep. It can take a long time to
find the guilty one.

Computers can beep when overheated.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one
young soul with the superstitions of the Christian religion." --
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 9:14*pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

There's too many things around here that beep. It can take a long time to
find the guilty one.

Computers can beep when overheated.

--
Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.us

"The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one
young soul with the superstitions of the Christian religion." --
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Disconnecting the load on an UPS doesn't keep it from beeping if its
internal betteries are dying.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The one time I had that happen, it was my old smoke
detector. I threw it on a shelf, with the battery still in
it. When I put up a new detector. Mine beeped Sunday AM
before church.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two
minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave.
And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc.
Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it
might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long
time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the
ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and
something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke

Posted to alt.home.repair

He's got that beeping ADHD stuff.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jon Danniken" wrote
in message ...

You can't sit still for two minutes?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Microwave gets all hot and bothered, and you yank your stuff
out? i'd beep, too.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message

I know someone who has a bad habit of interrupting the
microwave by opening
the door and NEVER completing the cycle (just press the
cancel button). Some
microwaves beep when this happens.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever
shadowing one
young soul with the superstitions of the Christian
religion." --
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2011 8:00 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

Back in the late 70's I worked at an electronic repair depot and me and
one of my coworkers built a little box with a piezoelectric buzzer and
a 555 timer that produced a short "beep" every 5 minutes or so. We hid
it in a crazy girl neighbor's closet in her apartment. It made her a lot
more crazy. We distracted her and retrieved the beeper after several
months and of course every time she asked us for assistance in
tracking down the noise, we pretended not to hear it. It was in her
bedroom closet. :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2011 8:00 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

Wieser power deadbolt lock

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

Get a stopwatch or even better, an automatic resetting digital timer. Set
*it* to beep a second or two *before* the problem device beeps. That will
make you aware of when to listen for the problem beep. Stand sideways in
the doorway of each room, one ear facing in, one facing out, just before the
beep occurs.

It'll take a few tries, but eventually you'll be able to locate the rogue
device. Works for me and I have a house littered with smoke alarms and
gadgets that beep. Electronic devices are usually quite regular in their
intervals, so the stopwatch "trick" usually works quite well but it does
take a little patience because it's so hard to localize an intermittent
noise. Works even better with two people and four ears trying to localize
each beep by listening for it just before it happens.

A timer of some sort is essential to track this down. It usually takes me
under 10 minutes to find the culprit. The trick is to be standing in a
position where you can use your "stereo" hearing to locate the noise source.
That's why standing in a doorway sideways is helpful. Makes it much easier
to tell whether the sound is in or outside a room.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

Have you tried following the sound? That might work.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Microwave gets all hot and bothered, and you yank your stuff
out? i'd beep, too.

You're a female?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Do you have a UPS (battery backup) for a computer???

Nope.

Well, you should.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 8:00*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
*---PJ O'Rourke

Are you over-weight? Maybe this happens when you back-up?! ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

The last one that drove me crazy was a Oregon Scientific remote
thermometer that sits 4 feet from my head on my bad ear side. It
had the very faintest of alarms on it. By the time I heard it,
determined it wasn't tinnitus, and went looking for it, it had
stopped. After a month or two I noticed that it always happened
during the news. Then that it started at 6:18. . . . took a day
or two to remember that there was a clock [and calendar] on the damn
thermometer. The bottom button turns the alrm on and off--

Crap.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

I had the same problem. Turned out to be an oral digital thermometer in
the kitchen drawer. Sometimes these things drive you crazy. Sometimes
it' the TV.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote in
m:

I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

Smoke detectors....that are packed away in a box?

Had that happen to me quite a number of months after moving.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 07:09:18 -0500, Frank wrote:
Maybe, at wits end, turn off all house power and if beep continues you
can assume something with a battery. You'll also be able to hear better
with all background noises off.

That'd be my advice, too. Actually, it is my advice, too. :-)

Last time I did that, it turned out to be an ancient smoke alarm that had
once started beeping, then stopped, and I'd thrown on a shelf in the
basement about a year before, figuring that the battery had given out and
the whole thing was due for replacement anyway.

Quite why it suddenly decided to beep again a year later I don't know,
but of course I'd forgotten it was there by then and it took me a while
to work out where the noise was coming from (it'd beep once every 5
minutes or so, too, which is an annoying length of time to be standing
around trying to pinpoint the next beep! :-)

Amazing how much quieter the house is when there's not the fridge,
computers etc. all running.

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote in
:

On Jan 24, 8:00*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I
have ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And
even some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds
to me like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it
might be. Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the
long time frame between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus
tree is

to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
*---PJ O'Rourke

Are you over-weight? Maybe this happens when you back-up?! ;-)

Um-back bro, um-back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Are you over-weight? Maybe this happens when you back-up?! ;-)

You win the prize of the funniest post of the day.. :-)

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

No, but then again I'm not a microwave, either. I was
speaking on behalf of frustrated microwaves every where.
Unite! You have only to lose your bands!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Microwave gets all hot and bothered, and you yank your
stuff
out? i'd beep, too.

You're a female?

Consumer unit trips without reason that I can find [email protected] UK diy 25 February 27th 08 12:28 PM
Beeping Bosch Skipweasel UK diy 14 November 15th 07 09:11 PM
Beeping from attic Chris Home Repair 15 October 27th 07 04:45 AM
GE Gas range keeps beeping yaofeng Home Repair 0 August 16th 06 04:03 PM
Beeping from attic Chris Home Ownership 6 July 25th 06 10:37 PM